Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Replacing capacitors

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
copain

PostSubject: Replacing capacitors   2014-01-23, 2:58 pm

Here is a great topic for discussion. Should all paper/wax capacitors be willy-nilly replaced in restoring an antique radio? I am NOT referring to power supply electrolytics. I now quote an EXPERT in antique radio repair, Ed Romney, from his book, Fixing Up Nice Old Radios. From p. 105 in his discussion of restoring a Bosch 420 (although he could be talking about restoring any unit)--

"Some people will wonder why we left all th9ose old waxy paper capacitors in the Bosch 420 without replacing them. My reasoning is--if they lasted 56 years already there is no reason why they shouldn't last another 56 years. Paper capacitors fail from punch-through due to a defect in the paper and foil or physical damage or too much heat and high voltage. They don't dry out or get hard. Replacing a whole bunch of them because one went bad is like throwing out all your car tires because one tire went flat due to a nail in it. Sometimes they [i.e. paper/wax capacitors] fail when a year old, others may last ten, fifty or maybe a hundred years. We do not know yet. . . .[R]esistors and paper or mica capacitors are not consumed in use like a battery and it is crude and unthinking to rip them out because the radio has reached a certain age. It is like pulling all a person's teeth because they need some fillings."

So. . .agree with Ed Romney? Disagree? Comments? Counterarguments? Nasty remarks?

Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Replacing capacitors   2014-01-23, 3:58 pm

The only time I think, I would change them is if there is a circuit problem. Visual clues included. I did change all of them in my capacitor checker, because I could not find which ones were bad. So I used the shotgun approach to save troubleshooting time.

PostSubject: Re: Replacing capacitors   2014-01-24, 5:23 am

OK; now let's hear what others have to say.
Back to top Go down
copain

PostSubject: Re: Replacing capacitors   2014-01-26, 2:45 pm

So far, not a word from anyone else. How strange. . . .I assumed forum members would jump right into a discussion, with most defending the routine replacing of all paper/wax capacitors, thereby vehemently disagreeing with a so-called expert.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing capacitors   

Back to top Go down

Replacing capacitors
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1