ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

thoughts on transistors

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

thoughts on transistors Empty
PostSubject: Re: thoughts on transistors   thoughts on transistors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2015, 4:50 pm

I should add here that the Germanium transistors are starting to show problems in sets, as the preparation of the wafers was not as good as it could have been, and they are starting to grow "whiskers" that cause intermittents or shorts.
 This problem is cropping up more and more in car and home radios using the old Germanium  transistors.
NASA has published some tech articles on this.
( I repaired an old Ford car radio with 4! bad Germanium xistors in it).
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: thoughts on transistors   thoughts on transistors I_icon_minitimeOctober 12th 2014, 8:16 pm

Boy I remember When I was working at The Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, the plannerman had tons of catalogs for ordering parts. He had a Motorola Data book that weighed at least 5# and rows of D.A.T.A. books for reference and they were all tossed out, because of going over to Microchips and commercial computers on Ships. The Computers we worked on mostly were From Companies under contract, such as Hughes Aircraft, (Enormous maker of Shipboard Warfare Computer Systems).

And of course we were just phasing out microfiche cards for online Military parts reference through Navsup.

The Book reference materials for just transistors and Microchips comprised book shelves 10 feet long and 4 foot high, and packed so you couldn't get the books out easily.

Microfiche on the other hand were held in trays of approximately 2-3000 cards each and at least 10-15 trays. (wish I had those)

They would show all manufactures and specs with parameters listed. And if we needed more details we had further microfiche wit outlines and diagrams.  

If we couldn't obtain through our supply system we would even order production runs through commercial  contracts.

So if any one wants to go whole hog try and find Microfiche called M.C.R.L. and a Microfiche reader of course.

There are companies who have seen the value of stockpiling solid-state devices just for sales to the government. They are a good source for private sales of almost all solid-state parts.

Part manufactures are required to keep supplies for the military under contracts, Texas Instruments, Fairchild Semi-conductors, Motorola, ROHM,  International Rectifier, Vishay, even foreign owned companies, such as Mitsubishi , Sony, Toshiba, and even European.
Here's a good article on manufacturers, developed standards for references, and strict compliance standards to bring conformity to the world. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

FrankB

PostSubject: Re: thoughts on transistors   thoughts on transistors I_icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 5:47 pm

I must admit, I have many drawers of used semis sorted out using the ECG numbers.
I started that 30+ yrs ago, and it does work pretty good for some sort of organization, and its easy to find an OEM xistor or IC in the used bins by reverse crossing to the ECG number.
 Its time consuming though, at times; but the best way I have found so far.
I also have some Japanese OEM spec books and D.A.T.A. books for trying to cross some of the semi's.
Now days I have way too many used IC's & specialty semis though to try to cross this way on a lot of the items. Especially the STK & STR pks.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: thoughts on transistors   thoughts on transistors I_icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2014, 3:17 pm

Good info as usual Frank..... thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: thoughts on transistors   thoughts on transistors I_icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2014, 12:29 pm

Good to know Frank!

FrankB

PostSubject: Re: thoughts on transistors   thoughts on transistors I_icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2014, 4:46 pm

The major thing to remember on using the ECG numbers is that many times the ratings/ parameters of the transistor they replace are quite different.
If you are dealing with using a JEDEC numbered device in place of an ECG, look up the specs on both first.
If dealing with Sony TV's, use OEM semis only. ECG's won't work most of the time. Sad
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: thoughts on transistors   thoughts on transistors I_icon_minitimeApril 17th 2014, 4:20 am

I used to use Excel. Then I got a copy of Filemaker Pro and tried that. Been using it since.

My method is to use the NTE software to look up the device in question and print the data on the item on return address labels. Then stick that on a zip lock bag that contains the items.

I have separate Rubber Maid storage boxes that hold each type of device, one for IC's, one for power transistors, diodes, resistors, Germanium stuff, etc.

Filemaker tells me all I need to know about the item including which box it is stored in as well as the NTE cross reference number.

Thanks for the links too Cliff!!! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: thoughts on transistors   thoughts on transistors I_icon_minitimeApril 16th 2014, 9:48 pm

I have A couple of Pieces of test equipment that I will Test My Transistors ( and Diodes) on, After I inventory them. Put them In Microsoft Excel first,then I have some Testers that I can use.

1. Sencore Cricket Transistor Tester.
2. B&K 160 Transistor Tester.
3. B&K 520 Transistor Tester.
4. Heathkit Transistor Tester IM 30. (unknown condition).

I have 120 small drawers in total, in two parts cabinets (AKRO Mills Style)
So I have my work cut out for Me on those. Sleep

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: thoughts on transistors   thoughts on transistors I_icon_minitimeApril 16th 2014, 9:22 pm

Good Motorola Reference book Here
Motorola Small-Signal Transistors, FETs and Diodes Device Data

A whole set of books on transistors.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: thoughts on transistors   thoughts on transistors I_icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2014, 12:07 am

PostSubject: Re: thoughts on transistors   thoughts on transistors I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

thoughts on transistors
Page 1 of 1