ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
(registration and/or Login Help ONLY) For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

You gotta wonder....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
wildcat445
Technician
Technician

PostSubject: You gotta wonder....   April 24th 2018, 8:45 pm

I have old TV sets around here, some close to 60 years old that still work.  We have had TWO 55" flat panel TV's, an RCA and a Vizio that did not last two years between them.  The LED backlights went out of the RCA after about six months.  The Vizio ran about an hour then just shut off.  The backlights are still on, but audio and video are dead.  Turn it off, then back on and it comes on.  It might run for 30 seconds or three hours, then do it all over again.  The Vizio has a total of five hours on it.  Probably has a bad main board.  The wife is watching basketball on our 1992 32" RCA Home Theater.  Paid $1250 for it in 1992 and it works as well 25 years later as it did the day we brought it home.  You gotta wonder if this is really progress....

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: You gotta wonder....   April 25th 2018, 7:29 pm

Is your warentee still in effect?

Technician
Technician

PostSubject: Re: You gotta wonder....   April 26th 2018, 11:56 am

Looks like your RCA set has lasted longer than RCA.  It seems like the better brands of flat screens are getting more service life these days.

MEZLAW
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: You gotta wonder....   April 27th 2018, 5:51 am

The flat panels are getting so cheap, that I may take a chance on one soon.   I still watch TV on a 1980's Zenith.  No remote!  Turrett tuner!  300ohm and 75ohm inputs for VHF & UHF.  I use an RF converter for my DVD player.  This Zenith refuses to die!

Shocked
Back to top Go down
wildcat445
Technician
Technician

PostSubject: Re: You gotta wonder....   April 27th 2018, 8:33 am

Hello, guys!  Long time no see for a couple of you.

I got that junk Vizio exchanged for a better junk Vizio.  If it were not for my wife, I would be watching a CRT set.  The flat panels are not designed to be worked on and parts do not exist for the most part.  To Vizio's credit, giving them the benefit of the doubt and credit where it is due, they made arrangements for me to return it to the store and get another one.  The new one does not have a tuner for using it over-the-air.  You have to buy a separate tuner.  That seems to be a growing trend, especially for a 4K set like this one.  OTA does not have the resolution necessary for those sets.  We have a fiber optics cable system here and I'll have to say the picture is really good.  Not as good as our old RCA CRT set, but good and BIG.  MEZ, if you buy one, get the cheapest one you can find that will do what you want it to do.  People who pay the big money for "premium" features have money to burn and don't care if their $2000 UHD, 4K, OMG!! TV only lasts two years.  A $300 TV will look just as good in the trash can as a $2000 one will.  The plasma and LCD sets seem to have longer lives.  The LED sets are a problem.  I'm surprised their is not a class action lawsuit against the ONN Corporation over the RCA LED sets.  They have an extremely high failure rate, nearly always LED failure or related to LED failure.  Probably close to 90% of the LED55G55R120Q (the one I have) and the LED65G55R120Q have backlight issues.  My understanding is that RCA tv sets are no longer produced and that the ONN Corporation has been purchased by Walmart.  The only confirmation I have on this is that Walmart has some TV sets, ultra cheap, branded "ONN" with Walmart's name as distributor.  This is typically only done if Walmart either owns the brand outright or is exclusive distributor.  Emerson has also gone away, at least temporarily.  That was a Walmart brand.  Even though I had an issue with a Vizio TV, I would probably have to recommend the brand.  Not necessarily for the performance of the set itself, but for the customer service of the company.  I feel they went out of their way to make things right.  They have followed up three times  since I got the TV replaced.

Technician
Technician

PostSubject: Re: You gotta wonder....   April 27th 2018, 10:21 am

The authority where I work uses a large number of flat screens for monitors.  They are on 24/7/365.  Up until about 2 years ago, we were going through them like sets of batteries.  Since then, it seems like the Samsung branded sets we buy are staying in service much longer than previous units.  Maybe they are getting the idea that such a purchase isn't necessarily disposable income.

wildcat445
Technician
Technician

PostSubject: Re: You gotta wonder....   April 27th 2018, 2:25 pm

We have TV's on display in the store 24/7 365 days.  They leave them there one year, then take them down and mark them down.  They are gone within 24 hours.  People stand in line for them.  I wouldn't have a display TV on a bet.  That's partly why my having so much trouble keeping one running is so frustrating.  Our store uses LG sets for all their advertising monitors.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: You gotta wonder....   April 28th 2018, 6:36 pm

I believe LG is given a more reliable rating by Consumer Reports.

PostSubject: Re: You gotta wonder....   April 28th 2018, 9:35 pm

The high failure items are the caps in the PS.

They are running them at design ratings max parameters typically, and using, for the most part, the cheapest parts they can get. So life span is basically minimal.
 Vizio used to have fantastic tech support, along with Hitachi & LG/Zenith. Sadly due to cost cuts that has vanished. I am glad they replaced the set for you. That is unusual in this day.

Back to top Go down
wildcat445
Technician
Technician

PostSubject: Re: You gotta wonder....   April 29th 2018, 10:06 am

Vizio's customer service, in this instance, could not have been better.  They gave me the choice of a field tech coming to our home to look at it, or just taking it back to the store.  I chose the latter, they made all the arrangements.  All I had to do was to take it back and get another TV of my choice in a similar price range.  There was a $20 difference in price, in my favor, and I got the difference refunded.  What could be better than that?  The horrible ONN corporation, makers of RCA, would not answer the phone.

PostSubject: Re: You gotta wonder....   April 29th 2018, 6:38 pm

Last I had heard, RCA was owned by Thomson Consumer Electronics. 

ONN is a new one on me. Chinese  company. Per their web page:
 Shenzhen wisdom weiye electronic co., LTD

Not surprising, I guess.
Back to top Go down
wildcat445
Technician
Technician

PostSubject: Re: You gotta wonder....   April 30th 2018, 9:16 pm

Thomson sold RCA to the ONN Corporation sometime in the early 2000's.  The ONN Corporation is headquartered in California somewhere, San Diego, I think.  They have numbers in the owner's manual, but they never answer the phone.  Service information is non-existant and parts even more so.  I have been 11 months accumulating LED backlight strips enough to get this TV back up and running.  There are two panels of backlights, each with six strips, each strip has 8 LED's for a total of 108 LED's to light up the screen of that 55" TV.  The 55" and 65" models are the ones prone to losing the backlights.  The reason most often given for the failure is that the factory set the backlights at 100% brightness.  This casues the LED's to have a short life.  Instead of running them at 60 volts that most other manufacturers do these were running at 130 volts.  Nobody told owners to turn down the backlights.  There are massive failures on these two sizes of TV's.  Mostly at around two years time.  MIne only ran a little over a year before mine went out.  Even though TV's are not horribly expensive, throwing a set like that as new as it is away is wasteful to my way of thinking.  I would like to fix it on principle.  My understanding is that Walmart has either purchased the ONN Corp outright, or owns a controlling interest in it.  My understanding also is that Walmart has dropped the RCA brand on anything.  I also understand that RCA TV sets are no longer in production, partly due to the problems they are having with LED's.  There are ONN branded products in Walmart stores.  If you look at the manufacturers claim, you will see it says "Distributed by Walmart Stores, Bentonville AR."

PostSubject: Re: You gotta wonder....   

Back to top Go down

You gotta wonder....
Page 1 of 1