Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Share | 

For the "Newbie". Know what you need.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: For the "Newbie". Know what you need.   2016-10-22, 8:13 pm

As I managed a wholesale /retail parts store and also was in consumer servicing for a long number of years, here is a few hints when you go to buy parts. (These are actual questions and experiences I had).
Darwin Awards to these folks.

"I need an R17."  Rolling Eyes  

"I need one of these" (Hands me a piece of carbonized material that looks like it MAY have been a resistor). Rolling Eyes

"I need one of these" (Hands me a exploded diode of some sort). " What are the ratings you need? What type of diode do you need?". "I don't know. Can't you make a guess?" clown

"I found this loose in the bottom of my TV set. The TV doesn't work anymore. Where does it go?"

The oddest one was I needed to get a part for a TV set and the impatient lady didn't want to wait for 4 days for it to come in. After listening to her complain and gripe about the wait, and the fact we didn't have the part in stock at the TV repair shop, I asked " Do you expect us to carry every part for every TV ever made?"  She replied "Yes". Rolling Eyes    No 
Geez. A gold plated Darwin Award for her. Geez. Another case of Bullwinkle Syndrome. " No brain, no effect."

The moral to this is:
Know what you need when you go to get a part. The parts bloke has no idea what you need 99.9% of the time.
(The parts drones at most of the chain stores have no idea what most parts are. They go by parts numbers. "You have questions, we have blank looks".) The parts stores have to carry what sells, as they can't afford to sit on dead inventory. A lot of items just take time to get. Don't wait until the last minute to get what you need, as it may have to be ordered in.

Plan ahead for projects.
Back to top Go down
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: For the "Newbie". Know what you need.   2017-05-03, 8:54 am

Frank, if a newbie knew what they needed or could identify a part, they might not be a newbie!  We all started out needing direction occasionally.  Our purpose should be giving direction and the benefit of the doubt!  Smile
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: For the "Newbie". Know what you need.   2017-05-07, 11:22 am

He did provide his reflections as Hints. But as Newbies they do need to ask us that they don't know specifically what they need. That's the crux of our forum, guidance and direction, with us asking for clarification when we don't understand what they want. Both of theses posts are welcome additions, Thanks to Frank and Wildcat!

For the "Newbie". Know what you need.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1