Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Radio & TV History- Lets get Creative!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: Radio & TV History- Lets get Creative!   2017-05-22, 3:55 pm

A few years back I acquired literally, thousands of OEM service manuals.
Many of them came in OEM binders that were getting "ratty" and falling apart. Many had broken 3 ring mechanisms too.

To me, since most  of the original companies were long gone, it seemed a shame just to throw out the damaged binders. Hey, its history. (Besides I am a pack rat).

After cogitating on it for a while, I happened to look up and see a diploma from one of the factory service courses I had taken years back.
  It hit me just then "Why not just save the cover vinyl and frame that?". Shocked

So I am still in the process of cleaning off decades of "gunk" & framing them up. (Dollar Tree -tm- has frames for a buck each, & you need to use the size bigger than 8-1/2 x 11 size).
 So I bought a huge pile- (well, I cleaned them out, actually) of frames and went to work with a sharp pair of scissors, a craft knife, and a pair of pliers.

Now I have a good start on my collection of companies covers/ logos to decorate my new workshop area when its done.
One of my favorite covers is of a distributor's brands including "Lear 8 TK Players"!   Talk about ancient!

The next thing to do with the damaged binders was to slit the remaining vinyl and pull out the cardboard sheets.
 They are useful for crafts or easy to recycle in the paper bins. The vinyl went into the garbage and the 3 ring mechanism went into the metal scrap trailer. That saved me a LOT in dump fees. Empty binders are heavy in quantity and eat up a large amount of space.
Back to top Go down

Radio & TV History- Lets get Creative!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1