ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Philco Hippo

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

Philco  Hippo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philco Hippo   Philco  Hippo I_icon_minitimeMay 13th 2017, 8:14 pm

I looked in my stash for the knob you need.  I don't have that one.  Sorry.

Visit us at "classichificare.com"
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Philco  Hippo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philco Hippo   Philco  Hippo I_icon_minitimeMay 12th 2017, 10:49 pm

Well I opened it up and it is very clean, has aluminum chassis, and surprised that it has a 3 gang tuning cap. So it has an R.F. amplifier. It has one of the knobs glued togather and reinforced with copper wire.
Other than that looks pristeen. Now to gather new caps. No burned parts, but some extra wax from caps.
Hopefully no alignment will be needed, but rest assured I will tweak the R.F.-I.F. CHAIN.

There is an rca audio phono jack, and instructions say to use a scope on that connection for alignment.
The dial glass is plastic, and the dial light sets into a curved slot, and the plastic acts like a light conduit,
When I get the radio operational, I'll be one happy person.

Technician
Technician
wildcat445

Philco  Hippo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philco Hippo   Philco  Hippo I_icon_minitimeMay 12th 2017, 7:06 pm

It is a handsome radio, even if it isn't a Magnavox.  I have a Magnavox AM-FM clock radio that is not all that hot.  Cheaply made particleboard cabinet, PCB, mediocre performer.  Made in Japan.  You might be better off with the RCA.

Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Philco  Hippo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philco Hippo   Philco  Hippo I_icon_minitimeMay 11th 2017, 11:36 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I couldn't get it, as I made the mistake of calling it a Magnavox. 

But it Looks so puurty, and the price was horrendously High $45.  The dial had been removed and set back in or the dial clamp is broken so the pointer drags across the dial. It an RCA Victor with the famous 4" Golden throat. 6 tubes, Model 9-X-641.

EERRRRRRR  Embarassed I wouldn't Help myself. I bought it jocolor

Technician
Technician
wildcat445

Philco  Hippo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philco Hippo   Philco  Hippo I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2017, 8:49 pm

Magnavox table radios of the era of the Hippo are not plentiful.  In fact Magnavox table radios of any era are not plentiful.  Magnavox specialized in console radio/record player combos, both mono and stereo.  If it is nice and is complete, I'd grab it for that money.

Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Philco  Hippo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philco Hippo   Philco  Hippo I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2017, 7:15 pm

There's a Magnavox setting in a store for $30, but darn if I'm going to pay that price. It's Bakelite brown like yours however, I may breakdown. I believe the Hippo is a desirable collector item.

Technician
Technician
wildcat445

Philco  Hippo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philco Hippo   Philco  Hippo I_icon_minitimeMay 5th 2017, 8:38 pm

I have long admired those sets, never actually owned one.  They are hard to find in that good of condition.  Nice radio!

Back to top Go down
Dan Walker
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

Philco  Hippo Empty
PostSubject: Philco Hippo   Philco  Hippo I_icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2017, 6:58 pm

I bought this radio a few days ago for $20.00. I recapped it , cleaned the cabinet and waxed it.
it has very good clear sound and looks very nice. In fact it is the best Hippo I have owned

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Philco  Hippo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philco Hippo   Philco  Hippo I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Philco Hippo
Page 1 of 1