ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
(registration and/or Login Help ONLY) For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

My radio room.................

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ve1arn

PostSubject: My radio room.................   June 25th 2018, 12:34 pm

Hi all!

Well, for the last couple of years, I've been saying on here that I plan on building a new radio room. But, for one reason or another, it's been so slow coming about that if I was reading my own posts about it, I would begin to wonder if I wasn't just all talk and no action.

Well, it's coming on quite well finally, and I thought I would post a few pics just to show I was on the level about it. Very Happy Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Looking at the entrance. The spot on the right with that small divider is for some shelving I have.

Looking in from the doorway. Electronics bench will be on the left and the SWL/ham radio post will be on the back wall.

Closeup of the ham station.

The ham/SWL post is going to have a couple of older dedicated computers under the bench. With the help of a 4 port KVM switch I have, I can share them all with one monitor, keyboard and mouse. That piece of black ABS pipe goes up the wall to the attic. I'll be running some antenna wire for the receivers I have up there and sending wire and/or coax down the pipe. The area below the octagon box will have a weather tight box going outside for the transmitting antenna(s) in the not too distant future.

View of the electronics bench. Lots of plugs.

Looking at the entrance with the shelving now in place.

Tomorrow, if the rain stops, I'll be outside with the table saw cutting out the bench tops.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 25th 2018, 4:11 pm

My Oh MY! Your quite the busy North of the Border Beaver Like a Star @ heaven

Believe it or not  I am working on organizing my garage. I spent most days this last week out there.
I have 2 VIDMAR (Stanley) used storage Cabinets. I will use them for Radio tubes and radio parts and some seldom used tools.

They needed a lot of rust removal, using a Palm Sander, Electric Drill with Wire wheel brush for the escalated corrosion. Lots of unbelievable rust, even under the pullout handles. Repainted one inside and out, the other just the inside. Pale green Outside, Smoke gray inside. Used Rustoleum . Now I had a hard time getting the rusty screws out from the handles. Tried several methods. Kroil, Liquid Wrench, Impact screwdriver, Impact Drill, several Phillips screwdrivers, and yesterday I tried a Stanley Battery screwdriver. Its the only thing that worked.

I ordered and received 8 parts trays, 20 pockets each. I can fit 4 in one pullout drawer.

Now i just have to organize a parts storage list and mark them with embossing tape and a label maker.

Got all my cans of spray paint on one shelve and on a wobbly 5 tier metal storage shelving cleaning supplies, volatile paint thinners ect. then oils.

I found stuff I kept replacing because I couldn't find half the stuff I needed from time to time. scratch

if i get the time i will photograph after the fact. and post here.

GOOD JOB on your Radio Room.

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 25th 2018, 5:09 pm

I like cabinets like the one you have. I imagine it looks pretty decent now that you have it finished too.

I had a pretty decent tax refund this year which made this possible. I even had enough to buy that black tool cabinet and matching chest for the top of it too. Our Canadian Tire store had a 4 day sale and I got both of them for $700 off regular price. My electronics tools and my machinist tools all fit in it with still extra room. The tool chest is in the main shop and it will hold my mechanics tools with extra space. I freed up a total of 3 tool chests by buying these 2. Smile

Cliff.... it's standard procedure for when you can't find something, buy it and within a day or so, the missing item will turn up. Razz

Looking forward to seeing photos of your setup when you get it done. I would also like to see those parts trays too. Right now, most of the small parts I have are in assorted sizes of hanging parts drawers. I'm always looking for better ideas for small parts storage.

My room is slowly coming along. My RA makes it difficult to spend a continuous amount of time working on it. Especially when working over my head even though the ceiling was low. I am seeing the end of the tunnel though, and that's what counts.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 26th 2018, 10:47 am

I was envious of your tool chest, shown in those Pictures!
Here's a Picture of the parts trays.
I am thinking about getting felt or rubberized mats for each of the drawers.
Today I will move all of my tubes into one of the Cabinets. Will free up some room in the radio room.

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 26th 2018, 3:23 pm

If you have room left over, you're not doing it right! 
Laughing
Looks like it's going to be nice when its finished.

When I installed my bench, I put a 2 ckt. breaker box on it. I flip both switches and I know anything on it is dead, plus I used smaller breakers than the main panel, so if I pop one, I don't have to get to the main panel to reset.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 26th 2018, 5:58 pm

Good point on having extra room Frank! Very Happy 
I ran a power cable to a slave panel just outside the new room. In it are 3 breakers. One for the electronics side, another for the radio side and the third for the baseboard heater. The circuit for the ceiling light and the outlet at the back corner under the bench was already there.

Since the room is located at the extreme opposite end of the house, I'm trying to come up with some way of monitoring it when I am in the other end of the house for the day. By monitoring, I mean smoke detector, etc. Another challenge for me. I'm open to any ideas here too. Smile
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 27th 2018, 8:03 am

Good work!

