ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wildcat445

PostSubject: Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?   2017-06-04, 7:56 pm

I bought an old abused, abandoned Club Car golf cart at an auction in 2009.  Quite possibly the ugliest 1986 golf cart in existence.  It had been rolled down an embankment that nearly destroyed it.  There was a guy bidding on it for whom I had a particular dislike.  I was running the guy up and he bailed, leaving me stuck with a junk $300 golf cart.  This may have been the second best $300 I ever spent.

I hauled this old thing home with my wife reminding me constantly what a rube I was to get stuck running up a bid.  She was right, of course, but, knowing me, I felt I could "fix" it.  I knew zipkus about a golf cart.  After I got it home, I figured how to get it to go and it went.  It actually moved under its own power.  I hooked up the charger and in the morning, I found it actually ran quite well.  It looked bad, and the intervening years did not improve matters  The only thing I have done to it is to replace one wheel bearing and put in a new set of batteries. 

I am doing a ground up, frame off restoration on a $300 golf cart.  I will have almost $3000 into it when I get done.  I am converting it for street legal use.  I totally rewired it.  I tuned up the motor, even though it probably needs rebuilt.  This is a 36-volt electric model.  I like it because it runs quiet and the wife can sneak up on the deer.  I am making my own bumpers and trim.  I won't reveal the color scheme until I get that done.  Those plans may change depending upon cost.  I had to rebuild the battery boxes due to unseen corrosion.  Every part that can be taken off has been cleaned, painted, detailed, fixed or replaced.  The only things that did not need anything done to them were the brakes.  For some odd reason, they were still good.  A friend of mine repaired all the broken fiberglass.  This is one of those "fast" projects that takes all summer!

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?   2017-06-05, 8:23 am

I worked in Huntington Beach, with a close friend at a gas station downtown, called Les's Service Station, He had golf carts for sale and repairs, in that town. In Long Beach, golf carts were used downtown for elderly and disable persons to do shopping. Long Beach even designed the street corners to have ramps instead of curbs because, back in the day it was considered a retirement community.

My friend would setup new and old carts for sale. The new ones could actually spin the tires. I did replace Mercury filled diodes on the Chargers, yup 36 volts. The rectifiers were called tungar bulbs. Some even had two bulbs. The batteries were huge.

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?   2017-06-06, 4:10 pm

I'm not sure I want to go into the golf cart repairing business just yet.  I have learned a lot and it has been a rewarding project up to this point.

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?   2017-06-09, 8:29 pm

I've never owned one.  There used to be parts all over the countryside for them near the Indiana Michigan border when I lived there 25 years ago.  Burden sales also had all kinds of parts for them.  they all have pretty well dried up that I know of.  I wonder if some of the charging equipment for forklifts could work with them?

wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?   2017-06-10, 6:11 pm

Industrial charging equipment for 36 volts should work okay if the connections are the same.

Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1