ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Looking for some guidance here...............

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Looking for some guidance here............... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for some guidance here...............   Looking for some guidance here............... I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2018, 5:02 pm

You are lucky. When I bought my house here the carpenter ants were so bad they were holding union meetings on my bed.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some guidance here...............   Looking for some guidance here............... I_icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2017, 11:14 am

Hi Frank, I'll keep that in mind. Right now, my vertical is gonna be near the property line, so I have to watch the ground wires I put there. I do have plans for a ground rod just outside of the radio room though.

After doing a major cleanup of damage by carpenter ants I didn't know were there, I'm now at the point of doing the wiring and then insulating it. So slowly, but surely I am getting my room going.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some guidance here...............   Looking for some guidance here............... I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2017, 11:15 pm

You might consider placing the ground rods at a partial wavelength of the frequencies you most often work. It might as as a ground and a counterpoise!
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some guidance here...............   Looking for some guidance here............... I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2017, 6:44 am

Thanks for the suggestion Frank. I did intend to have a ground rod. Though, I hadn't planned on more than one. You have me thinking now. I'm thinking the ground should be pretty decent here since I live right across the street from the Gulf of Maine almost where it meets the Bay of Fundy. I have a feeling the ground may be a tad salty.

Cliff, my antenna is a Cushcraft AV-5 vertical antenna. I do plan on having wire antennas for listening only that I plan on putting up in the very large attic I have here. Though, if I can find a way to put up my Windom antenna outside, I am definitely gonna do that. It's was my main ham antenna for quite a while when I was on the air last.

I have a check coming in at the end of the month with some retroactive money in it. That's gonna allow me to finish the radio room enough for me to get in and use it. I'm starting to get anxious now that I know it's gonna happen. I miss playing radio, It's been so long now.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some guidance here...............   Looking for some guidance here............... I_icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2017, 10:11 am

Gold Plate them ground rods, solves that issue LOL.

Or use a counterpoise dipole antennae, or a center fed long wire. as one end acts as the ground.

FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some guidance here...............   Looking for some guidance here............... I_icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2017, 1:33 am

I forgot to mention, put in more than 1 ground rod, 6' or longer.
Electrolysis can eat them up, depending on your soil. 
I put in 3, and one was a 3' pencil point when I pulled it out for a remodel. originally it was 6'!
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some guidance here...............   Looking for some guidance here............... I_icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2017, 5:41 pm

Thanks guys! Been a slight delay in getting the room done, but I plan on getting back to it by the end of this month. I've had so many delays in doing this that on a couple of occasions, I almost said the hell with it. But, after hitting the forums, that urge goes away.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some guidance here...............   Looking for some guidance here............... I_icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2017, 6:38 pm

I agree with Cliff, likely no problems.
if you want, you can put a "Dim Bulb" tester in the power circuit for added insurance.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some guidance here...............   Looking for some guidance here............... I_icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2016, 10:31 pm

Just to be safe, send all to me for testing. drunken
I don't think you would have a problem, if their solid state.
As long as they are fused.
I hadn't plugged in my  YAESU - FRG 100. for almost 3 years, found my wall-wart power supply and it fired right up. Surprising the clock still was close to correct time. Just replaced the CMOS button battery, and reset the clock. I am a happy camper. Now where can I get a long-wire, poles and insulators.

ve1arn

PostSubject: Looking for some guidance here...............   Looking for some guidance here............... I_icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2016, 5:08 pm

Hi all,

I'm gonna be getting a radio room set up here in the near future. Right now, I have 2 Kenwood R-5000's, my HF rig, the Kenwood TS-820S, as well as a couple of other communications receivers. These radios have not been turned on for a few years now and I'm wondering if there are any precautions I should take when turning them back on for the first time? Or, do I really need to worry about this? The last year and a half they were inside, but not in a temperature controlled room.

Any guidance will be appreciated. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some guidance here...............   Looking for some guidance here............... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for some guidance here...............
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: Shortwave and Amateur Radio :: Amateur Radio-
Jump to: