Share | 

Variacs and wiring specs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Variacs and wiring specs   2014-08-12, 9:51 am

I've had this Variac that I have had for probably 20 years or so. I salvaged it out of a landfill it was from the Navy before they started to do metal scrap in house. Its a General Radio W10MT3, Has a case, circuit breaker, and all the wiring was cut.

So last night I got on my High Horse and rewired it, removing all the wires that were soldered. It was a sloppy soldering job, musta been an electrician--LOL.

I had a hard time finding the wiring instructions as General Radio no longer Exists per/say. It was engulfed by IET-Labs back in 2004?.

I will post the Link for the Variac paper, its several pages long and has diagrams and specifications as to overload, changing voltage settings ect.
So here is a link to General Radio old Publications for the vintage test equipment and even to the old General Radio Experimenters magazines.

GR Variac Specs--Click Here

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The wiring Diagram I found Here was Figure d. That is for 0-140 vac.

So Sunday I now have two Variacs I'm going to take to the PSARA PARKING LOT SALE.

PostSubject: Re: Variacs and wiring specs   2014-08-12, 5:54 pm

Please keep in mind that the ratings on variable auto transformers is across the entire winding.

IE: If the transformer is rated at 5 amps, and you are only using it to output say, 24 volts, you must de-rate the total rating, as the windings won't handle a 5 amp draw for long before they burn up.

I have seen this happen, and read it in manufacturers literature decades ago.
Back to top Go down

Variacs and wiring specs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1