ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST post you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
Any other usage, ( other than registration or Login Help) will be ignored. For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

Different types of Crystals for radios

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: Different types of Crystals for radios   November 13th 2016, 6:05 pm

I have tried numerous different xtals for use in xtal radios.
The old Galena detectors embedded in either lead, solder or Whites Metal, 1N34, 1N34A, (Some sources indicate that the newer 1N34's are not as good as the older ones), 1N21,1N60, 1N60A, (Used as video det. in some 1950's B&W TV sets) 1N270, (From an old UHF tuner), old germanium xistors that had defects - E- B  or B-C junctions used, Carborundum- (with battery), Copper ore, Galena ore, Iron Pyrite, and a few other types of metallic crystals.
  Tested on the BCB only, so far.
So far, I found the best to be the galena detectors, followed by the 1N34 & 1N60 types.

Have any of you experimented with different types of detector materials? I would like to know of your experiences.

I do know that they used Mercury detectors using a Platinum wire in a Mercury pool; but have not tried that yet. (Yes, I know the hazards of Mercury fumes. I do some prospecting also as a hobby).
 I want to try casting a Galena crystal into a copper plumbing cap with either lead or solder to hold it in place at some point also.

Last edited by FrankB on November 27th 2016, 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Different types of Crystals for radios   November 22nd 2016, 11:52 pm

I think there's a microchip that's a mosfet that Has a lower threshold of 0 volts.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: Different types of Crystals for radios   June 21st 2018, 3:09 pm

I ordered one of these to try on my Federal Jr.  Has anybody tried one of them?[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
chas
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts

PostSubject: Re: Different types of Crystals for radios   June 21st 2018, 9:22 pm

Frank,

The galena and any other metal oxide crystal should be potted in Wood's metal melts in hot water. I bought a small block of it from Small Parts y.a.

I have used Carborundum and a large round carborundum dressing stick. They both worked with a blunted point under spring pressure, no bias.

I have a few Transition hot carrier diodes they are O.K. too.

Best was a large lump of Pyrite I got from a rock show for $3. Hot all over and loud.

I usually wrap a crystal in metal foil rather than potting it. Yjen there is no risk of killing the active surface.

I have but one bit of a "Million Point Mineral" a steel Pyrite yet it is yellow color with hex facets, hot as heck too.

Bob Ryan was making a number of replica crystal sets back in the early 80's. He sent me a ground only set, worked with ground and a 4' telescoping rod and a Telefunken set.

I liked the Telefunken as it was both sensitive and loud. I would use it with a Transitron HC diode and a Dictogrand Loudspeaker. Played fine in a quiet bedroom. Left on in a thunderstorm it would wake me with static crashes long before the storm would arrive. Yep the diode and the Dictogrand survived...

I have a couple of 20's home brew sets one made from a textile bobbin, the other from a turned section of poplar to look like an apothecary jar. They are simple loading coil sets so average volume, The wooden set has a fixed 20's style crystal cartridge.

Modern Radio Labs published a list of detector minerals and where to find them. Many can found out west and in New Hampshire. They also published a mineral finders manual for "lost" New Hampshire mineral mines. I may still have my copies somewhere.

Chas
Back to top Go down
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Different types of Crystals for radios   June 22nd 2018, 6:37 pm

Thanks for the info.
I have a complete set of the MRL publications. Money well spent!
 I never thought of wrapping the xtal in foil. Great idea. Idea
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Different types of Crystals for radios   

Back to top Go down

Different types of Crystals for radios
Page 1 of 1