Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Neat cleaning brush

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: Neat cleaning brush   2014-11-02, 8:51 pm

I was going through some of the last personal effects here, throwing the last of the stuff out or to the Goodwill, and ran across a small tapered brush.
 Originally it was either used for mascara or eyebrows, I think.
 It fits nicely into the Octal and Septal pin tube socket holes.
 Putting some cleaner on it, it worked great for cleaning out some tarnish and crud.
So when your SO throws out her old mascara tube, grab the brush out of it.

It also worked pretty good for cleaning some switch contacts too, as well as being able to get into the grooves on knobs.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Neat cleaning brush   2014-11-03, 9:20 pm

Good suggestion (as always) It is getting harder to find pipe-cleaners, so stuff like this is important.
Another Idea is to get wooden matches, , also have used rounded toothpicks and also for cleaning rotary switches. I have used copy paper and rolled it up and used it for cleaning small holes such as clock bearing sleeves. Paper is an abrasive and could also be used for relay contacts.

Your suggestion of those brushes could also be used for cleaning hard to get at places, like solder rosin on turrets, solder posts, cleaning dust around parts on circuit cards. A little rubbing alcohol added should be safer than most solvents,  wouldn't hurt.  But I would imagine even a little brass polish might remove tarnish on the pin sockets using the brush Idea.

Thanks for your Idea.

PostSubject: Re: Neat cleaning brush   2015-06-27, 3:33 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
A little rubbing alcohol added should be safer than most solvents,  wouldn't hurt.  But I would imagine even a little brass polish might remove tarnish on the pin sockets using the brush Idea.

Thanks for your Idea.
Can alcohol (91%) be used to safely clean the dust and dirt off of the componets in my Freed Eisemann?  I'm thinking that it might be a little too rough on those big tuning coil things in this Neutrodyne receiver.  I sure don't want to muff up the radio just for the sake of cleaning up dust (even 90 year old dust)

Mike

Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Neat cleaning brush   2015-06-27, 9:18 am

Hi Super Bowl alcohol should be just fine in cleaning anything on that radio however I would use a Q-tip in an inconspicuous area and tested first.
 I think you should be safe though.
  Do not use straight alcohol, it will attack plastics however isopropyl alcohol is safe .
There is some water in alcohol and if the coils on your radio are compressed paper then the water might affect that and it might swell up. If however they have a wax there is some water in alcohol and if the coils on your radio are compressed paper then the water might affect that and it might swell up.  If however the coils have a wax coating, then it should be safe, Only use a soft brush and wipe your brush often to remove any dust and dirt on a paper towel a lot.

PostSubject: Re: Neat cleaning brush   2015-06-27, 8:33 pm

I use only denatured alcohol.
Rubbing alcohol has oil in it.
In 45+ years, I have never damaged anything by using it. Just be aware it can react with some plastics though.
Back to top Go down

Neat cleaning brush
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1