ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Hum and Micro-phonics Noise

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Hum and Micro-phonics Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hum and Micro-phonics Noise   Hum and Micro-phonics Noise I_icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2015, 1:03 am

I have sorted out the problems !  Was worried for nothing.  As soon as I hooked the radio up to a good earth ground and my outside antenna, It came alive!  Too many stations to list, however, I think part of the AM dial frequencies are missing.  I could not pick up anything much above 1050 kilohertz, but I did pick up some Atomic Clock.  There was no recorded voice at the minute tone, just morse code.
 Basically I still have a sensitive tube, and I need to make up some good connection wires with spade lugs on the ends.  I have it hooked up to my ARBE with gator wires and they are a Pain in the bum and always seep to pop off (plus the screws that hold the wires to the proper taps on the ARBE get loose very easy.
Thanks to all for their imput.  Now I can do my happy dance!
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Hum and Micro-phonics Noise   Hum and Micro-phonics Noise I_icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2015, 7:00 pm

Tap gently on the tubes with a pencil eraser, no harder than you want to get hit on the nose with.
 The microphonic tube will make noise.
 You can also have bad socket or solder connections causing the problem, or even a ground.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Hum and Micro-phonics Noise   Hum and Micro-phonics Noise I_icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2015, 9:47 pm

Hello again, friends!

I have finished (I think) my restoration of my 1923 Freed-Eisemann, NR-5, five tube battery set.

When I fire it up with the ARBE III, I find that I have a real problem with micro-phonics in the tubes.  I can thump one and they ring like a bell.  Also crackling sounds like a rock-tumbler.  The other night I was able to pick up one station, but did not hear a call sign, but by the sound of the announcer, he sounded like he was from "up Nawth."

I was happy to get that one station, however the symptoms seem to be getting worse.  I do not have a tube checker or access to one.  Before I shell out the $$$ for a re-tube, I'd like to get you guys input on the matter.  BTW, I do not have a loudspeaker, so I have to use headphones (Trimms) (they have been checked and the connections were tightened up which I found were loose)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hum and Micro-phonics Noise   Hum and Micro-phonics Noise I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hum and Micro-phonics Noise
Page 1 of 1