ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
(registration and/or Login Help ONLY) For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

Can you handle that radio?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: Can you handle that radio?   September 28th 2018, 11:53 pm

So you have a radio, tube tester, signal generator, etc. with the flat leather handle rotted off.
 So what do you do? Go online & try to find another good original handle & pay big bux for it?

Nope. Not me.  I just go to the local charity store and find a GOOD REAL leather belt that is close to the correct width & thickness I need. A couple of cuts and Viola! a custom made handle, almost or identical to the original. Nice thing is you can cut the "arrow points" on the ends , dye it, or sew 2 or more layers together to get the right thickness.

Now if you have a saddle maker nearby, you might be able to score some cheap trimmings for a really tough leather for the handle.

The leather can be dyed by any shoemaker worth his salt too. They have a sewing machine tough enough to easily sew thru several layers of leather for the thicker handle.
 Last custom sewed one cost me $5.00, his minimum charge, and he dyed it black gratis!

Leather does come in various thicknesses/ weights. You might like to go online and research the thickness/ weight that will match up to what you need if you order it online.

Treat the leather with a special leather preservative oil too. Remember too much Neatsfoot oil will turn it soft and soggy. There are others that work better than Neatsfoot oil.

I have found "salvaged" leather belts to be very useful for replacing on trunk handles, tool boxes, etc. also. 

Typically, a used, real, solid leather belt should run just $2-3.00, and provide you with enough material for several handles. I find the longest ones I can and as wide as I can find, as it's easy to cut down the width to what you need. Be sure your cutting tool has a very sharp blade, as it makes cutting the leather much easier.
 Look closely, as some are faux leather made from a micro thin layer of leather and glued to vinyl. Useless for handles, as they have little strength, and will crack and break pretty easy.
Back to top Go down

Can you handle that radio?
Page 1 of 1