Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Setting up your Radio workbench   2011-12-03, 10:48 pm

Click HERE

PostSubject: Re: Setting up your Radio workbench   2011-12-04, 5:47 am

Hi gang,

regarding bench lighting;

Last year I bought a desk light with magnifier that has more than paid for itself since. It came on sale again this year and I bought one for a friend for a Christmas gift.

Here's a link to it here from Lee Valley Tools......

Tabletop Maginifying Lamp

One heck of a bright light too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Setting up your Radio workbench   2011-12-04, 10:31 am

That is a very nice Lamp, a glass lens is a big PLUS. When I worked for The navy, one of my multitasking jobs, was inspecting other people's work and repairing computer and NTDS circuit cards, making wiring harnesses and plugs, Computer cables, printers, and Traceable Electronic Test Equipment calibration Standards. The Magnifying Lamp was essential for seeing defects, and we Had Low powered Microscopes to do the actual soldering and repairs.

To show the defects, we would write inspection reports and return the cards to the service personnel with numbers indicating the exact fault, such as lifted trace, cold solder joint, defective wire, damaged end connector, defective component, wrong part etc. Then we would put little fluorescent painted sticky arrows next to defect with id #. Made for easy reference if it was stored for repairs later.

PostSubject: Bench   2011-12-05, 3:38 pm

As a two-way radio technician, I have the luxury of being able to use some high end test equipment, which is calibrated annually, for my personal projects. Unfortunately, the most useful piece of equipment (service monitor) is priced out of range for the average person.
Another item that should be on everyone's bench is a digital camera. I always take LOTS of photos of my radios before restoration so that I have a good reference of where everything is supposed to go.
Good lighting is essential. I've used just about every type of light fixture & what I've found that works the best is track lighting mounted just above my work space with CFL bulbs. This gives me plenty of light, with no shadows and very little heat.
The best thing that I can recommend for a work bench is to keep it clean and organized. This will save you SO much time and aggravation.
This is my bench
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Setting up your Radio workbench   2011-12-06, 8:26 pm

Good Idea on the lighting, What kind of Scope and what can it display?

PostSubject: Re: Setting up your Radio workbench   2011-12-07, 5:21 am

Hewlett Packard 8920B
Oscope, Frequency generator, Frequency monitor, Spectrum analyzer, and much more
It's a great all in one meter.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Setting up your Radio workbench   2012-09-04, 11:06 am

I am soooooo jealous. I know they are a delight to work with. I used to use a Motorola at work in the 90s and the price on it would make a horse choke. Used it a lot on pagers and some two-way radios. While I was In the Mobile Radio Section, I was tasked with repairing all the pagers for the Shipyard, There were close to 500 and the guy that was supposed to do the job was a real skater, He would just order new ones rather than repair, management finally caught on to what He was doing. So it took me about 4 weeks to strip them down repair and align them with new reeds. Motorola was a great brand to repair not Like the rats nests in GE pagers.

The Managers who Had defective pagers would bring them to the repair desk and I would have another one to replace it with Immediately. That really impressed them when I took over.

But on your HP I can see where it would make things so much easier to work with. One thing I used to do while repairing Pagers is listen to cell phone conversations on the monitor section just to past the time faster. WOW you wouldn't believe how bad people talk when they think no one is listening in.

Sorry this post is so late, but many things to do on my part and once in a while I like to review all posts, just to keep up on things. I do miss some first time around Embarassed

PostSubject: Re: Setting up your Radio workbench   2012-09-04, 3:59 pm

It was a hoot listening to cell phones. Can't do that anymore these days since they all went digital.
The old voice pagers are just about a thing of the past. The only people that still use them in our area are firefighters. With all of the intrinsic safety regulations, we can't work on them anymore. Motorola doesn't sell parts for them. I have to send them back to the factory for minor stuff, like a cracked housing.
Service monitors are wonderful pieces of equipment, I'm just glad I don't have to pay for one. We just had to get one of ours repaired. It cost over $4000, which was still a lot better than $16000 for a new one. I had one of the Motorola monitors that I used up until last year. I swapped with one of my other techs because he couldn't get used to using the HP. I'm glad I did, the HP will do SO much more. I can tune pretty much anything with it... I may even be able to tuna fish. It's a little more difficult to set up, but now I have profiles saved for each customer. All I have to do is select the customer name from the list & I'm ready to start testing their radios. No more searching through files for customer frequencies, PL tones, modulation format etc.
Dave
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Setting up your Radio workbench   2012-09-04, 4:40 pm

Yes I know what you mean. Tuna fish that's funny. That was just about the time that digital everything was starting to imerge, and the cost for the programmers was very expensive but being the Government we had more control and a contract for all parts from them. The radios were used for everything even scrambled radios for the On base Police and detective, fire department, crane operators, Military too.

PostSubject: Re: Setting up your Radio workbench   2012-09-11, 8:32 am

I will assume you'd tuna fish just for the halibut? What a Face
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Setting up your Radio workbench   2012-09-11, 10:41 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I will assume you'd tuna fish just for the halibut? What a Face

LOL pure corny

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Setting up your Radio workbench   2014-05-11, 6:11 pm

Well guess what? I done rearranged my Radio Room AGAIN with a lot of help from a close friend of mine. I now have a power strip on the bench, fluorescent light above the bench, moved book shelves, centered metal racks into the center of the room. Still have a lot of rearranging to do. I will post some pictures here when done.

PostSubject: Re: Setting up your Radio workbench   2014-05-12, 4:21 am

Looking forward to seeing those photos when you post them Cliff. I'm still working, on paper anyway, on how I want to lay my man cave out. I haven't been very good at organizing the storage of parts and goodies, so any photos of other setups will definitely help.  Smile
Back to top Go down

Setting up your Radio workbench
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1