ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Tube Lore II Book is out............

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ve1arn
ve1arn

Tube Lore II Book is out............ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2019, 1:19 pm

Cliff, I fixed that comment. For the life of me, I don't know how that comment got put in there. I was doing a couple of things at the same time, but still can't see how I did that. Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2019, 12:21 pm

When you say censored, Do you mean restricted?
I Would do a copy image or save image as by right clicking on the picture on the screen.
(There was no Icon for the 6810 but it was in the list)
I have been there way back when, but forgot about them. There a little icons beside each tube that they have a picture of. just click on the picture (Icon).

If you put a tube number to search in then hit enter it will take you to a second web page.

in my test I typed in 6L6
and there was a link provided with several styles (Pictures)

6L6 tube Pictures

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
type in the tube number
next page shows below then I clicked on the first 6L6
and a picture came up with several tubes on it, so I did a screen capture and it was a PNG file.

"

NewRefine
6L6
6L6 The 6L6 is a beam pentode with full ratings to ... which was designed for high mechanical shock and vibration. (6L6)Length = 4.00" Diameter = 1.50" (6L6G)Length = 5.00" Diameter = 1.87
n6jv.com/museum/6l6.html

INDEX TO "VACUUM TUBE VALLEY" (R)
Svetlana 2-19, 8-10 6L13 14-8 6L6 13-22@ 6L6, history and tech tests 4-3@ 6L6, listening tests 4-11*, 13-22@ 6LF6 8-10 ... 6, 5-34 6384 5-5 6384, replacing 6L6 to 5-6 6385 5-6, 9-10
tubecollectors.org/archives/VTVDEXnu.doc Note if you Click on this link it will bring up a list of tubes with the magazine issue it was in. (just like an Index)

[font=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida]INDEX TO "VACUUM TUBE VALLEY" (R)
14-8 6L6 ... 13-22@6L6, history and tech tests ... 4-3@6L6, listening tests ... 4-11*, 13-22@6LF6 ... 8-10 ... 6, 5-34 6384 ... 5-5 6384, replacing 6L6 to ... 5-6 6385 ... 5-6, 9-10
tubecollectors.org/archives/VTVDEXnu.pdf

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2019, 11:31 am

Cliff, the Tube Collector's Association. has a group on Yahoo. On the Yahoo group, you can't actually post images in your thread but can add the image file in a folder there. If you accept the threads as emails, you can however see the images posted. That's how I get them, via email.

From the TCA's web site................
TCA has an email reflector, open to members and others. It is a handy way to identify "mystery tubes" and communicate with other Collector-historians.  To join, simply send a blank, untitled email to:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Last edited by ve1arn on August 30th 2019, 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Photo Multiplier Tube Data   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2019, 9:47 am

What is the T-C-A Forum? I need some elucidation on this please!

Bob send this PDF link about the 6810 tube.
6810 Tube Data

Also :

On Tube Lore 2 Disk

1A21 Weird.PDF

"REGISTERED "WEIRD" TYPES
SPECIAL-PURPOSE TYPES: RMA-EIA 1942-1944 SYSTEM AND LATER IDENTIFIERS
Special symbols used here are defined in the "Boring But Important" chapter."

Page 26 right-hand column

6810( ) Photo multiplier, 14-stage, S-

11 response, version of 6255 w/ 5-mm

curved window, for scintillation counters, flat-face end-on bulb 2" dia. by 6.7"

high, 20-pin bidecal Micanol base with

metal collar, w/ metal collar above base

(RCA, 1569, 1-16-56) (PH also) <20A>.

Cu-Be dynodes. AKA (PH) 56AVP/05.

Designed to work directly into deflection plates of a CRT for low time delay.

"A" (RCA) has reduced electron transit time spread and improved collection

Efficiency. "B" is AKA K1977.

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2019, 4:10 pm

Cliff Jones wrote:
Is there anything on the disk that's not in the book?
Hi Cliff and all,

An update on this question for you Cliff.

A chap on the TCA forum looking for info on an RCA 6810A tube mentioned looking in Tube Lore and couldn't find it. Lud answered what page it was on in Tube Lore ver. 1 then mentioned that in Tube Lore ver. 2 it's on the CD.

So, depending on the volume you have, info on certain tubes could be in different locations. Guess that means yes, or, maybe no depending on how you wanna look at it. Very Happy Razz
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2019, 9:56 am

Cliff Jones wrote:
I'm really kinda surprised it (The Book) doesn't have that many photos of tubes.
Since I have loaded the disk it is searchable by words. I'm using Adobe Reader and it cautions (Protected View) and a box at the end of the ribbon that allows you to enable all features and then you can do searches in each PDF document.

I think I may use The free program PdFill PDF Tools and combine files one way then use MS word to compile them as a Word file.

That Word project sounds neat Cliff. Might look into that myself.

While I thoroughly enjoyed all my issues of the Tube Collector, I was always disappointed with the photo quality of the images. I had at one time asked if there could be a PDF version with the original photos in it, but I guess they didn't see the need or something.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2019, 8:54 am

I'm really kinda surprised it (The Book) doesn't have that many photos of tubes.
Since I have loaded the disk it is searchable by words. I'm using Adobe Reader and it cautions (Protected View) and a box at the end of the ribbon that allows you to enable all features and then you can do searches in each PDF document.

I think I may use The free program PdFill PDF Tools and combine files one way then use MS word to compile them as a Word file.

Last edited by Cliff Jones on August 27th 2019, 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2019, 7:37 am

Cliff,

According to the review in Electric Radio, the book covers about 13,000 tube types plus another aprox. 4800 radar/microwave parts on the CD. The CD also has another 106 pages of strange and unusual tube types. Roughly 20+ years of corporate RCA and Eimac files and 40+ years of RMA/EIA tube registrations and 19 years of Tube Collector's Association author's work
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2019, 6:59 pm

Is there anything on the disk that's not in the book?

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2019, 4:09 am

It is an awesome book Cliff. I haven't had a chance to do comparisons with Vol. 1 yet, but I'm still assuming that vol. 2 is just vol. 1 with new and updated info.

To be safe, I also made a backup copy of the CD and have it stored with other backups I have of other stuff.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2019, 9:01 pm

Got my electric radio subscription booklet a couple of days ago, then today I got my Tube Lore 2, there's more data there than you could read in 3 months.

FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2019, 8:34 pm

Thats is really odd. I called them & they told me they didn't take credit cards anymore. 'Fees were too high".
 Well, I'll go online & order it that way then. With the CCD I get some buyer protection.

Just went to the ER site.
AHA! In order to use a credit card, you have to go thru PayPal and pay their "conversion" fee.
I'll just send them a check.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: New Tube Lore 2nd Edition Available Now.   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2019, 1:30 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
----------------------

Description: Tube Lore II

Unit price: $34.95 USD  
Shipping and handling:  $5.50 USD  
Total: $40.45 USD

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2019, 12:55 pm

I'm sure you'll love the book. The included CD has a lot of interesting info as well. Was expensive for me, but I'm not sorry I have it now.

Nuts N Volts would be nice, but subscriptions up here are way too expensive as well. Not to mention that, thanks to the mail, magazines always get here a couple of weeks later than you folks south of the border.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2019, 11:44 am

I just ordered a copy. They do accept credit cards and PayPal. I received an Email from them that My copy will be sent in a week because just today they received 15 orders.

By the way I had ordered Nuts and Volts magazine last part of may. Haven't received a mail copy to date. Emailed them to complain, and they said I only had the digital edition in reply. So I gave them a call and explained that I had ordered both Mail and online copies. They verified I had ordered both, but there was a delay because it was a husband and wife company and one of the spouses had been sick. So that's why no mailings. I told the phone person that that was a very poor way to do business with customers, especially since they could have notified them of the delay, which they didn't do. So I canceled my subscription, she said they would refund my subscription, and she hung up the phone on me before I could even say thank you.
:evil:
I think I will Post the web page for Ordering Tube Lore (Normally I wouldn't do this.)

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2019, 5:53 pm

US$34.95 plus US$17.25 shipping = US$52.20

Exchange rate 30% as of today that adds CAN$15.56 for a total of CAN$67.86

Not sure if anyone is selling it in Canada. Would love to know to make a comparison though. Then again.... I see what the original Tube Lore is going for. Maybe I can make my money back real easy and then some. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2019, 5:33 pm

How much would it be, as far as being bought in Canada rather than the U.S.A.?

