ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Lots of broken radios

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

Lots of broken radios Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lots of broken radios   Lots of broken radios I_icon_minitimeMay 25th 2017, 6:40 am

I worked for a man who was a prisoner of war in WW2.  Apparently his captors were superstitious about being extra mean to someone who was mentally ill.  They believed that if you tortured a mentally ill person, mental illness would come back to haunt your family.  His "job" if you will, was to watch over a small herd of goats.  He sneaked some raisins out of the mess hall and put them in the goat pen.  When his "overseers" came around, he picked up the raisins and ate them.  He maintained that this is all that kept him out of the gas chamber.  He was an Air Force lieutenant who had been shot down during the war.  Captured officers received worse treatment than enlisted men.  He had the ability to ruffle his hair up and look scary, like he was really off his trolley.  He was a dairy farmer and a song leader in our church and was one of the most decent men I ever met.  He and his wife could not have children due to the treatment he received while he was a POW.  I did not know until I attended his funeral that he was a multi-national decorated war hero.  Apparently, he was involved in the "underground" and saved countless lives.  Since he had been judged by his captors as being mentally ill, they left him alone to wander and fend for himself.

Visit us at "classichificare.com"
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Lots of broken radios   Lots of broken radios I_icon_minitimeMay 24th 2017, 4:31 pm

If you really want to have "fun" get some of the long chocolate topping pieces and sprinkle a few on the counter. When she freaks out about the "mouse droppings", pick them up and go "mmmm", good!"
LMSAO
(And yes, I AM evil).
Back to top Go down
wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Lots of broken radios   Lots of broken radios I_icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2017, 5:58 pm

We don't actually HAVE critters, the wife just wants me to make sure we don't have critters!

Being on critter patrol with my radio collection is just part of the routine.  Something I do to keep the peace.

Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Lots of broken radios   Lots of broken radios I_icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2017, 3:06 pm

Note:
One can often find Spider traps at the hardware store. Jillian had to have a couple in her room, as she hated them. Last ones I found were at a dollar type store. Try your local Co-op farm store or Cenex.
Back to top Go down
wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Lots of broken radios   Lots of broken radios I_icon_minitimeMay 12th 2017, 6:36 am

My long-suffering wife has but two requests.  Radios have to work, and can not house critters of any kind.  So each spring, I get them down from their resting places and pull the back, dust them out well and check for critters.  There is not room in the house for my wife and a spider.  I typically pull the chassis and check real well for critters and dust.  Then I plug them in and see how well they work.  I had twelve on at the same time the other day.  I fix little things like dial lights and dirty volume controls mostly.  The Magnavox stuff will have a dirty speaker switch or function switch.  I have over 250 items, so if even 10% needs some kind of tinkering, that takes awhile.  Threatening and cussing both prove futile, but I never fail to give that a try.....

Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Lots of broken radios   Lots of broken radios I_icon_minitimeMay 11th 2017, 9:14 pm

Yeah, I know the sitting thing. With my back I forget to get up and take breaks, as I have been working over my stamp collection for the stamp show tomorrow.
Finally had to quit, as my eyes were crossing. lol
 Well, have you tried threatening them with either a neon sign transformer or a trip hammer? (Or maybe the neighborhoods most destructive little monster?)
Back to top Go down
wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Lots of broken radios   Lots of broken radios I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2017, 8:45 pm

Actually, Frank, you're not too far afield in your thinking!

These are working radios (usually) that get crabby on occasion and need some TLC.  I can't seem to get any of my project sets worked on for working on sets that I thought I already got working.  Some of my language and perhaps my approach might be less than optimal at times.  Nothing serious, just aggravating.  Sitting for extended periods is not the best plan either.

Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Lots of broken radios   Lots of broken radios I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2017, 6:43 pm

Mentally picturing Wildcat standing with a whip yelling" OK radios, move those lazy electrons" Snap! Laughing
Back to top Go down
wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Lots of broken radios   Lots of broken radios I_icon_minitimeMay 3rd 2017, 3:24 pm

My radios set all winter without being used.  I go thru them all in the spring looking for dead critters.  And live ones!  Invariably, there will be several that need a little tweaking.  Dirty controls, mumbly speakers, dial light bulbs that won't work, stuff like that.  The most serious malady so far has been an open antenna coil.  Fortunately, I had a junker set with a good coil.  It seems I am never done repairing radios.  If I don't have any "new" ones to fix, I can usually find something wrong with one I have already fixed at least once.  I try to exercise my radios on a regular basis, but after you get as many as I've got, that is not always easy.  Sitting on a shelf is not good for a radio.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lots of broken radios   Lots of broken radios I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lots of broken radios
Page 1 of 1