PostSubject: Very Expensive Tubes   2017-08-10, 5:46 am

Look at the price of some of these tubes;  affraid

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Note the price of the matched, used 12AX7's!!!!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
chas

PostSubject: Re: Very Expensive Tubes   2017-08-10, 6:53 am

I'm not surprised at all...

Some consideration has to be given to the market the seller is catering to...

Buyers looking for a tube that works as intended when plugged into their device. Bragging rights to their friends. "See what I can afford",  with that comes a delivery and performance guarantee.

Consider too. The ever dwindling supply of all U.S. manufactured tube types both new and used.

Same buyers are naive to most of electronic technology and are easily misled by claims of performance, thickly lathered in metaphor.

Granted, there are some qualities that do help, however, terms such as "matching" are entirely bogus unless it is by a family of curves of the individual tube.

Consider too, how many tubes would fail a matching process, leaving just a scant few that "PASS".

Such matching is not without expense of a bench technician. Consider too the advertising costs, storage, all the other expenses that go with running a business.

Then there are the losses, "shrinkage" of the inventory, breakage, failures of the tubes. Incoming inventory is not going to be perfect, culling out the "duds" or devaluing them as a lesser grade is all a part of doing the tube biz...

I thought a lot about it myself, becoming a tube seller. But after doing my life's work and retiring, I find not having the responsibility to track the money, file the reports, pay the appropriate fees, is a blessing.

I still like finding the tubes, in the "rough", though opportunities are getting few and far between. Occasionally, a carton or two will come out of an attic, garage or cellar...

Chas
Back to top Go down
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Very Expensive Tubes   2017-08-11, 7:38 am

I have enough tubes to last me several lifetimes.  Perhaps I'm sitting on a few that would be worth something.  They will all go to the landfill after I don't need them anymore.  It is too much hassle trying to sell in the current environment.  I want nothing to do with the audiophile crowd for any amount of money.  I have even had to hear comments when I tried to give them away.  The landfill is not picky.

I put a Telefunken 12AX7 in the tuner of my Concert Grand.  That one tube may be worth more than the Concert Grand!  It is just a tube to me.  It works.

MEZ, if you need some 12AX7's let me know.  I have more than I'll ever use.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Very Expensive Tubes   2017-08-11, 12:02 pm

Something that i noticed is cryogenic tubes. What a bunch of baloney!! If that were actually scientifically proven to improve tubes, the military would have had a Federal class rating indicating there worthiness in milspecs.

Just because a seller has the latest in test equipment, it is a red herring unless they can provide traceability to Metrology standards, and provide signed authentication certification.

PostSubject: Re: Very Expensive Tubes   2017-08-13, 8:09 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I have enough tubes to last me several lifetimes.  Perhaps I'm sitting on a few that would be worth something.  They will all go to the landfill after I don't need them anymore.  It is too much hassle trying to sell in the current environment.  I want nothing to do with the audiophile crowd for any amount of money.  I have even had to hear comments when I tried to give them away.  The landfill is not picky.

I put a Telefunken 12AX7 in the tuner of my Concert Grand.  That one tube may be worth more than the Concert Grand!  It is just a tube to me.  It works.

MEZ, if you need some 12AX7's let me know.  I have more than I'll ever use.

Thanks WC, I may have to take you up on that.

chas,  I agree with much of your explanation and as a business owner, I understand market forces for a modest increase but $1698.88 for 2 used 12AX7's is just nuts!
Back to top Go down

Very Expensive Tubes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1