ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST post you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
Any other usage, ( other than registration or Login Help) will be ignored. For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

For the "Newbie". Know what you need.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: For the "Newbie". Know what you need.   October 22nd 2016, 8:13 pm

As I managed a wholesale /retail parts store and also was in consumer servicing for a long number of years, here is a few hints when you go to buy parts. (These are actual questions and experiences I had).
Darwin Awards to these folks.

"I need an R17."  Rolling Eyes  

"I need one of these" (Hands me a piece of carbonized material that looks like it MAY have been a resistor). Rolling Eyes

"I need one of these" (Hands me a exploded diode of some sort). " What are the ratings you need? What type of diode do you need?". "I don't know. Can't you make a guess?" clown

"I found this loose in the bottom of my TV set. The TV doesn't work anymore. Where does it go?"

The oddest one was I needed to get a part for a TV set and the impatient lady didn't want to wait for 4 days for it to come in. After listening to her complain and gripe about the wait, and the fact we didn't have the part in stock at the TV repair shop, I asked " Do you expect us to carry every part for every TV ever made?"  She replied "Yes". Rolling Eyes    No 
Geez. A gold plated Darwin Award for her. Geez. Another case of Bullwinkle Syndrome. " No brain, no effect."

The moral to this is:
Know what you need when you go to get a part. The parts bloke has no idea what you need 99.9% of the time.
(The parts drones at most of the chain stores have no idea what most parts are. They go by parts numbers. "You have questions, we have blank looks".) The parts stores have to carry what sells, as they can't afford to sit on dead inventory. A lot of items just take time to get. Don't wait until the last minute to get what you need, as it may have to be ordered in.

Plan ahead for projects.
Back to top Go down
wildcat445
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: For the "Newbie". Know what you need.   May 3rd 2017, 8:54 am

Frank, if a newbie knew what they needed or could identify a part, they might not be a newbie!  We all started out needing direction occasionally.  Our purpose should be giving direction and the benefit of the doubt!  Smile
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: For the "Newbie". Know what you need.   May 7th 2017, 11:22 am

He did provide his reflections as Hints. But as Newbies they do need to ask us that they don't know specifically what they need. That's the crux of our forum, guidance and direction, with us asking for clarification when we don't understand what they want. Both of theses posts are welcome additions, Thanks to Frank and Wildcat!

PostSubject: Re: For the "Newbie". Know what you need.   March 16th 2018, 3:02 pm

I have an attic full of vacuum tubes from old shops I have owned or worked at in times past.   Where do I go to see if someone needs one?   Most........are TV tubes, then hi-fi amps, and then very old radio.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: For the "Newbie". Know what you need.   March 16th 2018, 7:26 pm

There are several forums that have sections just for selling, trading and wants. There are forums dedicated to collecting old tubes, TVs, phonographs,  boat anchor's, radios and test equipment. You could post also on Craig's list. Also Ham radio clubs. And here also in our trading Post forum. You may have a problem if they are specific to TVs.  On radio oreinted forums. But you never know. Some forums have both radio and TV collector's.

PostSubject: Re: For the "Newbie". Know what you need.   March 16th 2018, 8:40 pm

I really was not referring to a "newbie" just learning about electronics, but the DIY who... thinks... they can fix anything, a set owner that wants you to give them a part & they can "solder" the SMT part in with the oxyacetylene cutting torch and it will magically make the set work.   (But the YouTube video said that was the problem...).

Now- RE: old tubes- if you live close to Olympia, I might be interested, if there are enough usable types for what I work on.
Back to top Go down
yrbndr

PostSubject: Re: For the "Newbie". Know what you need.   March 16th 2018, 9:15 pm

Actually...........I gave the wrong statement concerning my old tubes.  I don't want to sell them, I just would like to be able to help if someone needed a specific tube or tubes I might have to help out.  It just happens that most are TV tubes, since my last ownership was a TV and Audio repair center.   I gave away all my Sams' folders, except some really old 1940's and some '50s.......Also I have some high power stuff as I was engineer for two TV broadcast stations for a few years after that.  I was there for the transition to solid state, so old tubes went out to my dumpster (my dumpster..........)  Ham radio guys would love some of them.  No, I have no PL-149s. (except for making table lamps) 
   When I started out, I thought I could fix anything.  It took several years before I gave this up.... economics caught up with me.  But I applaud the guy who wants to try.
Back to top Go down
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: For the "Newbie". Know what you need.   March 18th 2018, 9:57 pm

Just put an ad on the forum here.
List types you want to sell, Used, NOS, and the price, etc.

