ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Homemade Crystal Radio

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Homemade Crystal Radio   2011-11-17, 3:02 pm

Hello all, Wasn't sure where to post this Cliff so feel free to move it if needed. Didnt know if crystal radios could be also shared.

Picked this up at an antique mall a couple months ago. Not much to it. Large coil wil a diode detector. Kind of neat in the box. Havent tried it yet. Just put up a 100ft long wire and will install ground rod this weekend. I have several small crystal set projects I want to try build. If you decide maybe a section for crystal radios??

Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Crystal Radio   2011-11-18, 2:16 am

Good Idea
Bob is into crystal Radios and so am I (somewhat as I have only one I found On EBay)
I use to experiment as a preteen with one like the Remco one I have now. Have the Box and instructions. This is a picture from Radiomuseum.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I did get quite a few of the Rocket crystal radios for 99 cents new but that wuz back in 58-59.
One I had, had two ceramic or crystal phones that my brother and I use to listen to. Wish I still had them. sigh!

PostSubject: My first radio   2011-11-18, 7:47 am

I know what you mean Cliff. As a teenager I got my first start in the radio hobby with this Allied Knight Kit. My uncle gave me this as a Christmas gift. I spent the weekend winding the coil and building it. My dad helped me put up a 50 ft. wire and grounded it to a water pipe in basement. I spent many hours listenng to it. Only could get one local station and on occasion in the late evenings I received WHO in Iowa and a few other distant stations. Since that time I was hooked with radio.

Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Crystal Radio   2011-11-18, 8:11 am

Huh! well we wuz practicle nieghbors. Same neck of the woods, Madison WI and all, also got mine for Christmas Suspect santa

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Crystal Radio   2011-11-18, 9:20 am

Hi guys...

I love crystal stuff probably more so than the tube stuff. Though, they're both close. Razz

Here's a couple of pics of my assortment so far;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That last shot is a purchase I made a year ago at a Fall ham radio flea market. The AM/shortwave kit is complete unbuilt and even has the genuine 9 volt Radio Shack battery in the box.

The little crystal set below it is used but complete except for 2 of the small spring clips.

I paid a grand total of $20 for all you see there. I was a happy camper that day! Very Happy

The rocket radio in the first pic is a reproduction. Unfortunately, I do not have my original one I had when I was a young kid. (I'm an old kid now) Wink

Thanks for sharing guys!

Bob
Back to top Go down
peeblesoriginals

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Crystal Radio   2011-12-14, 9:07 pm

My wife likes to go to garage sales and auctions.
She picked-up a partial Erector Set, and this is what I did with it:

SWsenior

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Crystal Radio   2011-12-14, 11:36 pm

That is really cool! That would be a fun project.

SWsenior
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Crystal Radio   2011-12-14, 11:48 pm

That Rocket radio was available a couple of years ago, but haven't seen any for some time now. Mad

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Crystal Radio   2011-12-16, 3:47 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
That Rocket radio was available a couple of years ago, but haven't seen any for some time now. Mad

Cliff, if you're talking about the rocket radio in my pic, there's a little story that goes with that. They were being sold by an outfit called Restoration Hardware for $10 each. When I tried to buy one, I was told , sorry, but we do not sell to Canada. About 2 weeks later, while on line chatting with a friend in the USA, the friend indicated that I could have one sent to their address and she would then mail it to me.

So, back I went and found that they were now in the clearance area at $2.00 each. I bought 5. When they arrived, I started playing with them and soon realized that they just did not work. None of them. I opened them up and found the small disc capacitor had one leg soldered to a wrong terminal. I switched them around and they all worked.

Since I already had a couple of my radio friends ask me about buying one of mine, I figured I could make a bit of pocket $$$ at the next ham flea market that was soon coming up. So, I went back to restoration Hardware to buy a bunch, only to find they were all gone.

Not long after, I saw a bunch being sold on E-Bay. So much for that idea. Very Happy

Cheers, Bob
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Crystal Radio   2011-12-16, 10:37 am

I have wondered if I could start producing some and selling them. It6 would take some money to start with, but I don't think that much. But there would be the cost of the case(plastic extrusion), ferrite rod and coil forms, and earphones. Then learning how to drill and cut the rods, learning how to wrap the coils. Or have someone have them made and exported from China. What would the market be?
-------------------------------
Off topic but related in a small way.
Making tops
I worked for a guy in 73 as his first employee, who lived in Portland Oregon, who was a young kid of about 18-19 who designed A MISTERY TOP, you may have seen them? But it was nothing more than a simple bobbin of wire with a steel center core and a transistor that was hooked up to the core. A plastic top Spinner with refrigerator magnet Circular on the underside of the top. The plastic top was designed to look like a flying saucer. Used a 9 volt battery. and originally made a wooden base shell that was designed to have the top surface slightly concave on a wood lathe. The concave design allowed the top to spin but wander and then gravitate back toward the center of the base, where it would again pickup speed and start to wander. There was the slope on the edge to keep the top spinner from leaving the edge. It was basically a motor, the spinner magnet acted as rotating field that would cut lines of force through the coil producing enough electricity to make the transistor turn on and have the coil make a magnetic pulse to attract the top spinner back and influence the magnet to spin just like an electric motor.

I went into soldering these and going to business suggesting these as employee giveaways. It didn't create any sales for me, but I saw later that they had gone nation wide. I still have an original keepsake on my misadventure. The company was renting space from another concern and that concern misspent money on wine women and song and went bankrupt so the Top went elsewhere. I 'll see if I can post an ad.

Heres one thats got more bells and whistles on youtube.

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Crystal Radio   2011-12-17, 6:53 am

Hi Cliff,

That clip is neat. By the way, you need to edit your link to make it work. Very Happy I love toys like that!

I would love to just be able to find small diameter ferrite rods for projects like these, as well as a way to join small diameter rods to them like you find in rocket radios. Finding an inexpensive source of litz would be nice too while I'm dreaming. Very Happy Razz Their was a set of instructions in an older issue of the Crystal Set Society's newsletter for making your own loopstick coils a few years ago. I would like to try my hand at some of those if I could find the small diameter ferrite.

Other folks seem to have luck finding items like this in China, but for some reason I can't seem to share their luck. Doesn't stop me from looking though.

Cheers, Bob
Back to top Go down
SWsenior

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Crystal Radio   2011-12-17, 7:37 am

Hi Bob,

I have a bunch of small ferrite bars. I couldn't PM you so just to let you know if you are interested in them you can email me.

SWsenior
Back to top Go down
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Crystal Radio   2011-12-19, 4:04 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Hi Bob,

I have a bunch of small ferrite bars. I couldn't PM you so just to let you know if you are interested in them you can email me.

SWsenior

Good morning............. Sent you an e-mail from here yesterday. Look forward to your reply.

Thanks for the offer....... Bob
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Crystal Radio   2011-12-19, 10:27 am

Mistery Spinning Top link
Click Here

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Crystal Radio   2011-12-28, 8:33 am

W8WHO de N1NQC

Neat stuff. I especially like the primitive bread board set.It's sort of like a home brew version the Philmore VC -1000.

K
Back to top Go down

Homemade Crystal Radio
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1