ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
(registration and/or Login Help ONLY) For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

My way of storing electronic components...........

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ve1arn

PostSubject: My way of storing electronic components...........   March 26th 2018, 12:50 pm

With Frank posting his cross reference links, it got me to thinking of how I store the parts I do have around. What I started doing is buying up plastic storage bins with covers for each of what I wanted to store. I then made up a label to stick on the front of the bin to identify the contents.

A couple of years ago, I started learning how to use the data base software Filemaker Pro. SInce I do have a lot of parts & components laying around, I figured this would be a good way to learn the program and have something useful to me when I got the hang of it.

What I do is look up the component info in the copy of the NTE Cross Reference software I have. I then copy all the info it shows, then paste the info on self stick Avery return address labels. I put the part(s) in question in a zip lock bag, then stick the label on the bag and place it in the proper storage bin. I posted a link elsewhere on this forum where you can get the free NTE cross reference software.

The label shows the industry number, the NTE device number and what the device is. This is also the info I place into my data base. Grant it, it is a time consumer, but I figure the time is gonna go by regardless if I do this or not. It does come in handy if I need a part, that I don't have to go fishing in my bins. Before I do that, I look it up in my data base, and if I don't have that particular part, I look up the NTE cross reference number to see if I have any equivalent. The, I'll go search the bins.

In my data base, along with the info I posted above, I add an area for amount in stock, as well as if the item is new or used. I even added an area for the price of the item just to give me an idea as to the value of the part. This is just for me and really isn't necessary. I just used this as something else to help me learn the software.

This might not be everyone's way of doing it, but I like it. Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: My way of storing electronic components...........   March 26th 2018, 4:04 pm

Hadn't thought of that method. my biggest problem is I have those Akro-mils plastic storage parts cabinets and stickers don't stick worth a darn.

I will look into that copy technique. Thanks

PostSubject: Re: My way of storing electronic components...........   March 26th 2018, 4:32 pm

Cliff, I had the same issue with non stick bins. I made the labels on plain paper then stuck them inside the bin, facing out with just regular packing tape. It seems to be holding OK even after a couple of years now.
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician

PostSubject: Re: My way of storing electronic components...........   March 27th 2018, 4:57 am

Most plastics of that type have release agent covering them and if you wipe them off with a little lighter fluid (naptha), they will more easily take labels or marker ink.

FrankB

PostSubject: Re: My way of storing electronic components...........   March 27th 2018, 1:39 pm

Please keep in mind that the NTE/TCG/ECG/SK specs are NOT the specs for the OEM part you are trying to sub out.
 They are helpful for organizing, but don't trust them as "gospel" for the OEM part ratings.

As I have said before, the "Universal Replacement" parts have much wider parameters than the OEM parts.
Often they won't work at all for replacement, or marginally at times.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: My way of storing electronic components...........   March 27th 2018, 1:52 pm

Frank.... One would have to check the actual specs of that part and do a comparison with the NTE replacement, right? This is what I have been assuming, so please correct me if I'm wrong here. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: My way of storing electronic components...........   March 27th 2018, 3:28 pm

19&41 wrote:
Most plastics of that type have release agent covering them and if you wipe them off with a little lighter fluid (naptha), they will more easily take labels or marker ink.
I have two types of Drawers, one is the older Styrene Plastic, never thought of Naptha, I'm not sure I would use that on styrene but the newer ones probably works very well. What do you think?

PostSubject: Re: My way of storing electronic components...........   March 28th 2018, 8:18 pm

Yes, check the specs.
And if it's a Sony (and others) OEM xistor, be sure to note the color dot on it. That's an indicator of gain. Sorry, I can't remember the color & gain specs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My way of storing electronic components...........   

Back to top Go down

My way of storing electronic components...........
Page 1 of 1