ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
(registration and/or Login Help ONLY) For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

Hewlett Packard Calculators Manuals getting worse

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Hewlett Packard Calculators Manuals getting worse   March 27th 2018, 2:51 pm

(Edited 05-31-2018)

I have 3 Scientific HP calculators now.
1. Hewlett Packard 48G
2.  Hewlett Packard 33s
3.  Hewlett Packard 32Sii
-------------------------------
My first Calculator was an HP 25, which I gave away, I used that with some fantastic Help from a co-worker whilst working in the Communications section of Shop 67 at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard. He was very knowledgeable in Electronics and Physics Math. Just an ordinary guy with extraordinary expertise. He showed Me step by step How to Calibrate and adjust the SRC 20-21 Series of transceivers (200-499Mhz) and introduced me to Military Procedures and test equipment related to that. I would call Him a real Elmer.

He also showed me how HP calculators were superior to Algebraic Calculators by showing Calculations in both types.

Anyway, I digress.
So more to the point, as HP brought out calculators they included very detailed instructions, with programs that you could use for problem-solving.
They would set up a story about a predicament that Joe Blow had, and would elaborate then on a known calculation format. They would detail every button sequence start to finish. It was Great.
------------------------
Later in the development of newer Calculators, less and fewer examples were given to solve problems. They started with several Books and have slowly whittled those down.

In the beginning, I had little knowledge of what each key could be used for.  After advances in design and newer models, there came so many functions that it was mind-boggling. One thing that stood out in my mind was, they always had a Key layout illustration and a Keymap in an X-Y Layout. Each key was identified by a Row # and Column #. There was no way you could memorize all Key locations so that was very Helpful.

One of the best Calculators I gave away to a college student was an HP 41, you could program it with word labels such as " unknown resistor value "
and actually, make a label like " total parallel value answer". They also had modules for engineering, statistics, I found two, one was extended Memory and another was Electrical Engineering solutions.

I found Just recently because I misplaced it that on my HP 32Sii it does not have a direct Left Parenthesis Key. What the Heck? 

You would see this on one Key above it 3 different symbols. Two were left and right Parenthesis.

The main function of the Key had the letter E. Above it was the following a blue colored (  then an Orange word DISP and a Blue colored )
Now you would think Why two blue symbols? why not put one of the parentheses on another Key.
So I tried this by keying in the following Right arrow (blue shift Key then the E key) what came up on the display was a Right Parenthesis ) not the Left as expressed in the calculation. 

Wow! not right! after searching for an explanation deep inside the book under another program print out a COS key  is used for the left Parenthesis 
( I spent over two hours trying to figure that one out. )  

Manuals are less people friendly than in the past. Not to say that Chinese Calculators are great examples either.

TIP: So if you have a newer Calculator, Make up your own Map for finding key functions.

Last edited by Cliff Jones on May 31st 2018, 10:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Hewlett Packard Calculators Manuals getting worse   May 31st 2018, 10:03 am

A follow up on this topic is if you want more references to find a source of HP materials including not just the users manuals but monthly flyers,  Advertisements,  updates,  and calculator emphera.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Note: I have had no formal classes in higher math, calculus etc. So I have been inclined to maybe start a topic on using HP calculators relating to easy methods of calculating electronic formulas.
I have a couple of comments from members on not understanding higher math. 

So what I would like to know is if any of you members would like to assist in explaining  the how to steps of math Calculations.
Send me a pm or post here in this topic. study

Hewlett Packard Calculators Manuals getting worse
Page 1 of 1