Signal Generators

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Signal Generators   2011-02-15, 12:50 pm

Signal generators can be used for more than alignment of radios. You can test inductive and capacitive components.

The Idea is when an AC signal is connected to a capacitor and a resistor in series, a voltmeter is first put on one component, then the voltage is read, then the other component is read for its voltage. When the voltages are equal you can determine the Impedance. I haven't tried this yet so I'll have to read up on it again.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Found at swap meet at PSARA in North Seattle   2011-08-22, 12:01 am

Two RCA RF signal generators
First one is model WR-50A paid $5
Second one was Model WR-49A paid $2

will test these soon but I would like a manual for each and Schematic, tried on the web but nothing.

PostSubject: Signal Generator Manual Needed   2011-09-07, 1:15 pm

I've looked in all the "usual suspect" places to no avail. Any help appreciated. Will gladly pay repro & mailing costs if need be.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2011-09-07, 2:37 pm

You need to specify which Brand and Model #. Very Happy

Or Just a general use manual?

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2011-09-07, 3:15 pm

Geeez, I thought I'd done that! I must be getting forgetful in my dotage. Crying or Very sad It's a Jackson Model 106. Surely SOMEONE has one.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2011-09-10, 1:13 pm

Jackson manuals are rare, BAMA has a couple but not your model. I will keep my eye out for one, but I am not too hopeful.

Last edited by Cliff Jones on 2014-05-14, 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NT9K

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2011-12-14, 4:07 pm

I'm also looking for a signal generator manual. Mine is the RCA Signal Generator Kit, no model number. I found a schematic on the web, but looking for a manual. I read on a web page, that it might be in the 1961 RCA Radio Course, but I haven't been able to find that either. Maybe someone has one or knows of a source? Thanks, 73. Bill NT9K..
Back to top Go down
copain

PostSubject: RCA RF Signal Generator   2012-01-05, 2:26 pm

Cliff--I have the manual for the model WR-49B, which surely is very similar to the 49A you found. If you would like a copy of it, E-mail me a mailing address.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2012-01-05, 3:58 pm

sent Email but it said I couldn't send anymore at this time so I don't know if you got it so I will send you a pm with email address too.

Opps!
Sent USPS Address also today by Email 01-06-2012

Last edited by Cliff Jones on 2012-01-06, 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update home address)
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2012-01-19, 2:46 pm

I Did receive your mailed hard-copy, but a guest sent PM asking if I got a attachment or hard-copy. Just to jog my memory I did receive it again sorry for not posting this. Thank you!

PostSubject: Need a manual for RCA WR-49B Signal Generator   2012-04-03, 12:47 pm

Does anyone have a copy of the manual for a WR-49B Signal Generator they can e-mail me? Any help would be much appreciated? My email address is ecpilot at charter.net
Thanks, Eric W2EJC
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2012-04-03, 3:17 pm

I will try and copy to PDF and forward, it's now 3:15 so it may take an hour or so to copy and compile. When I finish I will send by EMail. If every thing works OK and Murphy's Law is sleeping. LOL

PostSubject: Thanks   2012-04-03, 4:18 pm

Thanks Cliff it is really appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2012-04-04, 12:00 am

Look in your Email. Sleep Big File(s) study I had to send several Emails because my server wont allow huge files.

PostSubject: Many Thanks!   2012-04-04, 4:13 am

Wow Cliff! Thanks so much for the huge amount of work to satisfy my request. All files came through just fine and this is exactly what I needed! Thank you also for the user name work which appears to be fine. Many thanks again, Eric
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2012-04-05, 12:37 am

Glad to Help, thats what this forum is all about. Pssst Keeps me out of trouble too. pirat

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2012-05-09, 10:07 pm

I know your post is over 4 months old but Your RCA generator as a kit has no model number so the only thing is the schematic which you say you found.

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2012-05-10, 2:35 am

I found a person who said they had the training courses that include the manual for my signal generator, but still haven't got a copy. He was working on making the entire course downloadable for free, but I don't think he ever finished. So, I'm still looking for the manual.

Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Picked up a Sig gen from EBay   2012-05-20, 8:49 am

Subject: Audio Generator questions
Paid $56.00 which included shipping
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Subject: Found on EBay   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Fri 4 May 2012 - 23:27[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A Philips/Fluke PM5135 Function Generator.
I am in need of an English Manual for it, does anyone have a copy?
Generator sold for $34.99 plus Shipping and Handling $21.62 = Total $56.61
Nice look from what I can tell, will know more when it arrives. I tried fluke but no luck on manual. It looks to be a 1993 production.
Function generator is easy to use

The PM 5135 is a low-cost, easy-to-use function generator. Frequency is
selected by setting front-panel pushbuttons and a large logarithmic dial
and vernier control. Also easily selected by pushbuttons are the standard
sine, triangle, and square waveforms. Duty cycle is a standard 50%. Dc
offset can be added, if needed, with a <+/->10-V range. Offset dc voltage
can also be produced without any ac component. The PM 5135's sweeps can
be single or continuous, with a logarithmic characteristic and a
continuously variable sweep ratio from 1 to 2,000. The sweep range is 3.5
decades, and sweep period is continuously adjustable from 10 to 150 s.
Triggering can be set internally manually, via or from an external source.
The PM 5135's output is short-circuit-proof.

