ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
(registration and/or Login Help ONLY) For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

PCB cracked traces

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: PCB cracked traces   March 22nd 2018, 10:42 pm

A simple way to find cracked traces much of the time, is to examine the circuit board under a black/ ultraviolet light. They will show up quite readily.

This tip was from one of the TV techs I knew.

It was not specified long or short wave ultraviolet light. I use the one for my stamp collecting which had both types in it. It was about $50.00-$60.00.
Back to top Go down
chas
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts

PostSubject: Re: PCB cracked traces   March 23rd 2018, 7:15 am

What works for me is using circuit chiller and watch the frost line. Crack gets revealed as the frost begins to melt...

Hmmm, ya, I know circuit chiller is $$...

Long ago I caught a sale FWIR was Marlin P. Jones for a "Derma Spec." lamp. It is a self contained 6" UV fluorescent lamp. Batteries and an inverter are within the case. I bought two and two extra lamps.

I use the "Derm" lamp for just about everything I suspect may fluoresce.

Ahem, cat urine, conformal circuit board coatings (some coatings have the dye, some do not), mineral specimens. Occasionally the skin, one does not want to look at one's skin under UV, awful.

It can also be used to detect epoxy and most other polymer repairs in plastics as well as spray glop on cabinets...

And "funny money"...

UV lamp is very useful as another alternate means to see faded/worn tube numbers.

If your a glass or vacuum tube collector, certain glass gives an eerie glow, for tubes it is the uranium glass seals.

Vaseline carnival glass is also spooky under UV light.

Every wonder how laundry detergent makes the colors look bright? UV dye.

I'm not sure if this is applicable, examining unfinished wood cabinets for contaminates with U.V.?

When I was working, the machine shop would evaluate iron castings with a dye, LARGE portable electromagnet and a UV light. The technique was called Magnaflux..

IMHO a small, portable U.V. light is an asset for most any shop...

I also used polarized light and Polarized filters for stress analysis and optical flatness, but that is not a crack in a circuit trace...

YMMV

Chas
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: PCB cracked traces   March 23rd 2018, 11:46 am

I bought a UV PenFlashlight at Ace Hardware. Really works

PostSubject: Re: PCB cracked traces   

Back to top Go down

PCB cracked traces
Page 1 of 1