Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Share | 

A New Item For The TV

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
19&41

PostSubject: A New Item For The TV   2017-06-19, 2:51 pm

As the choices get fewer and fewer on cable, I thought I would try internet streaming.  I bought a no name device with decent reviews on Ebay and have tried it out on Youtube.  It works quite well. The downside is that it operates from a wall wart for 5VDC at 2A.  It is a cheapie weapie and I found this morning it hoses away a portion of my AM reception centering on 920 Khz.  Now to find a better filtered power supply to use with the device.  I hate it as it is trial and error.  It usually consists of hitting several thrift stores and picking likely units from the orphan basket, taking them home and giving them an audition before the Magnavox.  The quiet one then gets a connector graft.

19&41

PostSubject: Re: A New Item For The TV   2017-06-26, 12:43 pm

I hadn't had the chance to get another wall wart yet, but I have used the streaming device and watched several programs on YouTube. I think this is going to be pretty nice.

Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: A New Item For The TV   2017-06-26, 3:44 pm

Look for unusually heavy wall warts, the analog type. Another type is a hefty wall to USB, I have one of 1.5amp.s I haven't noticed any RF faraway.

PostSubject: Re: A New Item For The TV   2017-06-26, 4:26 pm

I'm sure I'll Locate something soon.

wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: A New Item For The TV   2017-06-27, 6:58 am

We have been threatening to do away with cable and fibre optics.  These things start out reasonable, but keep getting more and more expensive with time.  With phone, Internet and TV bundling, it is now nearly $200 a month, which is an insane amount of money.  Our Internet service is fast and reliable, but the cost is no commensurate with the benefit.  I've been thinking about some type of Internet connection myself, so your comments and experience are well-taken.

PostSubject: Re: A New Item For The TV   2017-07-24, 10:08 am

Got a new wall wart and it is noise free on AM and SW.  The streamer works well.  There is a trove of Inspector Morse episodes it brings up and they are of good quality.  The TV brings up the proper aspect ratio.  The only drawback is finding the programs.  One has to know what they are looking for, so that inhibits finding not yet seen material.  I would like to get good enough with this to cease using cable.

19&41

PostSubject: Re: A New Item For The TV   2017-09-02, 12:29 pm

Made another purchase for the TV.  Looked at the selection of antennae on Amazon and found a likely looking unit about3 weeks ago.  Finally got things together to put it up.  I bought a Kaput torchiere lamp at the thrift store and used a little aluminum tubing to fashion a stand for the antenna.  It has a heavy base and I just set it in the attic and aimed it toward the Atlanta skyline. Ran the line through the garage along the wall, under the house and up at the DVR/TV.  It has an amp in the head end that is powered by the amp/rotor box at the TV.  The rotor is remote controlled.  Powered everything up and I am really impressed with the results.  The cable changes the picture size and aspect ratio so the picture is never the size of the set.  The OTA signal just fills the screen at the correct aspect.  There is a tv guide channel and each station carries the programs description and its' schedule.  The only downside is that MeTV is not broadcast in the ATL.  All the stations come in clear and brilliant, compared to the cable feed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: A New Item For The TV   2017-09-03, 2:23 pm

I have never had the cable, and won't. I just rescanned my TV and was surprised that there are now 62 over the air channels. Funny that there are several duplicate numbered channels. Several shopping channels. Two PBS channels, one in Tacoma and one in Seattle, both have several subchannels. The only thing is when the antenna isn't pointed exactly right.
The screen and sound lockup or cut in and out and stutter.
But hey! no $$$$$$.

PostSubject: Re: A New Item For The TV   2017-09-03, 5:24 pm

My wife follows the Phoenix Suns, so we have to have cable to get those broadcasts.  It is cheaper than season tickets, so I guess that is one way to look at it.  If we could get Suns broadcasts in any other medium than cable, we would certainly can it and go to something else.  It works okay, but the cost is almost prohibitive anymore.

PostSubject: Re: A New Item For The TV   2017-09-04, 7:57 am

We removed Direct TV 18 months ago and have never missed it.  They have more commercials than over the air TV had when I was a youngster! Remember back in the 70's when they were pushing cable TV?  When you would ask; "why would I pay for that?" The answer would be; "Because it is commercial free!"

Netflix is working just fine for our entertainment!

I don't like over-the-air digital TV......it's either a very sharp picture or nothing at all.
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW

PostSubject: Re: A New Item For The TV   2017-09-04, 8:02 am

Cliff Jones wrote:
The only thing is when the antenna isn't pointed exactly right.
The screen and sound lockup or cut in and out and stutter.
But hey! no $$$$$$.

That seems to happen if a bird lands on it or there is a slight breeze!  I hate getting into a show only to have it disappear right off the screen! Mad
Back to top Go down
19&41

PostSubject: Re: A New Item For The TV   2017-09-04, 8:48 am

The reception here is pretty good after tweaking the direction with the rotor.  I watched PBS most of last evening.  There is no other antenna movement since it is in the attic.  This and YouTube is a good option.

19&41

PostSubject: Re: A New Item For The TV   2017-10-04, 2:41 pm

Well, I got my first subscription TV service for Acorn TV.  I has a lot of the old programs I like and it looks like a lot of new ones too.  pretty cheap too, in comparison to cable.

FrankB

PostSubject: Re: A New Item For The TV   2017-10-12, 9:04 pm

Why not use an computer power supply, and make an adapter from the 5V conn. to the device?
 A good used one likely would set you back 2-5 bux, the only drawback being its bulk. 
Some of those supplies I see are good for large output amperage.
Back to top Go down
19&41

PostSubject: Re: A New Item For The TV   2017-10-12, 9:34 pm

The little one I found has been doing just fine.  Thinking about it,  I guess the bigger ones' bulk could be offset by using it to power items from each of it's outputs.

A New Item For The TV
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1