HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Transistor Testers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ve1arn

PostSubject: Looking for 2 manuals....FOUND   2011-04-23, 4:41 am

Hi all,

Looking for the following manuals, scanned or hard copy please..........

B&K Model 160 Dynamic Transistor & Power Supply

and....

VuData Model 3110 In Circuit Component Tester

Any help in getting these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bob Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: B&K Model 160 Transistor Tester Manual    2012-09-11, 11:07 pm

I have just received the Instruction Manual in a JPG files. Just PM me if your in need of one. It 8-9 megs

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Transistor Testers   2012-12-14, 7:03 pm

I Sent The Manual Via Email for the B&K 160 some time back (sorry-just to update this post) sunny

PostSubject: Re: Transistor Testers   2012-12-15, 5:05 am

Cliff, I thought for sure I sent a reply to you when I got them. If I didn't I apologize, as I thought I did.

Thanks again though, it is/was definitely appreciated. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Transistor Testers   2012-12-15, 8:35 am

No you did notify me. I am just doing some cleanup. But I forgot to respond. I am just trying to do more posting activity for obvious reasons.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Transistor Testers   2013-06-24, 1:56 pm

This is where transistor testers are discussed.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Just purchased Sencore Cricket transistor tester   2013-07-10, 2:42 pm

It cost $10 plus shipping. Boy whoever had it evidently didn't keep things clean. It was covered in black and brown dirt-dust and greasy filthy metal handle.  It had a power plug that had a replacement that was added, but rather than get a new plug it was just spliced into the existing cord. Then it was electrically taped with many turns. It took me about 5 minutes to remove all the tape. I Used a replacement plug and rewired plug. Instead of tape I used heatshink. I did the same with the external lead test clips.

I plugged the unit in and the meter light came on, so far so good. I put in a transistor to test but it did not react. No sound or meter movement. So today I hooked up my scope and tested the transistor test-jack. I did get a sloping triangle that was not to good. It was now time to check to see if the power supply was good, So I removed the case and didn't see anything that was suspicious, burned or exploded. I noticed some black greasy dirt particles, so out with the alcohol and brush and paper towel. Cleaned up and noticed when I removed the top circuit card for inspection some very tiny solder balls on the circuit card. So swabbed with alcohol and brush and some flux, Started to put meter back in the case the noticed a Molex plug that was just dangling on the top of the meter, well what do you know! there were two pins on the circuit card exposed, so with all my experience(HAH) I Plugged the dangling cord in the remaining pins.

I crossed my eyes er I mean my fingers, assembled the case and tried a test with a transistor. And it worked. YEAH!

Tried another Transistor and it to passed, I am a Happy Camper ER! I mean Tester!

Before I started to tear into this one after its failure to work I had another tester a B&K 520 transistor tester.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I hadn't tried it beforehand so just to see if it worked just in case and it did. So now I have two Testers that work. I also have a B&K 160 transistor tester that I haven't tried yet,

and a Heathkit that will arrive Friday. IT is a Lab style transistor tester and designer and uses D cells so I am anxious to see what kind of shape it is in. It was mentioned by the seller to have some battery corrosion in the battery compartment. It also uses voltage taps to get needed voltages. It is supposed to test higher currents and higher voltages. I suspect it would need an external power supply for those.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Transistor Testers   2013-07-20, 9:40 pm

Try this link for the VuData

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: Transistor Testers   2013-07-21, 10:00 am

Cliff........ Once again.... you're awesome!!!
Thanks a heap for finding this. I had looked at the BAMA site, but that was quite a while ago. Guess I should keep checking back every so often. <blush>

Thank you again!!

Bob
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Transistor Testers   2013-07-21, 12:12 pm

glad to help

PostSubject: Re: Transistor Testers   2013-07-28, 11:21 pm

B&K also made a curve tracer that plugged into an oscilliscope.
I have one and if you can find one, it will tell you more than the ones you have.
The curve and higher applied voltages (user variable) can more approximate real life functioning.

