ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
CAUTION!!! When New Members post and leave a link to click on It may be Malicious so DONT, until they have posted a lot of times.

Mouse & Rat Smell in Equipment & Shelving

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Mouse & Rat Smell in Equipment & Shelving Empty
PostSubject: Mouse & Rat Smell in Equipment & Shelving   Mouse & Rat Smell in Equipment & Shelving Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2019, 11:16 pm

A friend of mine went to Veterinary College.

I was complaining about the rat & mouse smell in some radios and some shelving I have.

She told me that in school they used a mix of 50/50% lemon scented ammonia and rubbing or denatured alcohol to kill the smell and sterilize the item.

I was dubious, but she was totally on the mark.
I made up a batch and sprayed a shelf in my shop where the critters had been leaving a mess, after wiping off what I could- wearing gloves of course, and disposing of the paper towels in a trash bag.

I put it in a spray bottle and squirted it down good., came back in 4 hrs, squirted it again.
 Came back the next day and the smell was gone!

I am still in awe how something so simple works so well.

Note # 1: She used the lemon scented ammonia "Because it smells a lot better than the regular stuff".
 So plain ammonia works in the mix, but you get the "benefit" of the ammonia smell.

Note # 2: Ammonia can cause corrosion in metal, so wipe it down well after the solution had done its job. I don't think I would want to spray parts with it, but cabinets and chassis.
 Use your own common sense & you should be ok. You may have to experiment a bit though.
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: Mouse & Rat Smell in Equipment & Shelving   Mouse & Rat Smell in Equipment & Shelving Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2019, 12:35 pm

Another item that works well that I got the P smell out of my '47 console was ODO-BAN.  They sell it at janitorial supply places and at Sam's Clubs.  It gives a heavy scent, and dissapates to nothing, taking the offending aroma with it.  It's also a fungicide, if you should have mold infestation.

Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Mouse & Rat Smell in Equipment & Shelving   Mouse & Rat Smell in Equipment & Shelving Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2019, 8:33 pm

To keep the critters at bay, get a cat for more than mooching and petting. Also I understand that mothballs will repel squeakers.

FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Mouse & Rat Smell in Equipment & Shelving   Mouse & Rat Smell in Equipment & Shelving Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2019, 11:57 pm

Didn't know about ODO-BAN. No Sams Club around here, other than over a hundred mile trip.

Mothballs do work well.

3 cats do too, but they are not allowed in the shop after one was accidentally left in there overnite and used 2 of my test jigs as P-targets. Totally destroyed them.
( I threatened him with becoming Chile con Kitty if he ever did it again.)

At least it wasn't my big Zenith, RCA, & Sylvania test jigs.

Mostly I find the residue in a radio or Tv set I bought, or if a critter gets into the garage. I had a bad infestation, but between mothballs & trapping for 3 months, it seems to have removed most of the problem. (Note: Do not leave sticky glue traps on the floor. Jillian laughed her head off after I stepped on 3 of them in 2 days.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mouse & Rat Smell in Equipment & Shelving   Mouse & Rat Smell in Equipment & Shelving Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mouse & Rat Smell in Equipment & Shelving
Page 1 of 1