Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Ferrite bars........................

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ve1arn

PostSubject: Ferrite bars........................   2014-04-02, 3:38 pm

Trying to get some activity on here again if possible.

Anyone out there have any ideas as to how to properly attach a metal rod to a small ferrite rod. I'm trying to make a sliding rod similar to what was in those older rocket radios.

Hot glue good enough, and if so, would it affect the quality of the rod in any way? I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt, but looking for any feedback, guidance or what have you.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Ferrite bars........................   2014-04-02, 5:19 pm

Some guessing on my part.
Is the ferrite soft enough to drill?
You could get some Automotive Silicon RTV (Black is the strongest) and try that instead of the epoxy, but no drilling into the RTV.
If you can drill the ferrite, the RTV could be used to hold the rod in the hole, be sure the RTV is also in the hole when you insert the rod and let cure.

You could attempt to use epoxy. Just put a small Ziploc baggy around one end of the Ferrite, insde the baggy put some stiff paper and roll the baggy like cigarette paper and wrap tape or a rubber band to hold it in place around the ferrite rod.
Cut a small wooden dowel, drill a hole to fit the metal rod into, split the dowel for easy removal.

Note:  the epoxy will allow the baggy to be removed by peeling off after the epoxy is hardened.

Insert the mix of epoxy down into the baggy till the epoxy contacts the top of the ferrite rod. Either insert the metal rod with dowel spacer into the epoxy an let the epoxy set up, or after the epoxy is set, then drill and tap the hardened epoxy and thread the rod to screw into the ferrite rod or the epoxy.

Hope this Helps.  

I think I have seen in some radios a pulley system to move the ferrite rod. Being that the string was glued to both ends.
Let us know please what works.

PostSubject: Re: Ferrite bars........................   2014-04-12, 12:08 am

What kind of drinks do they serve at a ferrite bar? Laughing 

Ferrite is VERY brittle. If you try to drill it, but its very likely to break. ,( You -might- get by using a laser to "drill" the hole however.

So, that being said, a couple of things to try:

Take a core(s) from an IFT and epoxy a brass, fiberglass, or plastic rod down the center of the adjustment hole.

Mount some ferrite toroidal cores on a rod with epoxy.

Using brass will change the "Q" of the coil, as will steel.
Plastic will allow oit to remain the same.
Remember that you can carefully grind down a core that is too large for your coil form. If you use the threaded IF cores, they grind down real ez, but they are all brittle, so care is necessary.

I seriously doubt hot glue will hold, as I have peeled it off of ferrite cores and coil forms to be able to adjust them. The same with silicon RTV.

Back to top Go down
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Ferrite bars........................   2014-05-29, 5:53 pm

Take the core out of an old inductance tuned car radio and use that. Cool 
The brass adj. screw is firmly affixed into the ferrite core with some sort of adhesive.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Ferrite bars........................   2014-05-30, 8:56 am

Thanks Frank. I do have a a couple of older car radios that are unfixable. I like that idea.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

Ferrite bars........................
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1