ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
(registration and/or Login Help ONLY) For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

Socket Within a Socket? Yes! Tube Testers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: Socket Within a Socket? Yes! Tube Testers   November 5th 2018, 11:38 pm

Most of us have old tube testers that we use at times.
Some folks have wondered: "What's that funny sort of socket in the middle of some Septal (7 pin large base) or octal sockets?
 Well, it's for testing bayonet or screw in type pilot lights.

Just set the filament selector for the correct voltage and touch the pilot light to the center terminal and sidewall of the "socket" within a socket. If it lights up, the bulb is good.
 But "Wait" you say. "I can test that bulb with my multimeter". Yes, you can, but it does not tell you how bright the bulb is. Nor will a meter tell you if the filament opens under load, (or is shorted) just that cold it has continuity.
  I have seen some with totally dark glass and no light from the bulb, but they test good on a meter. This alleviates that problem.

Hint: When testing pilot lights in a radio or TV set, flick the bulb glass with your finger, about as hard as you want someone to flick your nose.
 If the bulb still produces light, great, use it. If it goes out, it means the life span of the bulb was at an end. 
I learned this trick years back and sure saved me from having to remove a lot of chassis again to replace a bulb that failed in a month or so. Some pilot lights can be a nightmare to replace in the recesses of some of the early TV's and Radios.

Shocked Shocked Cool
Remember folks, you saw this here on this forum first! Join, and be up to date on the latest posts. Please keep in mind this Forum had data you can't easily find in other places, and many Hints & Kinks gleaned from well over 200 years combined experiences of the main posting members. This Forum only grows with your input, be it Hints, Fixes, or Questions.
 Please join to make a post, as it gives you access to some of the Members Only data.
It's FREE to join.
Back to top Go down

Socket Within a Socket? Yes! Tube Testers
Page 1 of 1