The picture attached isn't the best quality but gives you an Idea anyway.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is my first modern Signal generator, so I am unfamiliar with its different uses and functions, so any advice and suggestions would be appreciated as to uses. I cannot find a users manual, and I have really looked. I found one in Spanish,( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) and I found a previous model which is very close. but nothing that describes each button and functional use.

The front panel from left to right :
frequency/sweep start   dial
determines output freq. or start freq. if you want to use it as a sweep generator

frequency Hz  push buttons multiplies the dial by xfactor ,lo end 100th of a second ,hi end 10khz times main dail marking

x0.01_x1_x100_10khz

sweep buttons with one indicator light:
On - allows sweep  mode
Cont internal osc- runs all the time
Trig internal osc- started by external trigger source,

Waveform  buttons:  sine_triangle_square_DC voltage that follows the freq. of the main osc

Attenuation   buttons -all out no attenuation of the osc. output
10dB_20dB_30dB

Power Light

Bottom row consists of knobs and one bnc jack
Frequency Offset-pos or neg limits of sweep  -20%   to  +20%
Sweep Stop   (I think this interacts with sweep time. )   01 to 200
Sweep Time       1s to 150s
DC Offset          - 10v to +10v
Amplitude     3v pp to 30v pp

Output BNC Jack  Zo50 Ohms symbol on the side of the jack is an upside down capital letter T

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back panel has 4 BNC Jacks
What are the purpose of these inputs?  
Inputs:
External input
Sweep  usually a triangle waveform that sets the start freq and stop freq of the sweep
Trigger input pulse that locks the internal osc to an outside source
----------------------------
Outputs :
Sweep internally generated ramp wave form that follows the sweep set up
TTL 0v to 5v logic level of internal osc waveform.
-----------------

Each jack also has the upside down letter T. It means that all ground connections are tied internally together

Last edited by Cliff Jones on 2014-11-02, 12:43 pm; edited 10 times in total (Reason for editing : symbol clarification)
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2013-05-24, 2:05 am

I now have a SG 85/URM-25B.

Paid $60 for it. cheers
Has a few connectors that are needed. Sad
Minor inconvenience.

PostSubject: RF Generator repair   2013-10-09, 8:57 pm

I have had this Generator for about 20 years. It is an ECI 40500. Never used it, but knew I had it for some day projects.

Went to check it out finally only to find it did not put out RF, although it does put out sine and square wave. Clean inside with no nube fiddlings. 2 boards in it. One for the generators and one for the overload protection circuit. Looks to be capable of internal modulation and external modulation.

Checking into it further I have discovered it is showing an overload LED constant on although it is for certain not in full overload. The partial overload board schematic is attached (anyone have an electronic copy?). I've reverse engineered this much into cad and hope it is accurate. This appears to be an astable flasher for the LED and the transistor appears to turn it on. The relay is on which it should be without a true overload. The Triacs(one shown, others in parallel) basically short out the power to the relay coil in a true overload. I find nothing going to the gates of the triacs. Any one of the 4 of them react to overloads on any of the sine, square, RF or external modulation signals.

One question is there is a slight imbalance between the 15v sources. One at -19.08 and the other at +17.18. I suspect this could contribute to the LED being on although not flashing via the timer circuit. The IC only has 3.5v between pins 1 and 8. I find 4.5 is typically minimum. The slight imbalance may be due to something loading the + supply side on the main board RF Generator circuitry.

I don't have a bench lab supply I could use to test it further in balance. Since it is not really in overload....I could carry on with the main board troubles and see if this LED issue resolves itself presuming the balance returns as if that has anything to do with the LED.

Any thoughts, guidance or advice would be appreciated. It's more about the challenge than its worth.

Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2013-10-09, 10:57 pm

Will send you an Email on problem.
If the trip point is set to sensitive then this may be a consideration, and it also mentions Q22 as a fault for lack of RF.

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2013-10-10, 4:16 pm

Thanks Cliff. Any info at this point would be helpful.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2013-10-11, 12:22 am

I haven't used my set yet, However I did hook it up to a scope and got some flakey signals. So I have determined it has to do with most of the switches needing cleaning. AH another project. Mine has the RF-Audio section, FET multimeter and Variac with AC-DC adjustable Power source and speaker for testing radios. lots of Power plugs in the front bottom and master switch with breaker.