You are not alone in thinking you could fix anything, then reality hit- usually the first job you hit a real dog. This was especially true for me after attending the "Factory" training schools, with the "Factory" engineers.( Or ex. used car salesmen I sometimes thought).
Sadly, they usually covered the common EZ to fix problems, not the tough dogs.

(I have almost a full set of NAP/Phillips/Magnavox/Sylvania/Crosley TV / TVVCR service course tapes.
They made it look so easy. "Well, the set is dead and the power fuse blown, so it's obviously a bad bridge rectifier diode- we check it and its shorted; so replace that and the set now works"- type crap. Stuff you almost never see in real life in my area.) They never covered the dogs. The "OH FUBAR! its  cracked plastic slide traces that are molded into the chassis frame and can't be replaced. Very common fault here. The plastic rails would crack & pop up and cause the mech. to jam. A bugger to find the first couple of those.)
Back to top Go down
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: For the "Newbie". Know what you need.   March 23rd 2018, 5:11 am

I do know what you mean Frank. However, it can also be the smart ones that have a problem too. In my working days at the plant I worked at, we had a full fledged electronics technician come to our shop looking for an item that he admitted he didn't know what it was called.

Now, when it came to electronics, there was nothing this guy couldn't do. But when it came to mechanical stuff, he was out of his league. The only description he could provide is that the part was about an inch and a quarter long, and it had a hole on one end and 2 ears on the other. He also had no sample.

After about close to ten minutes of looking through our hardware catalog, he suddenly slammed his hand down on one page and said loudly, "That's what I want, right there!". The part he was looking for was a simple cotter pin. A hole on one end and 2 ears on the other. Once you see the part, it becomes quite obvious. Very Happy Very Happy It just amazed us that a chap of this guy's intelligence in electronics, didn't have a clue when it came to mechanical stuff.

I also remember one day when this same guy had to point to a part that he needed for a limit switch. It was the roller on the end of the trip mechanism that stopped a carriage at the end of its travel. All he could think of to call it was a 'wheelie thing'. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: For the "Newbie". Know what you need.   March 23rd 2018, 12:28 pm

College classes in electronics never taught the Mechanical problems just the theory.
It was fun though when we did experiments. Some fellas had No clue when it came to construction.
Others sailed right through. 

One way I learned was at the Long Beach Naval shipyard and working on equipment we had extensive Technical Manuals on each and every piece of equipment including test equipment, Transceiver's, audio PAs, Transmitters ect. with each and every part of that assembly listed in the back with the description, Manufacturer, Part Number, Federal Stock number Material composition if needed such as resistors - wire wound, carbon, film, voltage and temperature tolerance's physical dimensions and diagrams.

We had to write this all down on order forms and hand them over to a Parts desk for local supplies or Federal Supply systems Hubs. We also had the use of Microfiches if we could supply either the part number or the Federal Stock Number.

We had a Shop Store that carried Hundreds of thousands of parts, wire, adhesives, Hardware, electronic parts, mechanical Parts. Quite an Inventory, some were store within the Shipyard local supply building and even in our own shop building. One thing that really impressed me was Motorized Vidmar Storage Carousel  Cabinets, push of a couple of buttons and shelf would drop down with parts needed in that tray.

Something's just not taught in Colleges. In fact Warehousemen had to Have training  on everything supply had to offer, including record keeping, storage requirements, material handling, safety, Hazardous Materials, and delivery methods available , especially if emergency requirements were needed. Levels of Priority, Mission essential projects. And reporting defective Parts.

All with Milspec. requirements, we would also go to Manufactures when our stock was depleted, and to have other local in-house shops make custom parts within the Shipyard. We had several Machine Shops, Forge Shops, Plating shops, Welding, sheet metal shops, Wood shops, electrical and service shops. Boiler shop, Crane Shop, Auto and truck, and forklift shop. Design Engineers, Nuclear Monitoring, Tool and die makers, testing Labs for Pressure and Vacuum, Electronics and electrical, Draftsmen, Apprentice schools, Security, and the list goes on.

And some point in time the interaction between departments was crucial to learn knowledge about operations. Till the day I retired it was a learning experience. While working at TEKTRONIX they would take us on tours throughout the Manufacturing Campuses to learn about manufacturing techniques.

Never stop Learning. We Had a standing Joke " if it didn't work or fit, then it was the Dumb Engineers that had no Field experience Fault."

PostSubject: Re: For the "Newbie". Know what you need.   

Back to top Go down

For the "Newbie". Know what you need.
Page 1 of 1