ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Farm Radio Battery Packs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

Farm Radio Battery Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farm Radio Battery Packs   Farm Radio Battery Packs I_icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2020, 3:49 am

Another fun option for battery operated, 1.4 Volt or 2 Volt (tube filaments) "farm" radios would be an AC operated Battery Eliminator. These turn up from time to time and can be rebuilt to be made functional again. Sears-Roebuck offered a line of these eliminators called "PowerShifter". RCA also put out a line of similar battery eliminators. They are small enough to fit in the back of the radio in place of a set of batteries. The eliminators furnish the usual required A and B Battery voltages. They have a set of jacks on them comparable to the those found on A and B batteries available at the time. Good luck with your radio.
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Farm Radio Battery Packs   Farm Radio Battery Packs I_icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2020, 12:15 am

The old time batteries are getting rare, and Sears used their own numbers, not standard industry ones.
 You can build your own "B" packs pretty cheap from 9V batteries in series.

Just snap together until you get the right voltage. This is easy, as you can place the tap for C voltage where you need it easy too.
 Typically, unless the osc tube is flaky, even 10-20 V below nominal works just fine.

Be very careful you don't accidentally hook up the B battery to the filament line.  Embarassed I only did that once back about 50 years back. That was all it took to blow out the entire string of tubes. Fortunately I had mass spares for my radio.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Farm Radio Battery Packs   Farm Radio Battery Packs I_icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2019, 6:42 am

Yes very similar except the dial is a little different.  Otherwise almost identical.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Farm Radio Battery Packs   Farm Radio Battery Packs I_icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2019, 3:18 pm

Is this your Radio?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Farm Radio Battery Packs   Farm Radio Battery Packs I_icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2019, 1:45 pm

I am guessing about the 3 volts then connect to the ballast tube, as the filaments are 2 volts (This maybe the tall battery you are referring to)

Yes 2 D cells would work but you need something that has more reserve for the filaments. Maybe 2 (1- 1/2 volt) Lantern batteries.
-----------------------------------------
3 (45 volt batteries) in series = 135 Volts,
-------------------------
I noted that on (page 6-48 of the next SEARS models down ( Models 1922-A,1932-A, 1982-A, 1992-A) the 45 volt packs there is a 22.5 volt terminal tap. On the tube positions and battery connections Funny it doesn't show them being connected in that circuit.

The green wire is a 22 volt battery for the (+) and using an external battery would use The - B connection as a return. (I am assuming this since the battery pack shows only one 22 volt connection , being that case the other end of the 22 volt is internally connected to the (-) terminal.

-------------------
The gold wire you refer to is a yellow wire by schematic illustration.
I will look for compatible battery illustrations on the web.
I will not say I am right because I normally don't work on tube battery sets, so It would be only my educated guess.

To help clarify go to the following link.

It's Phil's Old Radios.
Click Here for battery info.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PostSubject: Re: Farm Radio Battery Packs   Farm Radio Battery Packs I_icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2019, 10:29 am

Thanks for the reply Cliff.

I'm a novice so I want to get clear in my mind what you have replied.

A Battery=2x1.5v for a 3v (2 D cells in series?)

B Battery=135v (Not sure how to achieve that one.)

C Battery=22v (21.5v per diagram?) Does this connect via the green and gold wires on my chassis that I referenced in Item [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in my first post?
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Farm Radio Battery Packs   Farm Radio Battery Packs I_icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2019, 9:37 am

There are 3 batteries used.

3 Volts? = 2-)1-1/2 volt + 1-1/2volt)
-A Black and Yellow
+A Blue & Yellow
-------------------------------

- B Red & Black
+ B Red (+ 135 volts?)
------------------------
+ 22 volt Green

Schematic is in Riders vol 6 - 46 (PDF page 925)

PostSubject: Farm Radio Battery Packs   Farm Radio Battery Packs I_icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2019, 8:59 am

I just acquired a 1936 Sears & Roebuck Silvertone Tombstone Model [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].  It looks to be complete and intact minus the original or any replacement batteries.  I've been trying to figure out a couple things.

1.  I'd like to create some battery packs with modern batteries but not sure how many and what type.  The battery schematic is included.  The label states shows both 22.5v and 45v, don't understand this.

2.  There is a green wire that goes to the first "B" battery, what is this for?

3.  The "A" battery is listed as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but does not say what voltage.  This info I got from Radiomuseum.

4.  There is a tall, comparatively, piece with 2 wires coming out of it that I have no idea what for.

Any help on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure how to post a picture of the label with this site without hosting it somewhere.

The model and specs can be looked up on radio museum website.  I can't apparently post links or pics yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Farm Radio Battery Packs   Farm Radio Battery Packs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Farm Radio Battery Packs
Page 1 of 1