ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed   Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed I_icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2015, 7:14 pm

Great info on finding the outside foil! I would not have thought of that, but it makes perfect sense.

They also made the same style cap with color bands on it, just like the "bumble bee" types. Those threw me when I first saw them in a TV set. It was easy to figure out though, when I thought about it.

They also made disk ceramic caps with color dot coding. Pretty rare to find them, but they do exist.

When I first started I thought the tubular ceramics were actually resistors. A bit of research and I had that solved too.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed   Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed I_icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2015, 2:00 pm

Another issue is trimmer caps.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Make sure that the side with the screw is tied to the ground or chassis. The other side may be dangerous as there may be high voltage, upwards of several hundred volts DC. You need to use a metal screwdriver to turn these and make sure they have some heatshink sleeveing on the shaft so they won't short out against you or other components.

Do not!, however use a metal screwdriver on ferrite slugs as you will fracture or break the slugs and the metal will detune the coil.

Another Hint on Caps

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed   Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed I_icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2015, 1:47 pm

I was browsing the web and found something worth remembering.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This type of cap (polypropylene) is one that can replace the wax and paper caps without problems.
They are more temperature stable the disk caps.

They can be used In circuits, but they can cause problems if they are used incorrectly.

Here's the Problem. They have no mark on them to signify which lead is the outer foil.
Some paper caps and wax caps also have a ring around them one one end. That signifies the lead that should be used as a shield. This is normally chassis ground or negative side.

If it is used say,  in-between stages the non shielded lead should go to the lowest end-such as the grid of the next stage and the Shielded lead goes to the plate of the previous stage.

Here's why. stray magnetic and electrostatic fields.

Now you need to know which is which because there is no requirement for marking.

How can I  test ? you ask, why of course, and the answer is very simple.

Use your oscilloscope. Turn on your scope and set the highest sensitivity you can. take the probe lead and hold with your finger and thumb, at the lowest frequency you should see a non sinusoidal  trace pattern. this is power noise and you are infact acting as an antenna.

now put the ground lead of the probe to one of the leads and the probe lead to the other. Without touching either lead hold the body of the cap in your fingers. You should see some noise on the trace.

Now reverse the probe and ground leads and again hold the body of the cap with your fingers.

Notice any difference? You should!
The trace that is smaller indicates the lead that is the outer foil shield.

There you have it. Mark with a dot the shielded end on the body using a sharpie pen.

This will help in reducing Hum and extraneous noises into the circuit.

If any one sees that my explanation is incorrect please post a reply and I will square the info around to be correct.
That's my Hint on capacitors Idea

Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

PostSubject: Re: Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed   Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed I_icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2014, 7:05 am

That is a great link Frank, thank you. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed   Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed I_icon_minitimeApril 24th 2014, 11:32 pm

Dont forget B&D Enterprises. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
All top notch quality electrolytics and semi's.
Not the cheapo Chinese crap.
When I was in business I did 98% of my business with this folks. 100% guaranteed parts too.
Great kits of electro's and SMD's

If you don't know what kind of cap you need, they can find just what is needed. 105C caps too!
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed   Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed I_icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2013, 2:38 pm

And heres a good refence in a PDF file:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed   Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed I_icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2011, 4:33 pm

I think buying capacitors can be confusing. There are so many types to choose from. I recently bought a kit from just radios and was happy, now that I know, I have some to work with. However I didn't purchase any electrolytics, (which I am about to do.)

I don't think the orange drops are necessary, I think it may be just a oversell. Ordinary polypropylene caps should work, I have the axial leads with yellow bodies.

Although I am in the same boat. I will go for just radios electrolytic kit. I think its $59-$69. Then I am prepared. to start doing basic repairs. Others may have more experience than I, in the area of caps and I would like to get their opinions too.It is hard to know what and how many to have of each value, but a kit is a good starting point.

I just don't have time to do cost comparisons so I to have the same dilemma.

Heres a good info page on caps:
>>Click Here to see cap INFO<<

Between you and I, we maybe, can make sense of the best types to get, and develop a users list of sellers and best buys. affraid Suspect Wink

PS: Welcome to our niche in the world wide web!

PostSubject: What capacitors to use?   Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed I_icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2011, 12:06 pm

Hello all,
Fairly new to the old restorations. I am getting ready to order a supply of capacitors for the AA5 radios. I am not sure what is the best to
buy. I like the axial leads . What to buy.. Orange drop polypropylrene film......polyproplene metalized....and so forth.
I have looked at the Antique Radio Supply and Just Radios. Any other recommendations or suppliers. Also electrolytics styles and types.
Thanks for any help. Cliff
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed   Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed I_icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2010, 11:12 pm

Questions and observations here

PostSubject: Re: Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed   Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Capacitor's (condensers), variable and fixed
Page 1 of 1