HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Share | 

RCA 9K3 "Funky" Volume Control

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
feldmakg

PostSubject: RCA 9K3 "Funky" Volume Control   2017-08-30, 12:38 pm

Hi,
     I just started restoring an old RCA 9K3 Tombstone Radio.   I gave the electrical chassis a good cleaning.   I'm now checking out the potentiometers, transformers and coils with an Ohm meter.   I like to get a heads up if any are bad as these take some time to track down.

Anyway, the Volume Control Potentiometer is bad.  It flunked the Ohm meter testing before and after Deoxit. I took off the cover there were lots of broken pieces inside.  

The potentiometer has 5 lugs plus a ground.   The schematic shows the potentiometer as having 3 sections, all in series. 
- 2.5 Meg Ohm
- 250K Ohm
- 250K Ohm

One "tap" goes to a resistor and Capacitor in series and then ground.
The other "tap" goes to a resistor and capacitor in series, then a Music - Speech Switch, then ground.
This reminds me of some more modern radios that use a tap as a "bass boost" when listening at low volume.

Anyway, questions:
- Does the "wiper" only "wipe" the 2.5 Meg Ohm Section, or does it "wipe" all 3 sections.
- This part looks like an "Unobtainium".  

I'm thinking of using a 2.5 Meg Audio Taper Potentiometer and two separate 250K resistors in series with the Potentiometer.  I will then install the resistors and capacitors per the schematic.  I might lose the ability to play the radio at low volumes.   If so, I can always reduce the size of the 250k resistors.   If I'm really lucky, I might find a 2.5 or 3  Meg Audio Taper Potentiometer with a tap.  Then I would hook the tap up to the resistor and Capacitor going to the Music - Voice Switch. 

Thoughts?

Ken
KB3MDT
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: RCA 9K3 "Funky" Volume Control   2017-08-30, 1:34 pm

Try ohming each tab whilst physically moving the shaft, or is that impossible?
LAY OUT the carbon path and see if there are wiper marks on both ends of the other connections that are there.

PostSubject: Re: RCA 9K3 "Funky" Volume Control   2017-08-30, 4:48 pm

Hi,
    I was able to measure all combinations 5 terminals with an ohm meter.   The measurements did not change when I turned the shaft.  The measurements are consistent with my theory that the 2.5M Segment, the first 250K segment and the second 250K segment are all in series.  

The wiper mechanism is broken.   I believe the first wiper that touches the carbon track is okay.  I believe there was a ring of thin metal just inside the bakelite housing connected to one of the lugs.   A second wiper would rub against this ring.   The gotta is that the metal ring was in small fragments throughout the entire assembly.  I may be able to use a small piece of flexible wire to emulate the second wiper and ring to take some measurements.   

Thanks.

Ken
KB3MDT
Back to top Go down
chas

PostSubject: Re: RCA 9K3 "Funky" Volume Control   2017-08-31, 1:09 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RCA 9K3 "Funky" Volume Control   

Back to top Go down

RCA 9K3 "Funky" Volume Control
View previous topic View next topic Back to top