ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  

Broken Socket Pins

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Broken Socket Pins  Empty
PostSubject: Broken Socket Pins    Broken Socket Pins  Icon_minitimeMay 3rd 2019, 7:50 pm

I doubt there has not been a real tech out there that has not broken the socket pin off while trying to unsolder a part or wire from it.

After replacing several sockets that had this happen, I thought "There has to be an easier way".
 There is.

This will work on most sockets that are NOT wafer type. (You can drill out the rivets on the wafer type and replace pins too, but it's a long nasty job).

I started saving pins out of old junk sockets on chassis headed to the recycling. Many pins in radios and TV sets were not used, and have no solder on them.
 A careful look will show you the easy way to pull the pins out. Most 7, 9, (2 styles and sizes) 10, (Yeah, they made 2 styles of 10 pin bases), 12, & 14 pin sockets have a "dimple"  on them that can be flattened out and the pin pushed through the socket.

Octals  had several types of methods to retain the pins. Dimples, twists, etc. Just release the pin & shove it through.

Now- here is the "nasty" part:
 The octal socket makers used several different styles of pins in their sockets. Often Military sockets used a pin with a "fork" on the inside of the socket while others used varying length pins, solder tails, and at least 3 styles I can remember. They are NOT interchangeable because of configuration or the thickness of the solder tail on the pin.

So I have a drawer with a pile of salvaged pins from different types to expedite repairs. It's just a matter of finding a matching pin. (If I am lucky).

You can salvage previously soldered pins, but IMHO, the extra work to get ALL the solder off is not worth it.
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

Broken Socket Pins  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Socket Pins    Broken Socket Pins  Icon_minitimeMay 4th 2019, 6:04 am

Yes. I have run into that too with brittle tube socket contacts (pins). Some time ago I started swapping good pins for broken ones. Sometimes right in the same socket if there are any unused good pins. Octal pins are the most common ones to swap out here.
Back to top Go down

Broken Socket Pins
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: Radio Repair Bench :: Hints & Kinks-
Jump to: