ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Solved -Recurring Error Makes HP Laptop Unusable

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Solved -Recurring Error Makes HP Laptop Unusable Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solved -Recurring Error Makes HP Laptop Unusable   Solved -Recurring Error Makes HP Laptop Unusable I_icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2019, 12:35 pm

I was watching a Video where a laptop refused to power up, All he did, was to use a multimeter to check voltages and conductivity. It took about an hour I believe he was from one of the Soviet countries.
He talked through every step and found that one part of the board was getting warm and the hot when he touched it. He had a multimeter (I guess that made a clicking sound or it was from the board itself) that led him to a shorted SMD capacitor. He removed that without replacing it, because of no parts list or schematic. Said it wasn't needed because of redundancy of parts. Put it all back together and IT WORKED.

I will see if I can locate the video and post the link. FOUND IT!!

Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: Solved -Recurring Error Makes HP Laptop Unusable   Solved -Recurring Error Makes HP Laptop Unusable I_icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2019, 8:50 am

Hi,
I ended up giving this HP laptop to a fellow senior citizen who needed a replacement for his that went bad (no power up). He had bought a refurbished HP model similar to mine about a year ago from Best Buy and they wouldn't fix it (he didn't buy the service plan). It did get sent back to HP to be checked but nothing ever came of it - no replacement or repair. I think he likes it so it had a happy ending.
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Solved!   Solved -Recurring Error Makes HP Laptop Unusable I_icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2019, 1:15 am

I got all the required updates done at the Oroville Senior Center Thursday. They have good WIFI there and I got a bit of lunch too. The HP appears to be doing quite well now so I have marked it as "Solved!". Of course, now it is doing another round of updates for the newly installed and working Windows 10 version 1809. Along with it came an up to date version of the Microsoft Edge browser. Yes. The older versions of Edge are now out of date.

73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Solved -Recurring Error Makes HP Laptop Unusable   Solved -Recurring Error Makes HP Laptop Unusable I_icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2019, 12:45 pm

You Might try using HP support assistant, it should be already installed. That will have troubleshooters that you can run through. Also, Change your basic Error reporting to Microsoft, you have three choices disable, send basic and Full, because it will allow them to automatically try to fix problems. Chose FULL to work!

Install CCleaner and run it in basic mode and it will delete any malware, clean registry etc.

Also, it could be loaded with dust and slow down or stop working so check the fan and Main board.

Be sure and run the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) to keep Windows computers free from prevalent malware. MSRT finds and removes threats and reverses the changes made by these threats. MSRT is generally released monthly as part of Windows Update or as a standalone tool available here for download. Sounds like your original Hard Drive was part of your problem.

Side note: This is only a suggestion, go back to the Edit Mode of this topic and include the word SOLVED to your title. It will then let people know there is an actual solution. Or if you want, I can do that for you. It's your choice to change or not to change.

I would like to figure out how set up an External Hard Drive Or DVD to just contain the Windows Operating System, but The HP can do it for me but at a cost, No Way!!!
With that money I can get a Cheap notebook at Walmart for less than $200 (I think it was a Chromebook a while back though).

I Have 3 Laptops, HP Ancient THINKPAD Laptop and a newer one with an I3 processor, And a Dell that I am having Keyboard issues with, The keyboard does a procedure that is called polling (Scans the keys to detect when they are pressed) my [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.],Q, A, Z and ALT don't work. But I can use the onboard Screen Keyboard as an interim Fix. 

Dontcha just love to hate computers? SIGH!
It's nice to hear that you found a solution!

Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Solved -Recurring Error Makes HP Laptop Unusable   Solved -Recurring Error Makes HP Laptop Unusable I_icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2019, 11:03 am

My (HP) laptop came up with an error situation fairly recently that progressively got worse. I had bought it new and unused from a private eBay seller in October 2016. Often during startup but at other times too, it would come up with a message that an error had occurred, it had to stop, gather some information about the problem and then restart again. Prior to this situation occurring the laptop had been working well but had noticed it had become sluggish and fairly unresponsive. After these errors had happened a few times and with no resolution of the problem, I decided to do a refresh (reset) of Windows 10 to see if that would help. The reset was supposed to replace the current version of windows on the computer with a fresh copy while leaving personal files intact. Some existing programs might not survive the reset procedure and have to be reinstalled. I went ahead with it and got the reset started and it completed successfully. It didn't take that long-maybe an hour or so altogether.

Well, the same error situation came back and continued. It got worse to the point that yesterday I couldn't finish a post that I wanted to do after lunch. So after getting home I decided do to a more drastic reset by taking the computer back to the original factory installation setup. I didn't see any other choice other than contacting HP to try to get them to fix it for a $100 fee. I did this latest reset from a backup flash drive I had made shortly after I got the computer. I figured it might not be safe or wise to use the recovery partition on the hard drive. I found out that pressing F11 during reboot brings the computer to some options of what to do with it.

I choose the least drastic option that would reinstall and replace Windows 10 and the HP software on the existing partition (C:) of the computer's hard drive. While I didn't think of it at the time, I suppose this included leaving the existing recovery partition (D:) alone and intact. This was a long process and took more than 3 hours to complete the installation. Then toward the end of it, an error occurred with a recurring message that I couldn't do anything about or get past. There were no other options presented to finish the installation.

Well, what to do now? I tried to reboot and start another recovery but it just went back to the same error message about being unable to proceed as before. Then I concluded that the only thing to do was to swap the hard drive with another one if the laptop was going to be saved. I got out the Gateway's old 500GB hard drive which I had been saving and put that in the HP laptop (not that easy to do). Got the recovery process going again and this time I chose option (2) which was to erase everything on the drive (not really), repartition it and start fresh. This took another 3 and 1/2 hours but this time it completed without any errors and worked. It was back to where it started 3 years ago.

I ran it some last night and it appeared to be doing OK. Startup was a bit slow but shut down was fast as it should be. The internet here at home is not that great and for the past 2 weeks has been worse than usual so I didn't try to get going on any of the many updates that will be needed. I plan to take it into town this weekend to start on the updates with the free WIFI at Raley's or the library.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solved -Recurring Error Makes HP Laptop Unusable   Solved -Recurring Error Makes HP Laptop Unusable I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solved -Recurring Error Makes HP Laptop Unusable
Page 1 of 1