Share | 

Yeasu FRG 100 Power supply

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Yeasu FRG 100 Power supply   2014-07-03, 9:04 pm

Since I have reorganized my Radio room, I am missing my Wall Wart for my Receiver. That's what happens when a helping hand volunteers, when you're gone.

So I am trying to improvise with other wall warts. It has to be 2000Ma at 12 volts DC. So I went online and purchased another, not knowing it was a switching power supply. (So much smaller), I also purchased a couple of special power jacks to adapt to the set. I replaced the connector on the wall wart and plugged it in. Wow Noise-noise-noise. Evil or Very Mad 

So I started to research why and after I tested it, showing no noise on my O'scope, I saying What the heck? Must be some other noise maker. So I left it plugged in and went to my circuit breaker and started to test which room had the noise maker. Well Guess what?, it was my new power supply after all.
I found out that most switcher power supply's only produce noise under load.

NOTE:  So just because you use a scope, it doesn't mean if your results are negative you may still need to consider why you are getting contrary results.

I will now test my supply with a load and now see noise I am sure. Also the same holds for linear power supply's with hum. No hum showing on the O'scope is because of no load.

Back to square one on finding a good filtered regulated supply.

Yeasu FRG 100 Power supply
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1