Beware on the one you have that chirps- it can easily mis-read germanium transistors- especially if you do not have their pinout. I have one and thats my biggest gripe about it. Play with it a lot with various types to get used to it.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Transistor Testers   2013-07-29, 8:23 am

I Do have a curve tracer adapter that is undescript, I will have to pull it out. I have tried googling it but came up with nothing. It looks like an experimenter built it. Its for oscilloscope use.
Model A by Jud Williams.
The probe is a B&K DYNAFLEX FP3

Thanks for the heads up on the cricket!

Last edited by Cliff Jones on 2013-07-30, 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Transistor Testers   2013-07-29, 12:30 pm

You can make a curve tracer out of (IIRC) 2 resistors and a 6.3 v fil transformer. I have seen the schematic in several places and in several books.

I built one years ago and then proceeded to blow out many germanium diodes with it. That was the end of that project.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Transistor Testers   2013-07-29, 3:17 pm

Are you thinking of what is referred to in the Navy NEETs course as an octopus? essentially the same as your description. I'll see if I can find it with page number.
THE OCTOPUS.—The octopus is a small, homemade test set used with an oscilloscope to check electronic components in circuit. It can be made easily and cheaply using parts from the supply system. Figure 1-42 is a schematic of an octopus that uses either a 6.3-volt filament transformer or an audio oscillator for input power. The benefits of in circuit troubleshooting with an octopus are (1) reduced maintenance time, (2) less chance of damage from soldering-iron heat, and (3) a visual display of the component's condition.

The octopus tests all components for shorts, high resistance, and opens; it checks front-to-back ratios  on junction components (transistors and diodes); and it analyzes ICs and reactive components (capacitors  and inductors). Figure 1-43 shows some typical oscilloscope displays obtained when the octopus is used.  Figures 1-44, 1-45, and 1-46 depict transistor, potentiometer, and combination component displays,  respectively. Detailed operating procedures can be found in topic 6 of NEETS, Module 16, Introduction  to Test Equipment, and in the Electronic Installation and Maintenance Book (EIMB), Test Methods and  Practices, NAVSEA SE000-00-EIM-130.

PostSubject: Re: Transistor Testers   2013-07-30, 7:37 am

That is similar to what I was talking about, but the one I made used just a 6.3v transformer and 2 resistors. THe values were something like 330 and 3300 ohms or maybe 3300 and 33,000 ohms.
I have slept a few times since I made it 45 yrs ago.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Transistor Testers   2013-07-30, 10:30 am

looks like the ratio is the same as the pictured one, good call.

PostSubject: Re: Transistor Testers   2013-07-30, 10:33 pm

BTW,
You can get similar patterns from a Huntron Tracker, and Heathkit made their own version of the Tracker too.
I do own both and they both work fine. The Huntron is more sophisticated though, and was a LOT more money.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Transistor Testers   2013-07-31, 2:43 pm

I received my Heathkit Model IM-30 a couple of weeks ago, and the front was just like new, but alas the battery compartment had some corrosion. It uses D cells, 7 in all. The springs were in fair to excellent shape. They used fiber washers as insulators for the Bolts that were used as the Positive battery connections. I went to ACE Hardware and got some nylon tube and nylon flat washers and fixed the problem on several contacts.

I took a small wire brush to clean up the chassis corrosion and springs. I may later paint the inside of the battery section.

It also has external power jack connectors (Banana plugs) so it will be interesting to find how that will workout. I did find an online manual on it.

I also ran across a manual for the Jud Williams curve tracer and I stumbled across my probe for it. I had it stashed away, not knowing that it was for the curve tracer. So I promptly put a sticky label on the probe to identify what its used with.

PostSubject: Re: Transistor Testers   

Back to top Go down

Transistor Testers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: Radio Repair Bench :: Test Equipment-
Jump to: