ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST post you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
Any other usage, ( other than registration or Login Help) will be ignored. For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

Frozen Cathodes. Brrrrrrr.......

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: Frozen Cathodes. Brrrrrrr.......   April 8th 2018, 11:29 pm

Its not what you think.  confused

A "Frozen Cathode"  was often found in battery tube radios where the B+ was applied to the set without the "A" battery being connected. This term dates way back to the early days of radio.
 It was a commonly found problem, and could be extremely expensive, as back then a tube might cost a week (or more's) salary. 

The filament was "stripped" of emissive material due to the B+ being present and lack of filament/cathode voltage.

That's why you can find battery set tubes, like the 1L6, 1LA4, etc. with continuity but no emission.
Someone connected the "B" Battery and not the "A" or fil. battery.

affraid Also NEVER PULL A BATTERY SET TUBE WITH THE SET TURNED ON.
  The surge can blow out the filaments of the other tubes in the set, or that tube when plugged back in. I have seen it happen to others.
  Additionally, you can freeze the cathodes of the tubes in the set or cause the tube you just plugged back in to have it's filament blow open from voltage & current surge.
 (Think cold start up surge while the others might be at operating temp.)

Now this problem became fairly rare when the AC operated 6 & 12 VAC fil. became standard, but battery tubes were made differently. It could also happen when the 25, 35, & 50 V series fil. were used  in the AA5's, but that was rare. Typically in the sets using a pilot lite off a tapped rectifier fil., plugging in a rectifier "cold" could cause 1/2 the fil. to open in it, blow out the pilot lite,  or a weak fil. in another tube to fail.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Cathodes. Brrrrrrr.......   April 21st 2018, 3:28 pm

On the same note.
Never remove or insert a 1 volt tube from a turned on portable tube radio, such as the Transoceanic  for the sa!me reason. The surge of current will burn out the fillament.

Frozen Cathodes. Brrrrrrr.......
Page 1 of 1