ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
(registration and/or Login Help ONLY) For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

Crosley Pup Problem

Go down 
AuthorMessage
atwaterkent
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Crosley Pup Problem   August 12th 2018, 7:40 pm

I have a Crosley Pup that I recently purchased. I get a few of my area's stronger stations in clearly but about the middle of the radio's frequency range all the stations just play over each other, no signal separation. I have 150 ft of attic antenna and a cold water pipe ground hooked up to it. I've tried different tubes (99's worked the best) but still can't get the stations in clearly. The radio looks all original and in great shape except for a slight crack in the tube socket.  Is this just the way this radio is?
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Crosley Pup Problem   August 12th 2018, 9:30 pm

I would say yes and no. This is based on the sets I was checking out and operating in the Bay Area of California in the 1970s that had several 50KW radio stations. Signal overload was a problem on some of these sets. Radio manufacturers were aware of this problem back in the 1920s and recommended shorter antennas over very long ones to avoid overload and broad tuning that would result from nearby local broadcast stations while trying to get weaker distant stations. A strong local station might be running 250W in those days. Some manufacturers incorporated additional circuitry in their sets to try and deal with the problem.

Now back to your problem. I was interested in how well these simple, low cost Crosley sets worked. I tried out a Crosley 51 which is about the same as the Pup with a stage of audio added. I wasn't very impressed with the results. It was only capable of pulling in a few local stations. I can't recall getting any distant stations even at night. Now I don't remember getting several stations at once like you are experiencing. I do remember having this same problem while operating simple crystal sets that I had built earlier on that featured only one tuned circuit. The Pup and 51 have only one tuned circuit too. But the Crosley sets have the advantage of employing a tube type detector with regeneration. Careful adjustment of the regeneration control should afford improved selectivity a well as more gain. I would also recommend trying a shorter antenna and see if that helps. However, I don't think any of the early Crosleys will come up to the level of Westinghouse's RADA set which I found to be an excellent performer. 73, Rod  N4QNX
Back to top Go down
atwaterkent
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Crosley Pup Problem   August 13th 2018, 4:09 am

Rod, I have a Crosley 51 and in my area it is excellent at bringing in many stations clearly, that's what makes the problem with the Pup so perplexing. One would think that the reception would be similar.
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Crosley Pup Problem   August 13th 2018, 7:25 am

Yes. I was thinking that too. Same components and all. Just repackaged. Well, I only had the one model 51. It came with a pair of WD-12 tubes. Probably not fair to do a review based on one sample from recollections of forty years ago. Sorry about that.  

I guess we'll have to wait on someone to write up a report on their experiences with a Crosley Pup. I never had one myself. They were getting expensive even back in the 1970s when I was most active. I did had an ACE V at one point. I forget how that set fits into the line up. 

Didn't Powell Crosley Jr. buy out some existing manufacturer and get the Armstrong regenerative license in the process? He sure was prolific in his use of it. Crosley sets were popular with the collectors. I always wanted to get a Trirdyn model to try out. Maybe someday. 

I suppose you did some checking on your Pup. I would think there is not much to go wrong in one.  Well, good luck.

73, Rod  N4QNX
Back to top Go down
atwaterkent
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Crosley Pup Problem   August 13th 2018, 11:49 am

Rod, I do have a Tridyn 3R3 Special which is on the best receivers I have.  Picks ups all the stations clearly. I never found a schematic for it, none had the loading coil. Here's some pic's.

Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Crosley Pup Problem   August 13th 2018, 5:49 pm

Atwaterkent

Riders Volume I, page 1-16, has a schematic for the Trirdyn with the loading coil. You can find Riders Manuals online for free at Nostalgia Air (nostalgiaair.org). I go there often for schematics. They have a few manuals too in another section of the website.

73, Rod  N4QNX
Back to top Go down
atwaterkent
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Crosley Pup Problem   August 14th 2018, 12:24 pm

Thanks Rod !!! I have added that site to my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crosley Pup Problem   

Back to top Go down

Crosley Pup Problem
Page 1 of 1