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2019, 4:30 pm

Got my copy of Tube Lore II today. Gonna check and see if it's all new data than Vol 1 or if it's Vol 1 plus more. It looks like a continuation of Vol 1 with the additions from the 1st quick glance. The CD has some great stuff in it too.

Canadians might want to prepare for a shock though. US$17.25 for shipping alone. Mad
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2019, 6:04 pm

OK Cliff, I shall contact Lud & see if I can get 2 copies.
The extra is way worth it. That is the "Bible" for tubes.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeJuly 4th 2019, 11:52 am

My copy is already on its way. Unfortunately, because I'm in Canada, it cost me an extra US$10.50 in postage. Grrrrrrr! Mad  But, I want it, so I must pay. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeJuly 3rd 2019, 9:18 am

Thanks! I really want one, so If you can mail to me from the seller when you order it, that would save a step. Of course renumeration would follow.

Just in case you can, Heres my Address.

Cliff Jones
6930 E. Fillmore St.
Port Orchard, WA. 98366-7123

FrankB

PostSubject: Tube lore v 2.0   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2019, 6:27 pm

I am a member of Electric radio and TCA.
 I will attempt to see if I can get 3 copies of Tube lore. I want the updated one, and can see if I can get copies for you two also.
It has more data in it than any ref. I have ever seen.
Frank
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2019, 10:27 am

That was my problem Cliff, but in this case, I was always curious about this magazine, so I figured that I would try it for a year, and while I was at it, pick up Lud's book as well.

There's still no info out as to who is going to be selling it, but there have been a few members of the TCA that wish to sell them, so I'll keep my eyes open and let you folks here know as I get the updates.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2019, 10:22 am

Tried to purchase, but required to buy a subscription. But no way to setup because it asks for username. Sad
Dont really want a subscription.

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2019, 8:35 am

Not totally sure about that chas. From what I hear, it will include the first volume along with a bunch of other material that wasn't in the volume 1. Once I get the book, I'll be able to verify this info.

I know the current prices of the 1st book are surprising a whole lot of folks. Not really sure why the price is that crazy either.
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2019, 7:47 am

Dumb question [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Is everything that was in Tube Lore 1 and the supplements included into Tube Lore 2?

That would sort of make Tube Lore 1, redundant...

For some dumb reason or more likely I forgot to get Tube Lore 1, when it was available.

I certainly would have to be nuts to pay the scalpers prices, I read over $600/copy.

I have scads of tube data books and never turn away when I find them in estates.

How useful (to me) would be a copy of Lud's book? Dunno, I have not built with tubes in many years and what I have of tubes is very common stuff and a few antiques. Kind of a tube collector, certainly not a "roller" or "flipper"

I have a few strange tubes but I know what they are. I simply post an image and good folks tell be what I have...

Chas
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2019, 6:21 am

An FYI for those of you folks interested in Ludwell Sibley's Tube Lore book he had out a few years ago, Tube Lore II is now out. For now anyway, it seems to be only available on the Electric Radio site. It is, however, supposed to be available at other sites in the near future.

Here are the details from Electric Radio's site...........

After being out-of-print for many years, Ludwell Sibley has released an updated version II of his classic book on electron tubes. Tube Lore II is an excellent reference to electron tube history and tube production. I was not able to find any tube type that is not listed!

This new version is 288 pages of text, 102 more pages than the original version had. Also included is a data CD of important information, one section covers deciphering tube date codes, most of which has not been available until now.

The new version of the book covers about 13,000 ( ! ! ) tube types, plus another 4800 or so radar / microwave parts on the data CD.  Also on the disk is info on very strange and unusual tube types, another 106 pages. 

The project reflects 20-plus-years years of corporate files (RCA, Eimac) coming out of the woodwork, the release of about 40 years of RMA/EIA tube registrations, plus 19 years of work by the Tube Collector’s Association’s authors.

Price: $34.95

Decided to try put a subscription the Electric Radio and to order the book. If you're in Canada though, expect to pay the near extortion postage rates that apply to anything coming from the USA.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tube Lore II Book is out............   Tube Lore II Book is out............ I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tube Lore II Book is out............
Page 1 of 1