Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Junking out radio/TV /phono consoles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: Junking out radio/TV /phono consoles   2017-05-10, 7:21 pm

Years ago, one could pick up radio/phone TV consoles for hauling them off, or just a few bux.
 Now I always looked for the tube types, and the older solid state ones. They took up a lot of space, were heavy and miserable to move.
 So I started scrapping them out. I would save the radio & T/T, speakers, & junk the TV for parts & scrap metal. 

Then I got the bright idea:

Why not either save the motor board for the turntable, or make a good cardboard template of it?
I used to do many, many turntable "Transplants" for folks when parts became scarce for the T/T's.
 Having the original motor board or a good cardboard template to cut the existing motor board in the set to match the T/T I was installing was fantastic. It cut the job time to about 15 minutes for the "transplant". (I had a stock of "rebuilt T/T's on hand back then)
 So it's worthwhile to save the  templates if you are restoring or upgrading a set. 
 Most of the same mfg's used the same series T/T in their consoles, so it was fairly easy to make a template that fit a series. IE: Collaro/ Magnavox, BSR, Zenith/VM, Motorola, RCA, etc.

Historical  Note:
For those of you who don't know it: the parts dist. used to sell replacement T/T and they came with a motor board template, or in a few cases, a motor board(!) in the box. I installed dozens of them, as it was most often cheaper for the customer to buy the replacement T/T, than to pay for a refurbishment of their old T/T. (Typically these were lower end BSR's.)
They worked fine and it was a quick and economical fix for the customer. ( Xmas was the busy season for this, especially 1 week before Xmas. They all needed it done before Xmas., of course. Plan ahead? Shocked )
Back to top Go down
chas

PostSubject: Re: Junking out radio/TV /phono consoles   2017-05-13, 8:51 am

Salvaging the phono motor board is a good idea. Certainly saves the pain of design and fabrication when attempting to retrofit the matching changer.

Since radio is my hobby and not a Biz, like most any collector one get offered sets that are beyond repair when consideration is given to rarity and the extent of the deterioration.

I save a lot of the cabinet hardware and wooden sub components. Such as, all the un-plated, slotted wood screws. Plain or black oxide/blued wood screws are long into history. So when screws are needed f or cabinet repair, would a China bright plated Phillips wood screw be right?

I also save things like glue blocks and cabinet sides/tops with large expanses of veneer.

GL

Chas
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Junking out radio/TV /phono consoles   2017-05-13, 11:00 am

For Newbies reading this T/T = Turntable.
I only have one newer tube console that has a record player built in, it's a Voice of Music. It has a separate tuner and audio amplifier. It's been sitting in the garage for over 20 years collecting dust.
All the other turntables are for Shelf component systems.
One unit has special isolation feet, but one is missing. Oh well.

PostSubject: Re: Junking out radio/TV /phono consoles   2017-05-15, 8:31 pm

You don't happen to have an all-tube Magnavox stereo Theater laying around, would you, Frank?  I'm on the hunt for one.  I can give model numbers if you'd like.

PostSubject: Re: Junking out radio/TV /phono consoles   2017-05-15, 8:37 pm

If I get a junker radio I keep just about everything that I may need in another radio. Volume and tone controls,  nuts and bolts,  dials, rubber feet, grommets screws, tubes, tube sockets, cloth covered wire,
 and anything else I think I might need.
 Many times I have used these parts for another radio.
 Dan in Calgary
Back to top Go down
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Junking out radio/TV /phono consoles   2017-05-22, 3:03 pm

Wildcat,
No, I do not. Sorry.
I scrapped out all the console stereos years back, due to space limitations.
Back to top Go down
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Junking out radio/TV /phono consoles   2017-05-22, 5:56 pm

Thanks, Frank.  I'm in the market, so if you run across one, I'd appreciate a heads up.

PostSubject: Re: Junking out radio/TV /phono consoles   2017-05-24, 4:32 pm

Will do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Junking out radio/TV /phono consoles   

Back to top Go down

Junking out radio/TV /phono consoles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1