ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
(registration and/or Login Help ONLY) For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

Checking fuses, caps and resistors fast.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Checking fuses, caps and resistors fast.   November 17th 2018, 6:26 pm

I saw in a old electronics magazine a hint For testing a bunch of fuses to see whether they are good or not.
Here's what you do,
You take 2 either brass, Copper, Silver, flat metal strips
Put them side by side without touching each other but close Into a V shape. and glue them in place on a phonelic or plastic supporting board, The reason you put the strips in a V configuration is to adapt to the size of the fuses.

then connect (by soldering) one wire to each strip.
Connect A small light bulb in series, with one lead from a Low voltage ( step-down) transformer or
alternatively  you can use a battery.

Be sure and note the low bulb current draw at a maximum of 1/4 of the fuse rating to be safe.
Since The other strip is the return path for the voltage, hook that wire from the unused strip to the unused transformer wire or battery lead.

If the fuse is good You'll get the Light To light up.
This will indicate the fuse is good

------------------------

You could also use  Clips to replace the strips and remove the light and electrical source and replace with a Multimeter.  So you could measure quantities of resistors, or diodes or caps.

I have a ton of resistors that are new old stock and a big chunk of them are out of tolerance. I have an HP 8520A Bench Lab voltmeter and two bench Flukes 45 and 8840 A/AF.
The HP has a function that allows for inputting a range to measure resistance by setting the upper and lower limits. I can set it up to show as pass or no-pass.
Which makes it a lot faster then reading the actual value.

PostSubject: Re: Checking fuses, caps and resistors fast.   November 18th 2018, 5:32 pm

Nice idea for testing the resistors Cliff. I have a bunch to test and that might be the way to go.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Checking fuses, caps and resistors fast.   November 19th 2018, 10:46 am

I had a thought last night of making another one or in combination, with a set of long springs. It would make for solid contacts.

The component wires would be inserted between the spring coil wires and since the spring are expansion type, they would have enough tension when static to hold the wires in place allowing for no movement during testing.

PostSubject: Re: Checking fuses, caps and resistors fast.   November 19th 2018, 3:43 pm

About the long springs Cliff. Wondering if you need a way to hold the item in question down while testing. I'm thinking of my experiences with batteries sometimes. The spring on the negative side can tend to want to push the battery upwards out of its holder. Could the same happen here as well maybe?
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Checking fuses, caps and resistors fast.   November 20th 2018, 10:30 am

The spring idea was to use two springs soldered and put close to each other.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Cliff Jones on November 20th 2018, 10:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Checking fuses, caps and resistors fast.   November 20th 2018, 10:40 am

This is the 3rd type of spring style, a picture is worth a thousand words. It would be two leaf SETS of vertical springs.

PostSubject: Re: Checking fuses, caps and resistors fast.   November 20th 2018, 11:08 am

That clears it up for me Cliff. Thanks for the explanation.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Checking fuses, caps and resistors fast.   November 20th 2018, 12:27 pm

Fuse Tester - Resistor tester ( sorry first attempt at drawing) Top images - fuse and fuse block holder

Technician
Technician

PostSubject: Re: Checking fuses, caps and resistors fast.   November 20th 2018, 1:12 pm

I was thinking, for a jig to do leaded resistors on, You could use wire about the same size and strength as paper clip wire, put a loop in it to fasten to a block with a wire tied.  Then have it flat and straight from the loop and bend the wire ends to form an X.  do the same with another piece of wire and put it parallel to the other.  That way you could just place the resistor leads in the top of the X.  Connect the wires to your continuity indicator circuit or multimeter.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Checking fuses, caps and resistors fast.   

Back to top Go down

Checking fuses, caps and resistors fast.
Page 1 of 1