ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
(registration and/or Login Help ONLY) For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

Weller WTCP & Guns Repairs.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: Weller WTCP & Guns Repairs.   November 25th 2018, 4:49 pm

Now I am a cheap guy, and used Weller products for decades.

I have picked up a number of the WTCP series soldering irons.

The magnetic switches, heating elements and such became way too expensive to replace.
So I started picking up "parts" units at Hamfairs and garage sales.

Hint#1  I find them now at Hamfairs and boot sales. Typically 15-25$ in working cond. A complete parts unit should cost no more than 5 bux.

Hint [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] If you find one without the tip & sleeve, just turn it on and shove a small metal screwdriver in the end. If it starts heating up- the unit is good. You can also feel the magnet pull a bit, IIRC.

Hint [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The fuses in the bases often fail from age, and IIRC a 2A fuse with pigtail leads works great for replacement- or modify the base to add a fuse holder to it, and a pilot lite.

Hint [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] the power transformers do fail and I found a 24V secondary transformer works great to replace the OEM one. Sometimes I have to outboard them though. (At least that's what the U.S. models use.)

Hint [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Use an 800 degree tip. The reasoning behind this is the tip has enough heat as to bring the connection up to soldering temp, quickly, without damaging the PC board traces.
 A lower temp tip will cause you to leave the iron on the connection longer to heat it up, and often lift the PC trace from the board. ( I had to repair way too many peeled and broken traces caused by the field techs using a 600 deg tip. or one of those $1.95 irons. Ever try to repair most of the traces on a 40 pin IC the outside tech damaged the traces on? It is no fun.)

Hint [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The most common failures of "No heat" are: loose barrel assy or the wires in the base to the iron are open. Tighten the nut, and when you find the break in the cord, if its close to the strain relief (Most are) shorten the cord. Viola! working again.

Hint [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The loose barrel nuts on the older (Much better quality) Weller guns are the biggest cause of no heat on them too. Just loosen & retighten with a "real" wrench, not the flimsy one from the Weller gun kit. Round off the nuts on the older guns, and its difficult to get them loose without Vice Grip pliers.(Or find replacements now days!)
 The newer Weller guns use a set screw, and they strip out of the barrel collar all the time. Evil or Very Mad  I have re-tapped for a larger screw, but that was the best solution I found. Poor re-design IMHO.
Back to top Go down

Weller WTCP & Guns Repairs.
Page 1 of 1