ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
CAUTION!!! When New Members post and leave a link to click on It may be Malicious so DONT, until they have posted a lot of times.

Soldering to sockets with tubes in them

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Soldering to sockets with tubes in them Empty
PostSubject: Soldering to sockets with tubes in them   Soldering to sockets with tubes in them Icon_minitimeMay 3rd 2019, 7:34 pm

One word: DON'T

Why Not?

I have experienced more than once where the tech had worked on a radio and the tube would not come out of the socket. 

Yeah- I found this out the hard way when I really pulled hard on one tube and literally pulled the socket apart. Embarassed. '(Hmmm- it's stuck, if I pull a bit hard....snap!).

It seems that some folks use way too much solder and it wicks up into the socket and solders the tube pin to the socket pin.

I have found this can happen on ANY base tube, but most commonly on Octal and 7 & 9 pin tubes. Mostly on those fragile wafer type sockets too, but any tube socket can have this happen.

This has been found on both radio and TV tubes. I have even seen a few massively overheated H.O. ( Horiz. Output, for those who are new to the hobby)  and rectifier tubes get so hot in its meltdown the solder in the base pin ran out and soldered it to the socket. Especially "fun" when the glass has cracked and broken and jagged edges are still attached to the base. 

So if the tube seems stuck, likely it is. No tube type is exempt from this problem, especially if it was "tech" induced.
Back to top Go down

Soldering to sockets with tubes in them
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: Radio Repair Bench :: Hints & Kinks-
Jump to: