ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST post you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
Any other usage, ( other than registration or Login Help) will be ignored. For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

New to the Forum

Go down 
AuthorMessage
atwaterkent

PostSubject: New to the Forum   June 17th 2018, 12:19 pm

I am new to the forum and my main interest is 20's battery radios. I am starting to feel like it was an unfortunate choice as it seems there isn't much interest among current radio collectors/restorers in these radios, which means there isn't much help for someone like me who is fairly new to this hobby. I was wondering how many users of this forum have any interest in the radios of this era?
Back to top Go down
chas
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts

PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum   June 17th 2018, 5:14 pm

Battery radios found me in '63, when an estate was given to me. My early communication with other collectors began in '74 either at meets or through publications.

I still find them intriguing, especially the not so common RF sets and reflexes, in particular well crafted homemade or kit receivers.

Chas
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum   June 17th 2018, 5:39 pm

There are a lot less battery tube radios in that vintage, just because of the invention of Radio had no commercial stations to start with, one was located in Madison WI. As an experimental University broadcaster WHA. The other was KDKA the only other one that started after WHA. Most recievers were home built or kits to start with,  farmers started getting intrested to hear local farm news, and weather forecasts. Since most rural communities had no electrical power availible the only way was to use batteries. I imagine most radios were quite costly and therefore out of the average persons cost.
I have no knowledge of production numbers. As you have a interest you may find that even newer sets have the same basic functions and wiring.  So if you need assistance in troubleshooting were do have some help here. Don't be discouraged as there are many books from that era that deal with problems encountered.

You can get schematics free online and parts are readily available, however mechanical parts can be a challenge. However consumables are abundent ( tubes,  capacitors, resistors, battery power supplies and such)

There are other forums such as RadioMuseum.org and Antiqueradio.com. that are another resource.
Welcome to our forum, and participate in several different topics as your interest increases.

PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum   

Back to top Go down

New to the Forum
Page 1 of 1