ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

watching Jepordy

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ve1arn
ve1arn

watching Jepordy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: watching Jepordy    watching Jepordy  I_icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2011, 5:11 am

Kinda figured it was a typo, but I couldn't help but pick at ya. :twisted:

I wonder how long it would take for me to save up for one of them now? DARN! And I already bought parts and put a new one together last week too! Mad

Cheers for now, Bob
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

watching Jepordy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: watching Jepordy    watching Jepordy  I_icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2011, 8:40 am

I made a mistake of saying 500 gigabytes of memory Embarassed thats processing 500 gigabytes per second. This is a quote from Wikipedia: " Watson is made up of a cluster of ninety IBM Power 750 servers (plus additional I/O, network and cluster controller nodes in 10 racks) with a total of 2880 POWER7 processor cores and 16 Terabytes of RAM. Each Power 750 server uses a 3.5 GHz POWER7 eight core processor, with four threads per core. The POWER7 processor's massively parallel processing capability is an ideal match for Watson's IBM DeepQA software which is embarrassingly parallel (that is a workload that is easily split up into multiple parallel tasks).[13]

According to John Rennie, Watson can process 500 gigabytes, the equivalent of a million books, per second.[14] IBM's master inventor and senior consultant Tony Pearson estimated Watson's hardware cost at about $3 million[15] and with 80 TeraFLOPs would be placed 94th on the Top 500 Supercomputers list, and 49th in the Top 50 Supercomputers list.[16] According to Rennie, the content was stored in Watson's RAM for the game because data stored on hard drives are too slow to access.[14]"......

ve1arn

watching Jepordy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: watching Jepordy    watching Jepordy  I_icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2011, 4:35 am

Hi Cliff,

WOW, but 2200 servers and only 500 gigabytes? Seems to me it should be a lot bigger, but that's just me. Very Happy

Cheers, Bob
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

watching Jepordy  Empty
PostSubject: watching Jepordy    watching Jepordy  I_icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2011, 10:04 pm

IBM Watson has challenged the two top champions, and won the first round. IBM is using a technique to decipher language and give very fast answers. I found only a couple of questions that it was stumped on. The show will continue tomorrow. Very interesting. Will be interesting to see what method they used instead of normal search algorithms.

Went to the IBM site, found that the computer uses 2200 servers, and has a total of 500 gigabytes of storage. However it only stores text type documents, and no graphics. It uses 2 -20ton air conditioners for cooling. It uses analytic processing rather than mathematical. It has no external connection to the outside world and is completely self contained.

Can you begin to understand the concept of analysis of the Human communication interaction, similar to the computer used in Star trek, or Space odyssey 2001, HAL. Just think of the Government usage for intelligence gathering, here and abroad. Yikes Big Brother. On the other hand think about the uses for teaching applications, and they are using the system to monitor even new babies to diagnose things like sepsis in infants up to 24 hours before Nurses would recognise the problem.

The Computer uses IBM core 7 processors.

watching Jepordy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: watching Jepordy    watching Jepordy  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

watching Jepordy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: Computer Issues-
Jump to: