ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
wildcat445

PostSubject: Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?   2017-06-04, 7:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

I bought an old abused, abandoned Club Car golf cart at an auction in 2009.  Quite possibly the ugliest 1986 golf cart in existence.  It had been rolled down an embankment that nearly destroyed it.  There was a guy bidding on it for whom I had a particular dislike.  I was running the guy up and he bailed, leaving me stuck with a junk $300 golf cart.  This may have been the second best $300 I ever spent.

I hauled this old thing home with my wife reminding me constantly what a rube I was to get stuck running up a bid.  She was right, of course, but, knowing me, I felt I could "fix" it.  I knew zipkus about a golf cart.  After I got it home, I figured how to get it to go and it went.  It actually moved under its own power.  I hooked up the charger and in the morning, I found it actually ran quite well.  It looked bad, and the intervening years did not improve matters  The only thing I have done to it is to replace one wheel bearing and put in a new set of batteries. 

I am doing a ground up, frame off restoration on a $300 golf cart.  I will have almost $3000 into it when I get done.  I am converting it for street legal use.  I totally rewired it.  I tuned up the motor, even though it probably needs rebuilt.  This is a 36-volt electric model.  I like it because it runs quiet and the wife can sneak up on the deer.  I am making my own bumpers and trim.  I won't reveal the color scheme until I get that done.  Those plans may change depending upon cost.  I had to rebuild the battery boxes due to unseen corrosion.  Every part that can be taken off has been cleaned, painted, detailed, fixed or replaced.  The only things that did not need anything done to them were the brakes.  For some odd reason, they were still good.  A friend of mine repaired all the broken fiberglass.  This is one of those "fast" projects that takes all summer!

AuthorMessage
MEZLAW

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?   2017-07-30, 5:09 am

The best remedy for corrosion I have found is vigilance.

I couldn't agree more!  Smile

Now I'm getting interested in getting a golf cart!  cheers
Back to top Go down
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?   2017-07-30, 5:21 pm

Vaseline, huh?  Thanks, Cliff, I'll give that a try!

MEZ, I have had a ball (when I was not pulling my hair out) working on our old golf cart.  This started out as a "no big deal, honey" project and has turned into a frame-off, every nut and bolt restoration, exactly what I told the wife it would NOT be.  I have used and abused the thing since it is handy as a pocket in your shirt.  I pull my yard cart with it.  I haul all kinds of lawn debris.  It runs cheaper than my garden tractor.  I did not want it so nice I was afraid to use it.  I'm still gonna use it as a utility runner, but its abuse days are over.  The local law is coming down on golf carts and ATV's unlicensed, no safety equipment and driven by less than a licensed driver.  So I added headlamps, tail lamps, stop lights, turn signals, hazard flashers, seat belts, mirrors and DOT approved reflectors.  Technically street legal.  There is no such thing as a street legal golf cart in Missouri, I have recently learned.

My golf cart may be driven by a licensed driver (me) on Missouri roads with a posted speed limit of 35 mph or less.  It is considered a "low speed vehicle" if it will run 25 mph or less.  Over 25 MPH it would be considered a "motor vehicle" subject to inspection, registration and insurance laws.  (Although our newly-elected sheriff denies it, THIS is the part that has the cops in a tither).  NHS tires are correct for my old buggy since it runs less than 25 MPH.  To make a long story short, my adaptation of this old buggy with "approved safety equipment", per DOT specification will allow me to operate it on the roads in our complex without fear of the cops.  The people around here who are ignoring the warnings we have been given are doing so at their peril.  The day is coming.  A couple kids got hurt on a golf cart this past weekend.

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?   2017-08-04, 6:55 am

Tires and wheels are on.  I had to abandon the aluminum trim project.  The welding shop that was working on it got behind on their "real" work and put my project on the back burner, understandably.  So that will wait until spring.  They have all winter to do it.  I will put the original bumpers and rubber trim back on and get this buggy back on the road.  The material they put on the seats clashed with the "Plum crazy" metal flake, so that had to be done again.  I was adjusting a brake switch when it fell apart in my hand.  They sent me a new one, no charge.  Apparently they got a bad batch.  The switch I broke was not making good contact with the brake lever.  I finally fixed it by putting a small hose clamp on the thingy that pushes up to open the switch.  This gives more contact surface and makes the switch work more reliably.

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?   2017-08-04, 7:34 am

I would keep copies of all the receipts for the road safety items in a envelope and keep it with the cart in the event any LEO's decide to err on the side of caution and try to sideline it.  Just having it should demonstrate your compliance and your willingness to do so.

wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?   2017-08-11, 7:50 am

I am waiting on the seats to come back.  How long does it take to upholstery a golf cart seat, for pity's sake? 

I have ONE mirror on, NAPA did not have TWO.  The other will be here Saturday morning.  I am ready to go "buggying" when I get the silly seats.  I have a few little mop-up things to do, but what I need to ride is done.

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?   2017-08-11, 8:12 am

You could have even done it yourself,  Here's how.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?   2017-08-11, 9:11 pm

My wife was in charge of upholstery.  That is a long story.  Wife helping, happy wife, happy life, yadda, yadda.  She did not like the first job, took the seats back.  Made the guy do it over and "do it right this time."  He is taking his old sweet time "doing it over and doing it right."  The seams were crooked to her way of seeing things.  Remember, dear, this is a GOLF CART, not a Senior Packard. 

Upholstery and body work, along with working on two-cycle engines, guitar amps and church organs are activities I refrain from participating in.  A man's gotta know his limitations.......

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?   2017-08-11, 9:46 pm

Very Happy

Does anybody have a golf cart besides me?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2