MEZLAW
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 27th 2018, 7:19 pm

Looks great, time for me to think about building a better space for myself!   Idea
Back to top Go down
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 27th 2018, 7:37 pm

How about using a baby monitor?
They are wireless, fairly cheap and have both audio & video.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 28th 2018, 5:44 am

That does seem like a decent option Frank. I hadn't thought of a baby monitor. Thanks. Smile
Back to top Go down
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 29th 2018, 1:11 pm

Another update to the radio/electronics room. Bench top is on and the lower portion is painted, the ceiling is finished and painted and the shelving now has the trim around it. Next step is the window. Will post a before and after shot when I can.

Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 29th 2018, 1:16 pm

Looks like you'll be all set when the cold weather starts.

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 29th 2018, 2:45 pm

I hope to be ready when the cold weather comes. It's taken me long enough to get this far. I was really hoping to have this ready last year at this time, but an unexpected major expense came up and I had to put this on the back burner.

I've been saying that I'm at the point where I'm getting kinda tired of working on the room, I want to work in the room. Razz
Back to top Go down
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 29th 2018, 7:23 pm

Where is the bar & BBQ pit going to be in there? tongue Laughing
Back to top Go down
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 30th 2018, 2:46 am

Frank, being a bit cramped for space, the shelving is for the beer storage and I'll just place the BBQ outside the window. The room is at ground level so, it's just a matter of leaving the window open to have access to it. If it gets a tad smokey, I just close the window.

I did give up on putting a bed in there, and will have to settle for a hammock due to the space limitations. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dan Walker
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 30th 2018, 6:47 am

A baby monitor would be a good idea, especially if it is a "Zenith Radio  Nurse".
 Dan in Calgary
Back to top Go down
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 30th 2018, 12:09 pm

Dan in Calgary........... may I use you as a reference to justify the purchase please? It could really help. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 30th 2018, 3:34 pm

It looks great.  I can imagine winter arrives a bit early up your way.  I hope that room has heat! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   June 30th 2018, 4:08 pm

Hi Mezlaw, yep, right under the window is a 1000 watt baseboard heater. The room looks a tad bigger in the photos than it actually is, so that will be more than enough to heat it. Not much on a lot of heat anyway, so I don't see myself keeping it too hot. Though, I freely admit that when the N/NW winds are blowing directly off of the Gulf of Maine which is right across the road from me, that heater will be most welcome. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   July 6th 2018, 12:25 pm

Cliff, where did you get those parts trays? I'm trying to decide, do I make mine, or buy them. Looking for buying choices right now.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   July 6th 2018, 1:31 pm

Another update to the radio room...........

I'm finally getting into the home stretch. Just finished the window area today. I knew what I wanted here, but the paint layout had me wondering between 2 different combinations. After much thinking and trying to decide which way to paint it, I finally went on line and found a good math algorithm to help me decide. So, heads came up 2 out of 3, and this made my mind up for me. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

This is the before shot.............

And this is the final finished product.............

I actually see an end to the construction coming.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   July 6th 2018, 1:58 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Cliff, where did you get those parts trays? I'm trying to decide, do I make mine, or buy them. Looking for buying choices right now.
Click Here

I would suggest you install a muffin fan mounted in the window shelving, you will notice the shelving will stay cooler and you will get better heating in the room. One house I lived in had baseboard heaters, had a fan blowing on the heater and it made a huge difference in comfort.

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   July 6th 2018, 2:21 pm

Thanks for the link Cliff!

As for the fan, I will keep that in mind when the winter comes for sure. It's not a big room, so I want to see just what the heater will do as is. Though, I do like the idea of a fan regardless. Smile
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   July 7th 2018, 11:04 am

I had the same thoughts as Cliff with heat in/on the shelves.  

It looks like you're already using the new bench for radio repair!  Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   July 7th 2018, 11:39 am

Hi Mezlaw,

Not really a radio repair yet. I put it there to take a few pictures of it to send to a radio station.It was a promo set from way back from radio station CHFI. I wanted to see if they had any info on it. Unfortunately, they can't seem to help me, but they were really interested in seeing what it looked like, so I snapped 3 photos of it and sent it in. Haven't heard back from them yet. They said they would dig into it a bit more to see what, if anything, they could come up with for info on it.

It has a chrome plated plastic tag with the station's call sign and the AM & FM frequencies on it. As well, the tuning dial has the call sign on it with the dial frequencies of their station in red with the other numbers black in color.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   July 9th 2018, 5:45 pm

I went to LOWES and Picked up 2  LED fluorescent style fixtures at $39 each. Got Ambitious and removed my old tube type in the garage. I'm torn between both in the garage or a second one in my radio room. All these decisions are melting my mind No

Technician
Technician

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   July 9th 2018, 6:14 pm

I got a couple to start on the 3 in my garage.  Now to find a day that won't swoon me trying to work in there.  It's been 90 every day.

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   July 10th 2018, 6:23 am

Cliff, the light in the radio room ceiling is a low profile LED one that was on sale. Thinking of trying out an under the shelf LED light for when I'm working there as well to see what differences it might make.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My radio room.................   

Back to top Go down

My radio room.................
Page 1 of 1