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2013-10-11, 7:07 pm

It's been so long I can't even remember how I picked these up for nothing around the early-mid 198X's. I do have the FET Meter with the RF/SINE/SQUARE wave generator. I also have a seperate unit with a 0-25vdc power supply I have been using often over the 20 years for misc. projects. Not sure what was in along with that supply originally. Very handy empty space  for my leads and catch all though! A supply with both AC/DC would be great too. One of these days....a decent lab bench supply will find its way home.

I have an old tube type Knight RF generator My Dad or Uncle built from the early 50's. Not sure if it works either. I almost fear turning it on if the spiders decide to run. affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2013-10-11, 8:41 pm

Don't forget that bad electrolytics can cause this too, especially in older equipment.
Check your filters for ripple and any electro in it for ESR. and value
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2013-10-12, 10:11 pm

I will see about that change FrankB, Thanks!

My power supply section is an all in one faceplate, it has 2 separate adjustable DC outputs.
They both have 2 ranges 0-10vdc and 10-25vdc 1-amp.

There is a 3rd bigger knob voltage adjust 0-300vdc 100-ma. push button selected.
It also adjusts an AC output 0-130 vac. 1.75amps
One power switch for the entire console rack with power led indicator.
It also has a power strip for 115V ac (2 plugs) + power switch and indicator with circuit breaker and Speaker jacks 8 ohms with rear mounted internal speaker.

Note there are 5 of them on Ebay for 5 days. $38.40 + $35.00 shipping looks like a good deal IMHO.
---> [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2013-10-12, 11:49 pm

I keep looking at the ESR meters. There was a kit I had my eye on, but never pulled the trigger on it. At the time I was working on some micro-controller projects and using 1-2F supercaps and luck of the draw with high ESR in a few. 30ohms would eat up its own voltage and starve the circuit it was intended to hold up at power loss.

Progress update: The overload circuit seems to work as intended. I did find the 2N5810 transistor bad. It would not switch on to pull the ground low enough to start the astable oscillator circuit blinking. However it does still keep the LED on stable. I am starting to wonder if this is a power on/off/overload on flash dual purpose indicator.

I can simulate an overload by shorting across the A1-A2 terminals of the triacs. The relay drops out and the light flashes as long as it is in simulated overload. Remove the short and the LED comes back on steady. This suggests the 555 timer chip is fine and the caps are functional. However the circuit never really shuts down and can be monitored on the O-Scope oscillating just under making the LED blink. Still trying to figure out if the transistor is not quite in cut-off or if other components keep the 555 supply pins with enough differential to run. I was thinking about increasing the 330 resistor on the transistor collector pin or the 390 between +15 and pin 8. This in an effort to get the LED and timer chip to shut down unless a real overload occurs.

Back to top Go down
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2013-10-13, 12:25 pm

I would suggest the Capacitor Wizard as the best out there for an ESR meter. Also be sure to buy the overload protection kit.

IIRC I got mine from Howard Electronics. GREAT folks to deal with.
The digital ones are not as handy, IMHO, and they don't come with a full schematic or repair info like the Cap Wizard does.
It was originally made by Independence Electronics, whom IIRC, the owner of died. Quality equipment too.
The only down side to it was no "on" indicator. You just have to remember to turn it off.

There was a company out there whose owners name was Lance. This company mainly deals in refurb Sencore equip and was/is in S. Dakota. He was selling the ESR meters too.
Avoid him like the plague. Non- responsive to my phone calls and emails.
I bought a refurb. Sencore LC53 from him and it failed on the
2nd component I tested, right out of the box. He ignored all my calls after teh intial ones and then finally replaced it, but I had to pay the return shipping on the defective one. What a slime.
It took over 3 months to get me a replacement, and I lost hundreds of bux, as I had many pounds of "Bumble bee" caps I had intended to list on the net for the audio fools, that I had needed to test. This was in the Xmas sales season too!.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   2013-10-17, 5:22 pm

Frank, That Capacitor Wizard looks like a nice tool. A bit out of my league for very part time hobby stuff, but I'll keep an eye out for one. I did see a vid on YouTube using a scope to check caps and such. Needing them out of circuit is not very convenient though.

Well, with much perseverance I finally have the overload circuit working in a manner I suspected it should. This required some slight modifications to the circuit a bit. I redrew it in cad to better reflect the intent of the design.

The principle of this circuit is primarily to flash the LED only. This is enabled when the transistor turns on hard in saturation pulling the ground side low. The LED was always on giving a false indication of an overload condition. As connected the transistor never did go into cutoff and the LED was tied to emitter not the chips common reference ground at the collector. Both issues were causing current flow through the LED although the 555 timer was not fully on. Now it works like I thought it should. I may add in green power on LED just cause I can....

With that part out of the way I can concentrate on the lack of RF output. I'll post back with those details as I progress.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   

Back to top Go down

Signal Generators
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next