ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
(registration and/or Login Help ONLY) For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

Parts Storage Cabinets

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: Parts Storage Cabinets   November 20th 2018, 3:46 pm

Likely you have a number of the metal or plastic multi drawer storage cabinets full of goodies.

Its a real PITA to have to look thru every drawer to find what is in each drawer.

I tried sticky labels- they fall off after a while, cardboard tags in the front of the drawer- Works OK, but can fall over and you have to try to read it thru the plastic.

So my solution was to hot glue 1 of each item in the drawer to the front of it.

Now I can tell at a glance if its nuts of a certain size, bolts, washers, grommets, etc.
 Now if you glue nuts to the front, glue them flat. That way you can try a screw or bolt in them if you are not sure of the size. It can be hard to differentiate SAE from Metric.
 Also a small tag in the drawer givins size info cost, supplier, etc. can help a lot.

Again I will repeat the secret to moving the cabinets easily without  the drawers falling open.
 Just a couple of wraps of stretchy plastic wrap around the cabinet and you are ready to go.

I now carry a small roll of it in my vehicle, so when I G-sale or go to hamfairs and buy a cabinet full of stuff, it doesn't end up all over the seats & floor.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Parts Storage Cabinets   November 21st 2018, 10:29 am

Spray contact cement will work but very difficult to remove labels. So just paste another label if the need be required. Of course only apply to the back of the label, not the drawer.

Or use scotch tape, it also is a long time but still holds. It will degrade over time but a little orange cleaner will remove adhesive if allowed to soak.

PostSubject: Re: Parts Storage Cabinets   November 25th 2018, 3:47 pm

I tried the scotch tape trick. It fails after a short time for me, leaving a nasty sticky mess. Sad
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Parts Storage Cabinets   November 25th 2018, 4:49 pm

One problem is, the type of plastic used for the drawers. Some are cross-link and so many types. I would like to find out what they use on medicine bottles. Some will be very hard to pull off and others are easy.

PostSubject: Re: Parts Storage Cabinets   November 25th 2018, 5:03 pm

I should mention that some adhesives can melt the drawer plastic too, or discolor/ craze it, or cause it to become so brittle it breaks the front off when opening the drawer.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Parts Storage Cabinets   November 25th 2018, 5:10 pm

Heres a good breakdown on plastic types.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: Parts Storage Cabinets   

Back to top Go down

Parts Storage Cabinets
Page 1 of 1