ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Share | 

"Free" AM broadcast transmitter for your old radio

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: "Free" AM broadcast transmitter for your old radio   2013-04-15, 4:22 pm

Not quite sure this belongs in this area, but feel free to move it.

OK, so you just got that mega buy in the mail of all the old radio shows on CD and tape.
BUT- you can't play them thru your old radios.
Here is the "Free" solution.
You have a RF generator with an external modulation set of jacks right?
Well, just plug in your CD player or cassette decks line level outputs to the external modulation jacks, set the generator to the desired frequency you want to listen to. Hook up about 6' of wire to the output terminal on the generator.
Turn on the deck/ CD, and the RF gen. and viola- free transmitter!
I have achieved 20-30' easily this way.

This is a great idea for the next museum exihibit or radio show you present.

Of course, it would be really awesome to hook up several of these setups and then be able to tune across the band and pick up several of the "oldie" programs. The best part is your setup costs nothing, just using the equipment you already have.

This could also be a fun way to scare the dicking out of the trick or treaters on Halloween too.
Setup an old radio then have it play the eerie scary soounds or music.
Back to top Go down
copain

PostSubject: Re: "Free" AM broadcast transmitter for your old radio   2013-05-20, 2:20 pm

I did this with my Lodestar signal generator, and have achieved great results. The only modification I've needed is to add a small preamp when I'm broadcasting a CD for proper output volume. I use that small handy amplifier sold by Radio Shack for $14.95. Now, maybe I'm naive but as I listen to this home transmitter throughout my house, sometimes all day, I am forced to wonder how much better the commercial home transmitters, such as the Talking House and the SSTrans, can be any better in performance. The Lodestar, when I purchased it from AES several years ago, was not cheap--about $140--and I've now used it more as a transmitter than a conventional signal generator to align circuits. Your suggestion to those wanting a near ready-made home transmitter is an excellent one, and I'd like to hear from others who have tried the idea.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: "Free" AM broadcast transmitter for your old radio   2013-05-20, 3:19 pm

I am going to get a URM 25 eventually, and it has an external modulation, that should suffice for me. Going to be fun ! Like a Star @ heaven

PostSubject: Re: "Free" AM broadcast transmitter for your old radio   2013-05-20, 6:22 pm

Cliff,
I may have one of those buried in the storage.
We are going to try to go thru all of it this summer (!!??); and if I can find it, I will let you know.
There are only so many sig gen's a person can use.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: "Free" AM broadcast transmitter for your old radio   2013-05-21, 2:40 pm

A friend of mine says he may know of one for about $60, which may be available. Here's hoping!

But if i doesn't materialize, would you be willing to work with me on it? bounce

PostSubject: Re: "Free" AM broadcast transmitter for your old radio   2013-05-21, 7:03 pm

Indeed I would.
I am hoping to run across that AM BCB loop coil that you needed too. I put it in a safe place. Now I can't find it.
You need to come down for a visit.

Are you going to the Chehalis HamFair?
I will be the one with the 5 ton 6x6 truck, and maybe even the 1.5 ton trailer loaded too.
You may have a hard time seeing it as its painted camoflauge though Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: "Free" AM broadcast transmitter for your old radio   2013-05-22, 2:22 pm

No I don't travel, as I am a caregiver for my wife.
Olympia I could do for a couple of hours. I would have to plan it when my wife has another caregiver that is available.

PostSubject: Re: "Free" AM broadcast transmitter for your old radio   2013-10-04, 2:12 pm

Cliff--Did you ever get a URM 25 or other signal generator that has provision for external modulation? Have you tried it as a very efficient home AM transmitter? Results? Antenna? Range? Fidelity? Audio source(s)-etc.? I find this aspect of the antique radio hobby the most dynamic and I wish there were enough interest by others to make it a separate forum.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: "Free" AM broadcast transmitter for your old radio   2013-10-04, 8:42 pm

I did get the URM 25 about two months ago, I also yesterday got 3 Heathkit pieces of test equipment, C-1 capacitor checker, C-3 capacitor checker, and a LG-1 signal generator.
I did this by trading for 4 GR(General Radio RF) connectors.

I have quite a few connectors, terminations and feed throughs,and adapters, about 70 or so to start with, and I am selling or trading half to a local ham, with possibility of doing more trades rather than cash. Very Happy 

The Heath Signal generator uses the old screw-on microphone jack, which I will see if I can swap out to a BNC connector. It's the First Lab generator that Heath produced from my readings. It has a Meter to show output strength. I haven't looked to see if it has external modulation yet. I understand that my URM-25 has that feature, so I may try using it for a RF broadcaster.

PostSubject: Re: "Free" AM broadcast transmitter for your old radio   2013-10-07, 1:52 pm

"I haven't looked to see if it has external modulation yet."

It does.

http://www.w6ze.org/Heathkit/Heathkit_032_LG1.pdf
Back to top Go down
copain

PostSubject: Re: "Free" AM broadcast transmitter for your old radio   2013-12-05, 2:54 pm

"I may try using it for a RF broadcaster."

So. . .did you? Results? Problems?
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: "Free" AM broadcast transmitter for your old radio   2013-12-06, 5:45 pm

No, I haven't had the time. I had my sister visit, and had Her Help to move my Dad into a Assisted Living from another, all the forms and Medical Evaluations were more than I expected. But getting back to the project, I still have the Cap checker on the bench, I am trying to find out what is loading down one of the voltages. I am guessing its a kit miswire, and the assembly instructions are a nightmare.

The reason I need the cap checker is I have a friend who is willing to give me some Old/New Stock caps. And I need the checker to do reforming before I install caps. Once I get that done then the Generator will be my next Project.

PostSubject: Re: "Free" AM broadcast transmitter for your old radio   

Back to top Go down

"Free" AM broadcast transmitter for your old radio
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1