ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.   Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. I_icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2019, 10:29 am

Yes it was on TV and there was a point being made that 2 people Had a CWP one of them being a Pastor. Most of the media kept quite on that part.

Reminds me of the local Walmart shootout with a nitwit and His live in runaway girlfriend both were running when the police got there. Running away and shooting at the police over his shoulder. They Dropped Him Dead, and his girl friend grabbed his gun and started shooting, A couple of Police were Hit, but It was the patrolwoman who, even though she was shot was a better marksmen then her partner.

Funny Like most police who are shot, No One ever protested police being shot and injured.

I remember on TV, a List was shown of citizens and criminals that had been shot or killed by Police.
But never the Shot and Killed Police Officers that had been shooting victims of the criminals.

YEP PBS with unbiased reporting you know.

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.   Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. I_icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2019, 5:16 am

Frank, the place we live in is a work in progress. It's what used to be an old school. Built around 1898, it ceased to be a school in 1960. An older couple lived in it for a while, but only in what used to be the smaller, front classroom, about 750 square feet. The 2 other classrooms are 30 feet square with 12 foot high ceilings.

The last owner was an older woman from New Hampshire who only used it in the summer, but was slowly fixing it up. New siding, new windows, etc. Still 4 windows to replace as the existing ones are the originals. We have insulated one of the bigger classrooms and put in a large pellet stove so it can be used as a combination living area and studio for my partner. The other classroom, which is the same size, is unheated as well as uninsulated at the moment. That's my workshop when the temps are fit. My new radio/electronics room is in that section.

As for the front area, after our first winter here, and the 400 odd dollars a month it took to heat it, we decided to put a pellet stove in there as well. The floor is insulated as well as the ceiling, so imagine our surprise when the stove installer cut the hole in the wall for the chimney discovered that there is no insulation in the wall whatsoever. That explained the high oil bills. Rolling Eyes  I guess the previous owner didn't get around to doing that when she owned it.

We are kinda used to this weather. However, it does get a tad old after a couple of solid weeks of it. A break now and then would be nice. We did get one 2 day break, then the winds came back. I do have a block heater in my Ranger. We only plug it in when we know we're going somewhere. I remember our last power bill when we used to leave it plugged in all the time. Shocked  No more of that. We usually only go out once or twice a week, but prefer to stay put in this type of weather.

Not too bad this morning though. Gonna be a high of 0C with northwest winds of 30 kmh gusting to 50 with wind chills of minus 13 and a moderate UV index.

As for that attempted car jacking. Guess you folks see that over your way as well. Seems it's getting more and more difficult to justify defending yourself these days. As for the druggies. Not sure if you folks do it, but over here, in some areas they do a safe place where some street charities hand out clean needles so help prevent reusing old needles. Still not sure what to think about that. In some ways, it keeps bad stuff from happening, but I have to wonder what it does to help get them off the stuff.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.   Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. I_icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2019, 6:23 pm

Cliff- Did you hear about the attempted car jacking in Tumwater at Wal-Mart a couple of months back?
 Perp had already killed 1-2 people, entered wally world and shot open the ammo closet.
 Went outside and injured a lady trying to take her car.
 Shot dead by a bystander with a CWP, all legal. 2 guys were there armed .
 The lady survived, otherwise he would have killed her.

When asked  if they thought the criminal would have killed other people the spokesperson for Tumwater stuttered & refused to comment. 

I was just told yesterday that the City Of Olympia had ORDERED the Firemen out to "remove the snow from the downtown homeless camp". I was told one of the firemen actually said all they did 'Was shovel shixx and needles". The so called " homeless " were too lazy/ stoned to even use the porta potties they setup for them. I was told this by the mother of one of the firemen.
 And we wonder where our tax dollars are wasted.........
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.   Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. I_icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2019, 6:14 pm

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR -21 Centigrade none the less! (That's 5.8F for the celsius challenged).
That wind chill of 80-90 mph winds Thats -42-7 to - 43.6 C at -21C.
 Darn--- that's COLD!
 Hope your house had like 2 ft of insulation in the walls, floor & ceiling!
I suspect you have block heaters in the cars too. I think that's well below the gel stage of diesel too.
 I thought we had it cold here, but I guess your area is used to it. 
IIRC the coldest we ever got here was -17 F one year decades ago. A few times it hit 0 F though in the last 15-20 years.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.   Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. I_icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2019, 4:05 am

Sorry about the trees Frank. But do take advantage of the free wood. Cherry is a beautiful wood to make stuff from for sure.

Our calmed down weather didn't last. We're back to the 80 to 90 kmh gusts and the minus 21C. wind chills. Folks are getting a lot of wind damage here. Doesn't help when the Gulf of Maine is across the street from you. The beauty of the area when the weather is good makes up for it though. Smile
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.   Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. I_icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2019, 9:54 pm

Some of the snow melted/ Sigh... An entire clump of my producing Japanese Cherry trees is down.
Oh, well. Firewood or  have the trunks cut into boards. That cherry is sure pretty wood.
 Might band saw some of it up and make some cabinets or boxes out of it. Let it dry for a year or so.
 Wished Jillian was still alive. She was a killer woodworker. Way better than me.
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.   Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. I_icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2019, 9:43 pm

Here now, it's 43 degrees and we're having thunderstorms.  This is the strangest weather this year I have ever seen.

ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.   Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. I_icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2019, 4:34 am

You folks out there really got a pounding with snow this year. Wow! We seem to be in a small pocket in this part of the province where we have gotten away easier then the rest. However, the minus 21C wind chills with 90 kmh gusts lasted almost 3 full weeks here. It was really starting to get old. Things have calmed down a bit, for now anyway.

Watch that knee Frank. Doing something to it now is definitely gonna be bad! Hopefully it's healing for you and the worst is behind you.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.   Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. I_icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2019, 9:04 pm

I had 24" of snow here in Olympia. The road plow generously piled it up 3-1/2 ft or so in front of my truck. So I spent 3+ hours shoveling it out, with my knee still recovering from surgery. It was not a good idea. :evil:.

A bit of rain lately, but temps below freezing last few nights. Some rain, but snow is 6-8" deep still, and has a frozen crust on top. (I just had to make a path to the garbage can).

No power here for several days, and phone was out too, so no internet, phone, cell phone, or anything. I see snow predicted again before the end of this week. Crying or Very sad I am thankful I put in a wood stove several years back. I did have heat.

It's pretty to look at but sucks. My car shelter is collapsed on top on the Pontiac Star Chief, and 2 of my plum trees are basically firewood now. 
 Arizona or Nevada are looking better  and better.
Back to top Go down
Dan Walker
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.   Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. I_icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2019, 7:20 am

I wish it was 30F here . Right now it is -25F.
 But we get used to it here in Alberta
 Dan  in Calgary
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.   Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. I_icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2019, 1:07 pm

Finally got the gas pilot lit this morning (after fighting with it for two days.) I had just about given up and called the company who sold me the stove to come out and light it at a cost of $130 +

I don't think I could find a unit with controls on the side so I wouldn't have to crawl on the floor. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
It would be nice to my bones if that control was at least waist high.
We are getting at least 2 more weeks of morning temperatures of in the 20s and going up to the low 30s. So my pilot light is staying on just in case of another power failure.

Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.   Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. I_icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2019, 10:30 am

This winter has been swinging here.  When the air comes from the north one week, it is in the 30s.  The next, the air from the south, it's in the 60s.  Cold last week, and this week it's supposed to hit 77.

ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.   Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. I_icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2019, 5:16 am

It's that kind of winter Cliff. Hope you can get your heating issues fixed. It's definitely no fun freezing in your own home.
Over the last couple of months, we have had wind chills as low as -21 C., about -6 on your F scale. Seems colder for us since the winds come right off the Gulf of Maine which is across the street from us here. That's made it hard on wood pellets for us for sure. What's more annoying is that every 3 to 4 days, we need to shut the down to clean them out. We do have hot water heat as a back up if needed. Too costly to use just that though.

We live in an old pre 1900 school house here. We found out last year when we put the new pellet stove in the living room that, even though the attic and floors are insulated, the walls of the original living area have no insulation whatsoever. Rolling Eyes  Gonna have to remedy that real soon.

As for the scanning, it's always interesting to hear what's going on with those poor souls out there when you are safe in your own home isn't it? Smile
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.   Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. I_icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2019, 5:30 pm

Went to bed at 11pm last night and snow was on the ground. 1st this year, had a power outage here about 6:30am, it lasted 2-1/2 hours. it got down to 56 degrees in my home.

Frasier River Valley donated all the cold and wind to last nights snow From Canada.

I just got my Propane freestanding fire box fixed because I couldn't get it to work. My Friend who worked in industrial furnaces as a troubleshooter tested and cleaned all of the parts, including adjustments to the pilot flame and even cleaning out the pilot orifice. So we tested it on and off for two days. Worked like a charm.

So this morning I tried to start it, and old Murphy stuck his nose under the tent. Tried as I may, no go. :evil: 

Life goes on. By the way I bought a scanner from a member of ARF. Set it up and it worked right off the bat. So last week it quit. Murphy strikes again. So yesterday with some time on my hands, I took the bottom cover off and just moved some things ever so slightly, you know such as caps, wires earphone wires. Plugged it back in and no sound. But at least the display was showing. Turned it off and back on and had to reprogram some frequencies. Well what do you know---SUCCESS.

So all day to day I was listening to the scanner and cars accidents here and in Seattle (over on the other side of the sound.) Seattle just opened the new tunnel after unrelenting news casts. expecting major traffic today and of course with the snow, not many commuters. LOL.

Still windy but claims from the weather practitioners were advanced with strong words of caution on the unreliability of reports. Suspect
And of course all the criminal element are taking advantage weather. One Nut was running around a shopping parking center naked.
Another tried to hang him Self but his mother interfered and had him pinned to the ground till Police could arrive.

A couple of vehicle thefts and an attempted car Hijacking.

No need to watch all the Police shows on TV. lol!

PS: temperature never went above 24 degrees at my house.

PostSubject: Re: Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.   Cold snap weather here,   it's down to 20 above. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cold snap weather here, it's down to 20 above.
Page 1 of 1