ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
(registration and/or Login Help ONLY) For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

Parts that are not what you think they are.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: Parts that are not what you think they are.   May 27th 2018, 1:44 am

First Item:
Yup. I ran into this type of RESISTOR and it's in the same style case as a very old black or brown cased paper mica capacitor, except its only about 1/4-3/8 inch wide and about 3/4" long.
 It has the 3 dot color code on it too.

----------------
  O    O    O
----------------  Larger than life size.

( Yeah, I am not a great artist, and since I don't have a day job, I can't give it up). Razz

I think these were predominately on Philco products, and maybe a few others. (Pre WW2 Emerson??)

I almost went crazy trying to find the "oddball capacitor" in the schematic until I realized it was in reality a resistor.

Second Item:
 While disassembling an old TV tuner I found what looked like a brown/ tan resistor with a color code of stripes on it.  The code made no sense as a resistor. It was instead a coil!  Shocked
I have since found them in TV chassis too.

Third Item: Round, hollow ceramic tube that has color dots or short stripes on it. Looks like it should be a resistor, but its a capacitor. I have seen them all with "dogbone" type leads on them.
 They come in the following body colors and are covered with a ceramic-like material;
Brownish red, White, and Green (CRL mfg. Have some NOS in a pkg.) Main usage was in TV tuners, IF ckts., and in a very few radios. Also used often in Antenna Isolator networks.

Fourth item: Looks like a Jenga stack, Either covered with red or Tan ceramic substance.
It is an early attempt at space reducing, and has many leads coming out on the bottom on all 4 sides. It is full of capacitors and resistors,( and maybe a coil at times). Setchel Carlson used them in some of their TV sets, and a few companies emulated that in table radios with the early PC boards. Usually called an Integrator.

Fifth Item: Flat rectangular object with single inline pins, but much bigger than IC pins.
Came usually coated with a Tan/ Brown ceramic, and had the CRL Logo on the side and a part number. Yup. Another integrator network. (Real PITA to troubleshoot these). Typically used in TV sets in the Vertical Circuit and I have seen them in some tube type house radios.
 If you find them, you can cross ref. them If good, they are a Hen's Tooth to find. Hang on to them. I remember having to make them up from discrete parts because they were NLA.

Sixth Item: (Yeah, Yet another Integrator Crying or Very sad )  Zenith made what looked like a 3 leaded ceramic capacitor with a peculiar part number on it.  It was made up of a ceramic (?) capacitor and resistor network inside. Why they used them, your guess is as good as mine. 
They had a half a dozen or more types of them too. Pretty much a specific part for the set. They only way we found to troubleshoot it, was by substitution. NO substitutes ever found that would work. Personally, I think it was a special balanced network, used in the Vert. & Horiz. stages; in B&W and Color TV sets. Typically a dark reddish color with yellow markings on them. Still have a few of them NOS kicking about. Now made of Unobtanium. When I worked for a Zenith ASC, we used to get calls all the time for them. Apparently an OEM only part.

Seventh Item: Looks like a long greenish resistor or a shorter 2-3 watt bakelite covered resistor with a Wide Band on one end and color bands also on it. It's a coil used in TV sets.
 IIRC, used in the Horiz section of TV sets.

Eighth Item: These were a black bodied "resistor looking" item. Some had metal ends that looked to be crimped on them. (They looked like some of the TV Boost Diodes too).
 Usually had a color dot on one end. They were a special VDR used mostly in the Vert. sections of TV sets. Another PITA item to troubleshoot when it was bad. Substitution was the only way we found to tell if they were bad or not.
Mostly I saw them in Motorola and Zenith TV sets, but others used them too. One brand of radio even used them!
 Addendum: There were some that looked like a "dogbone" type resistor with 1 color dot on them too.

Ninth Item: Long skinny thin diode usually soldered to the Flyback Transformer. Came in many colors, but usually whitish in color with diode marking on it. 
  Focus Rectifier for Color TV set. I did see one used in an 'O'scope once too.

Item # 10 A small disk object, About 3/8" diameter, silvery in color with a lead soldered to each side. 
It's a thermistor. Primarily used to soften start-up surge. Often found in RCA products and other color TV sets. I repaired these if I did not have a proper replacement. If it was not cracked, but the lead had come unsoldered, I could CAREFULLY re-solder to the silver side using silver solder. Success rate was 100% with this method, and I never had a set with that problem come back for me to re-repair for that problem. The factory used the minimal amount of solder to get them to stick in the first place.
 Note: They had some large ones, about the size of a quarter, typically covered in black, and those were degaussing thermistors used in color TV sets.
 They replaced having to manually degauss the CRT. (In theory, at least).
 They can burn & crack to pieces.

I will keep adding to the list as I remember more items. affraid
Back to top Go down

Parts that are not what you think they are.
Page 1 of 1