ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
CAUTION!!! When New Members post and leave a link to click on It may be Malicious so DONT, until they have posted a lot of times.

Puyallup Hamfair

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Puyallup Hamfair Empty
PostSubject: Puyallup Hamfair   Puyallup Hamfair Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2019, 10:14 pm

Time for the Puyallup Hamfair on 3/9/19 at the Puyallup Fairgrounds in Puyallup WA.

Hope to see some of you there.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

Puyallup Hamfair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puyallup Hamfair   Puyallup Hamfair Icon_minitimeMarch 10th 2019, 3:19 pm

I wish!!! Sad

We have 2 ham events a year in this province. One in the Spring, the other in the Fall. And, they are both becoming smaller each year it seems.

Have fun Frank. Show us all your goodies when you get back. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

Puyallup Hamfair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puyallup Hamfair   Puyallup Hamfair Icon_minitimeMarch 10th 2019, 10:47 pm

I went last Sat. Got there at about 11:00, as I had another rough night.
 I was told the turnout was biggest in several years. A few vacant tables on 2nd floor.
I think much of the stuff for sale was way overpriced. I saw one transmitter I sold years back for 125.00 for sale for 1200.00! It was still there when I left.
 There were some killer 1 & 2$ bags though. I got a sandwich bag loaded with crimp terminals of all types for a buck!.
  One chap had all his transformers 2/1.00. I got a beautiful matched set of low current plate/ fil tx  from him.Mil spec NOS too! Should have bought more, but I was worn out.
 A nice box full of SK/ECG/ HEP semis very reasonable, a handbook I needed, and a few other goodies.
 In total I spent under $20.00 plus gas.
  If I had been able to get there early, I'd likely had scored better.
 Oh, saw one guy selling an old Knight 600 T/T and was asking $125.00 for it. Way over prices, as several of same model were in the 45-65 $ price. Its an emission tester too.
 Saw one Hickok T/T/ I wanted, but it was way out of my budget.

All in all, a good fair I think. Several sellers had left before 11:00 and I saw more packing up at 12:00.

This was only the 3rd year out of the last 30+ I have not sold there. Not sure about next year at this point. Depends if I can get a helper, and the cost of the tables.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

Puyallup Hamfair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puyallup Hamfair   Puyallup Hamfair Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2019, 4:43 am

Well, at least you got something for your time. One has to wonder about some people's value of items though, as you say.

One thing I will say for the 2 markets up here, to encourage sellers to come, tables spaces are free. You just pay the admission price like the buyers, and you're in.
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

Puyallup Hamfair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puyallup Hamfair   Puyallup Hamfair Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2019, 5:49 pm

We have the Lincoln hamfest here at Lincoln High School in Lincoln, CA. Lincoln is near Sacramento, California and so draws from a wider area. It's a pretty good hamfest. Years ago, (late 1990s) I stayed away from eBay as long as I could because many of the hamfest sellers in my area started wanting eBay prices for their stuff. Now I get most of my stuff from eBay sellers. The exceptions are my buys from AES and RadioDaze. I recently looked into getting some Freed Eisemann audios from Play Things of the Past but ended up buying replacement audio coils from AES and rebuilding the bad audios in an NR-7. They were bad not from aging or lightning damage but from mouse damage. They chewed up the secondary windings. The primary windings were still good hi, hi.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

Puyallup Hamfair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puyallup Hamfair   Puyallup Hamfair Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2019, 11:02 pm

IMHO, EvilBay greatly destroyed reasonable prices for items.
 Overseas collectors with big money seem to drive the prices up, and some sellers are totally stupid.
 They see an item on sale for , say, 10.00 thats only worth 1.00 and price it a t the tenner price, even though the item may have been listed for months at that price and the last one sold for 1.50 or so.
 Gee, I'll ask 10,000.00 for my AK55 because some guy listed one on EvilBay for the same price. Never looking up that it never sold or the last one sold for 100.00.
 Like I tell people that have stamp collections:"Sentiment has no real dollar value".If it was grannies and she dumped 200.00 into it, it may be only worth 10-20.00 now, considering the collectors are dying off and the market is glutted as , with ham radio, fewer people are collecting.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Puyallup Hamfair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puyallup Hamfair   Puyallup Hamfair Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2019, 11:12 am

There are a lot of sellers that scratch their Heads wondering why they cant off load their precious junk.

I haven't gone for the last two years as my age and pains prevent me from staying long, too much traveling, finding parking, too many floors, too many lookie loos, (Jammed together pedestrians) and of course too many high prices. When I was going though I always came away from being a table helper and couldnt get to browse very much. But did get some treasures most of the time.

Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

Puyallup Hamfair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puyallup Hamfair   Puyallup Hamfair Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2019, 5:32 pm

I really used to enjoy going to hamfests. It was a lot of fun for me. Running into other hams I had talked to or just heard on the air was great. I had a Ford E150 van in those days to haul stuff back and forth. I was a seller as well as a buyer. There were a lot of shows in the mid-Atlantic and South Eastern states to go to from Lynchburg, Virginia. The area I live in now is not so big on hamfests. I gather that there are not that many in the whole of North State California. Our local ham club W6AF doesn't sponsor one. Nor do any of the other clubs in Butte County.

My current beef with eBay is a sales policy that allows for as-is sales of radio equipment and parts with no returns or refunds for items with hidden damage and defective parts. Often pictures don't show up these kinds of defects. Generally, the policy has led to many sellers not standing behind their items or products. Instead they revel in their disclaimers and lack of responsibility. Anything goes. Back in my hamfest days you could trust another ham's word on a piece of radio gear you were looking at. Now you have people with no radio background offering all kinds of items for sale at often crazy prices. Still, as I've said before, I do a lot of my radio shopping on eBay these days. Many of my purchases turn out fine, others not so good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Puyallup Hamfair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puyallup Hamfair   Puyallup Hamfair Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Puyallup Hamfair
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: Shortwave and Amateur Radio :: Notices & upcoming events-
Jump to: