ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

On The Shortwave

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

On The Shortwave Empty
PostSubject: Re: On The Shortwave   On The Shortwave I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2018, 4:34 pm

Yeah. I depended on it for the news of the war between Bouganville and Paua Pua (sp) on New Guinea.
I vividly remember the news commentator saying something about the war canoes and fighting.
Oh well, this like all good things must pass......
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

On The Shortwave Empty
PostSubject: Re: On The Shortwave   On The Shortwave I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2018, 3:02 pm

Australia was a great station to listen to before they pulled it's plug.  I'm glad there are at least a few stations flying their nations' flags that are left.

FrankB
FrankB

On The Shortwave Empty
PostSubject: Re: On The Shortwave   On The Shortwave I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2018, 1:53 pm

I used to listen to RNZ & radio OZ all the time.
I was planning a visit to NZ for a while & wrote them about visiting their studio, & got an invite.

When I went to NZ, they gave me a personal tour of the studio and transmitter site. I think it was the director or asst director of the whole shebang  that gave me a tour. We drove out to the site and it was impressive.
Talk about a real antenna farm!!!!!
 Likely a mile or so of antennas pointing in many directions.

Love to have had one of their spare bottles to make a linear out of.
 Bank after bank of transmitter cabinets. Talk about cool!
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

On The Shortwave Empty
PostSubject: Re: On The Shortwave   On The Shortwave I_icon_minitimeMay 8th 2018, 12:40 pm

In about late november last year I lost any reception of RNZI.  I tried it this morning between 7 and 7:30 and was just able to get it.

19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

On The Shortwave Empty
PostSubject: Re: On The Shortwave   On The Shortwave I_icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2017, 3:05 pm

I tried making a recording of Radio New Zealand this morning as it was coming in particularly strong.  I hope it works.

Voice_003

19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

On The Shortwave Empty
PostSubject: Re: On The Shortwave   On The Shortwave I_icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2017, 11:16 am

Well, it wasn't a card like in the old days, it is basically a letter with letterhead with a congratulatory message and the pertinent info about the report.  I'm still pleased About getting the station and the process.

19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

On The Shortwave Empty
PostSubject: Re: On The Shortwave   On The Shortwave I_icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2017, 1:28 pm

I'll try.

chas
Technician
Technician
chas

On The Shortwave Empty
PostSubject: Re: On The Shortwave   On The Shortwave I_icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2017, 1:25 pm

For snicks and giggles, post the card if the image format permits. Would like to see the graphic.

Chas
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

On The Shortwave Empty
PostSubject: Re: On The Shortwave   On The Shortwave I_icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2017, 11:20 am

They have just verified the QSL and I get an E card.  Ill run it off tonight after work.

19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

On The Shortwave Empty
PostSubject: Re: On The Shortwave   On The Shortwave I_icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2017, 7:29 am

I have brought it in each morning since.  Found their QSL form on their site and sent in the info.

19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

On The Shortwave Empty
PostSubject: Re: On The Shortwave   On The Shortwave I_icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2017, 9:59 am

I think I might.  I can even identify the broadcast as they played Bing Crosby, William Bendix And Sir Cedric Hardwicke singing their song from A Connecticut Yankee.

chas
Technician
Technician
chas

On The Shortwave Empty
PostSubject: Re: On The Shortwave   On The Shortwave I_icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2017, 7:36 am

Although 39 meters is a bit low, there is a propagation phenomena the follows the sunrise twilight circling the globe from the between the Artic/antartic circles. Only lasts in varying degree about 20 to 30 minutes. I used to DX on this occurrence on the 6 meter band and propagation would extend several hundreds of miles. It is similar to tropo ducting. Few recognize this so making contacts is somewhat rare. Used to work fellows in Northern Maine from the Southcoast of Massachusetts. Used a 3-element rotatable antenna.

I would think a Beverage pointed N or S depending where the QTH is may yield some results.

The recent solar flare, though the immediate action is DX disruption, often generate sporadic "E" in which the MUF moves down.

Knowing band conditions when a DX station is logged can help in prdicting when similar stations will be available.

Send the NZ station an email and see if you can get a QSL...

GL

Chas

WA1JFD
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

On The Shortwave Empty
PostSubject: On The Shortwave   On The Shortwave I_icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2017, 6:04 am

Sometimes when I wake too early, I'll troll about on the radio and this morning on 7425 Khz, I got Radio New Zealand International.  They say shortwave is dead, I think it is just not as easy as it was.  There are stations out there.

Sponsored content

On The Shortwave Empty
PostSubject: Re: On The Shortwave   On The Shortwave I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

On The Shortwave
Page 1 of 1