Share | 

Oscilloscopes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Oscilloscopes   2010-12-06, 9:39 pm

This topic will cover all aspects of using and repairs to O'scopes. If you have any problems with your Scope someone may be of help here.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Oscilloscopes   2010-12-08, 5:12 pm

Oscilloscopes can be very helpful in diagnosing problems with radios. You can check frequencies, voltages AC and DC, phasing, Lissajous patterns, distortion, AC voltages riding on AC (spikes)
Complex waveforms, and bandwidth.

You can check for ripple current on a DC power supply, you can see trailing and leading edges on digital pulses.
Its a versatile tool when you learn how to use it.

The range of frequencies start at DC and can go to Several Gigahertz.
They can be used as spectrum analyzers, and even checking automobile ignition and spark plug problems.

The basic device uses a Cathode ray tube to present a visible pattern, this pattern is displayed with a cross-grid so readings can be interpreted.

There are scopes that can test transistor and tube curves, show frequency spread, show shorts in wires and transmission lines, show distortion, and envelope patterns, modulation percentage, spikes, drops and analysis of signals automatically.

Last edited by Cliff Jones on 2011-06-30, 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more details)
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Picked up another O'scope   2011-08-21, 11:54 pm

Went to PSARA Parking lot sale up north of Seattle, and got a Tektronix 2213 60MHz Unit.
Included with it was the service manual, and went online to get the Users manual.

$20 tongue Very Happy

Finally fired up the beast and it it looks like it works, I will test it further though.
The trace needs to be rotated yet, should be easy as there is an adjustment on the front panel as a display trace.
Downloaded the Users Manual, but My HP printer is kinda flakey.

PostSubject: For Lovers of Tek Scopes.   2012-06-27, 4:33 am

Hi Guys, i have numerous Scopes in my collection, Tektronik Scopes being me own personal favorite, i have the 535A, Scope with plugins and the 545B on its own trolley with 4 plug in amps, its a lovely piece of equipment, the build quality is second to none. These are old Scopes and i use them during and after repair of my old Radio,s, so they go to-gether, i have the full manuals for each Scope. ...regards....Alan.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Oscilloscopes   2012-06-27, 9:51 am

The other nice thing about that is there are collectors and aficionados that actually sell parts and give advice on repairs. I used to work in the 500 series section in Beaverton, back in 75-76 and the quality controls and detailing were outstanding, along with employee profit share, our own Credit Union, and the Company was self reliant as to manufacturing in-house, in case of outside strikes or disruptions in deliveries of materials.

They would take a complete scope and cut out sections of the case to see the internals and view them while they were being on a shaker table, tested while powered on in ovens and freezers. That's why they stood up to the competition and became the Industrial Leader. I learned a lot from them, through the schooling they offered after hours, and bus trips to other plants during working hours. They encouraged inventions and Ideas to improve design and production. Great company all around. cheers

PostSubject: Picked up another O'scope   2012-06-29, 11:13 am

Hi Cliff, you sound as bad as me, i must admit i love Tek Scopes, i have two monsters a 535A and a 545B, both work 100%, these need the large filter at the rear cleaned often or they can overheat. The model you have sounds a steal, its nice to pick up these scopes cheap, just the job for the collection. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Another use for your scope......regards....Alan.

Last edited by phasedout on 2012-06-29, 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To find Link.)
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Oscilloscopes   2012-06-29, 9:25 pm

Very nice link.
The Flash is better than typing word by word to get an Idea across.
I learned a few things, but alas all I have are analog scopes, all used, and low frequency. I think the highest off hand is 60MHZ or the probe freq.

PostSubject: Re: For Lovers of Tek Scopes.   2012-07-02, 10:57 am

Nice, reply Cliff and very interesting for us who do not know what went on inside these companies. Sounds like Tektronics were ahead in the employment field, and the way they looked after you well, and this is reflected in their outstanding products, thank,s for reply.........Alan.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Here is a good lowdown on Scopes to avoid or buy   2012-07-19, 3:27 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: Oscilloscopes   2012-07-28, 8:31 am

Another good reference for older Tektronix scopes is the book "Oscilloscopes: Selecting and Restoring a Classic", by Stan Griffiths.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Learning about controls on an Oscilloscope    2012-11-18, 11:47 pm

Checking out an oscope
--------------------------------
How NOT To Blow Up Your Oscilloscope!

PostSubject: Re: Oscilloscopes   2012-11-19, 11:00 am

Thanks for all the links Cliff. I'll check these out later today.
Back to top Go down
CHUCKSUE

PostSubject: Bell and Howell Model 34 Oscilloscope   2015-02-11, 9:59 am

I am working on this scope and found that the variable sweep pot didn't have any carbon on 90% of the fiber. I replaced the pot whit another 2 MEG. and now the wave form is ok. BUT when I sync the wave form the leading edge and the trailing edge of the sign wave move up and down. I can't get it to sync completely. Any ideas on what could be causing this? When the leading edge moves up the trailing edge moves down.
Back to top Go down
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Oscilloscopes   2015-02-15, 4:44 pm

IIRC, You might have to adjust your probe compensation capacitor a bit. Adjustment of that varies the waveform you see.
 Possibly bad/drifting value in resistors or capacitors in the scope, or if its tube type, a gassy tube.

OTT the crystal ball says "Out to Lunch"
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Couldn't help myself oh! oh! another O'scope    2015-06-17, 8:59 am

Went to my local thrift store and I found a HP 130A O'scope,its limit is 300 kHz. But I found out that I can use it for  R.F. transmissions too. 

It was designed for audio, phase shift, VLF, AND vibration analysis, if I read the HP Journel right.

It's very sensitive, has triggering which for its time, beat out Dumont O'scopes, and took on Tektronix's  too!

Oscilloscopes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: Radio Repair Bench :: Test Equipment-
Jump to: